Exporting Playlists (WinXP)

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

MattPaintballer

SLEEP NOW IN THE FIRE!!!
I got a new computer and I'm transferring my music from the old one to the new one and I want to keep the playlists. I did right click>export song list and you can export as .xml and .txt. I tried both, my problem is they include everything, all the metadata, location of the file on the hard drive, play count, date added, etc. Is there a way I can get just artist/track name or artist/album/track name?

MattPaintballer

SLEEP NOW IN THE FIRE!!!
Since it stores the location of the file I think it tries to load the file from there, but I've reorganized my music so it can't find some of it. Any ideas?

Essin

If you have the option to start all over with this, the backup/restore option would serve you well.

MattPaintballer

SLEEP NOW IN THE FIRE!!!
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I got a new computer and I transferred all my music from the old one to the new one. I changed folder hierarchy and reorganized all my music. The option Export Song List gives you an .xml or .txt file (whichever you specify) that contains all information iTunes uses on the track.

Name Artist Composer Album Grouping Genre Size Time Disc Number Disc Count Track Number Track Count Year Date Modified Date Added Bit Rate Sample Rate Volume Adjustment Kind Equalizer Comments Play Count Last Played Skip Count Last Skipped My Rating Location

Is there a way I can get either a) artist, album & track name or b) import the .xml or .txt and have iTunes search for each song in my library and create the playlist like that?

S2_Mac

To answer your first question: no, you can't limit the "Export" function to particular fields (since without all that info, expecially the path, it's not really an itunes playlist). If just want that info, you can set the iTunes window to display only the fields you're interested in; then display a playlist and select every track; Copy; paste into word processor or Excel, play with the tab-delimited fields in line-delimited records.

To answer your second question: no, iTunes won't go out and search for files; you have to tell iTunes where the files are -- by locating each "missing file" in a file dialog (tedious), or by re-adding the moved files to iTunes and weeding out dupes.