'export library' problem with iTunes

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

juhill

Hello

I have two Mac computers (one 10.6 and one with 10.7) in two differents places and one external HD containing my itunes library.
I would like to be able to use this library one my two computers without duplicating my library.
I made every settings to locate the library on my two computers and it works, but ...

Let's say I modify my library by modifying the 'genre' of a record and my computer 1. Then I choose 'export library' and re-import the created file in itunes on the computer 2.

The problem is that there are mistakes on the modified files : for instance only 10 out of 12 songs have the new 'genre' and the two other ones have the old 'genre'.

I tried several times but no changes.

Any solution ? Maybe there's another way to

cjmnews

Staff member
Both iTunes should be the same version. There can be problems loading a newer library into an older iTunes.

The other item that could be happening is if these are MP3 files, and you made this change, then played the files, the original Genre would be read from the MP3 and iTunes would get updated with the wrong Genre. To fix this, you would change the genre again. Then select the MP3 files and choose Convert ID3 use version 2.3 and this will write the iTunes changes out to the MP3 files. This will make the new tags stick when you play the song.

You could avoid the import export process completely if you copy the iTunes Library.ilt file to the external drive. Hold the SHIFT key when you start iTunes the first time after this copy, and choose the iTunes Library.itl file on the external drive. Repeat for second system.

After this just start iTunes normally and it will choose the external drive library by default. This will keep it in sync always.