• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

Encoding with QuickTime 7

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

mkprk

Has anyone tried encoding with QuickTime yet? Im pretty sure I read somewhere on Apples site that it encodes in real time but the past couple times Ive done it, its taken forever. I first did the nano ad, just to play around, and that probably took about 30 mins, but looked greated compared to mpeg-2. I tried a music video Ive got and that took hours and then there wasnt any sound either. I was just wondering if its my computer or if theres something wrong with the new version of QuickTime...

filburt1

Scratchless 30 GB 5G
Website
www.webdesignforums.net
It is nowhere near real-time. In fact it's mindnumbingly slow at 1 FPS or less. You are better off trying another application such as 3GP_Converter.

lzmutant

filburt1 said:
It is nowhere near real-time. In fact it's mindnumbingly slow at 1 FPS or less. You are better off trying another application such as 3GP_Converter.
In anticipation of receiving my new iPod, I thought I'd convert my music video collection in advance. I bought Quicktime Pro, and found that its performance is UNACCEPTABLE. A five minute video is taking about 50 minutes. That's just ridiculous.

I'd be happy to use the 3GP Converter program - but it is not mac-compatible. I've read a couple of solutions for the PC crowd...but does anyone have a solution for we Mac users?

Many thanks!
Larry Z.

:)

Last edited:

Rusty Clown

Website
bsak.blogspot.com
IMO the best program for encoding into this format (on Windows) is PSP Video 9. Its quick and has minimal redundant data, probably the best AVC/H.264 encoder out there.

Other PSP apps like PSPware (Mac/Windows) Can encode and create a mini library of MPEG 4 files with small file sizes and acceptable quality using an alternative-to-quicktime encoder, if you wish to do so.

Tenfold

Podding while Jibbing
Compressor should work if you have Final Cut Pro loaded on your Mac. I don't see why it wouldn't. You just have to know the right video specs.

lzmutant

Tenfold said:
Compressor should work if you have Final Cut Pro loaded on your Mac. I don't see why it wouldn't. You just have to know the right video specs.
Thanks for the note - but I don't have Final Cut Pro... :(

I'm hoping there's a reasonably priced solution out there... I've only done 6 videos in 6 hours...

Many thanks!
Larry Z.

3 and counting

ive been using handbrake to encode on my mac. is there a faster solution for uhh, $0? LOL

it takes so long to encode a 2 hour movie, it was in the 10 hour eta range, and it taook about 6 for about 1:20. im encoding lost season 1 disc 6 right now with the longest yard up next. i did star wars epside IV last night, but im in love with the final product

3 and counting

ive been using handbrake to encode on my mac. is there a faster solution for uhh, $0? LOL

it takes so long to encode a 2 hour movie, it was in the 10 hour eta range, and it taook about 6 for about 1:20. im encoding lost season 1 disc 6 right now with the longest yard up next. i did star wars epside IV last night, but im in love with the final product

mkprk said:
Has anyone tried encoding with QuickTime yet? Im pretty sure I read somewhere on Apples site that it encodes in real time but the past couple times Ive done it, its taken forever. I first did the nano ad, just to play around, and that probably took about 30 mins, but looked greated compared to mpeg-2. I tried a music video Ive got and that took hours and then there wasnt any sound either. I was just wondering if its my computer or if theres something wrong with the new version of QuickTime...

The first post here has the link to the Apple tutorial for QT 7 Pro & the FAQ's link is at the bottom of the 1st post. This may be where you saw the info:
http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=123067