Error 1604 when trying to restore

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

js0012

I tried to upgrade my Ipod Touch from firmware 2.0 (not Jailbroken) to 2.0.1 last night. It locked up and gave me a 1604 error. I have tried to restore it many times on 3 different computers (an XP machine, a Vista machine and a Macbook) and keep getting the same 1604 error. My Ipod looks like it is restoring properly but then I get the error and the screen is locked showing the white apple. I think I am putting the Ipod into DFU mode by first holding the power button and the home button until the screen goes blank. I then hold the home button until Itunes recognizes the Ipod. Itunes gives me the message that it has detected the Ipod in Recovery Mode and prompts me to restore it. I keep trying to restore to 2.0.1 or hitting the shift button and selecting the 2.0 firmware. In either case, I get the 1604 error.

I have uninstalled Itunes, Apple Mobile Device, Quick Time and Apple Software Update programs and reinstalled but still get the 1604. I tried this on the Vista machine and the XP machine.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

gbutler49

I had the same thing and tried everything. Then I thought it could be Norton Internet Security that was causing the problem, so I disabled it (after switching off my wireless access point). Tried to restore again and it worked first time! Hope this works for you.