Embed artwork in all tracks of an album

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

intel

I have art in two places, the apple directory for downloaded and manually place and saved into tracks. Those with art in tracks are usually only one of the tracks of an album.

Goal***

Embed all tracks with art from both of these places. I have embed artwork from Doug's Scripts but it pulls from the apple directory only. Is there a way to do this?

Thx:D

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
Embedding the artwork into the tags of your tracks is good because that's more permanent and transferrable should you choose to copy tracks to a separate library or application. There's really no need to keep artwork in a separate place, unless you need the artwork there so that a script can pick it up and embed it into the tags. But once that's done, delete the external artwork.

My advice? Use the script and let it embed as much artwork as it can find. Then delete the artwork folder entirely and make a smart playlist defined as "Has Artwork is False", that will locate tracks that are missing the artwork. You need to first delete the folder containing artwork because the smart playlist can't tell the difference between embedded artwork and artwork that is "linked" to a track. Once you find the tracks that have no artwork, then manually embed the artwork into them.

People use different procedures to get artwork, I used to use Amazon or Google but most times I'll let iTunes find the artwork, then I'll copy it and paste it into the tag to make it permanent. Occasionally I'll still go to other sources if the iTunes artwork is wrong or not the best quality or if it doesn't exist in iTunes. There are also websites that let you upload your library .xml file, then spit back a long page of all the artwork that you can copy and paste into your tags. And just to confirm, you do know that you can paste artwork into the tags of multiple items, right? They just need to be the same album.

Brucetunes

People use different procedures to get artwork, I used to use Amazon or Google but most times I'll let iTunes find the artwork, then I'll copy it and paste it into the tag to make it permanent.
Sorry I'm resurrecting an older thread but can you explain how to put the artwork that iTunes finds in to the tag.

iTunes artwork has been vexing me for seven years. Most of the time I let iTunes find it but sometimes as mentioned it can't or gets it wrong then I manually add it. I know that artwork is "attached" to the songs that way but I can't see a difference when I view albums where iTunes found the artwork. Artwork is there under the artwork tab (get info-->artwork) either way.

S2_Mac

but I can't see a difference when I view albums where iTunes found the artwork. Artwork is there under the artwork tab (get info-->artwork) either way.

The difference is that iTunes Store art downloads are merely "linked" to your files, while art that is pasted into a file actually becomes part of the file. Downloaded art is similar to play counts in this respect -- iTunes keeps a running count of all the times you play each track; these counts are stored in the iTunes Library file and not in the actual music files. That is, the iTunes library file links the play counts to your files, rather than reading the information from the files themselves. When you copy a song file to a memory stick and bring it to another computer, no play count information accompanies the file (because that information is not stored in the file).

OTOH, when you change a track's Album name in iTunes, that information is written to the music file. You could take that file to another computer and any tag-reading program would see the new Album name; this is because the Album tag has been "embedded" in the file. Embedded art works the same way.

The advantages of Store art are that it's easy and quick; the downside is that the art is not "portable" -- it won't move with the file to another computer or non-Apple device (nor will downloaded art survive a loss of your iTunes Library -- another good reason to keep your iTunes backed up ;-). If you have loads of downloaded art that you want to embed, there are scripts available to make it easy. For Macs, get Doug's Embed Art script. For Windows, the standard has been Teridon's iTunes_insert_artwork script, but it broke with iTunes version 10; IIRC, iLounge's kornchild2002 produced a fix...but I don't know where to find it.

Brucetunes

Understood. The poster mentioned that he lets iTunes get the artwork and then copies it into the tag so it is attached. That's what I am asking about. I know how to manually add artwork and do it occasionally but don't understand how to copy the artwork iTunes finds if the artwork is already there. When I manually add artwork there is none to start, but if iTunes finds it there is artwork under the artwok tab.

S2_Mac

On the few ocassions that I've downloaded art from the Store, I've always used a script to embed it later...so my technique on doing it by-hand is p'bly shaky.

Select a track from the album and Get Info; click on the Artwork tab to display the album art; click on the art to select it and then Ctrl-C to copy it; close the Info box. Now select every track in the album and Get Info; click on the Info tab. Click inside the Artwork box to select it, then press Ctrl-V to paste; click the OK button (or Save, or whatever it is in Windows iTunes) to sav the change. The artwork will now be embedded in the file. There's p'bly a quicker way of doing it, but this should work.

Brucetunes

On the few ocassions that I've downloaded art from the Store, I've always used a script to embed it later...so my technique on doing it by-hand is p'bly shaky.
I think I have it figured out. Problem is I have 17000 songs and most of them have downloaded artwork. I'm not that concerned as I had to transfer my iTunes to a new computer a few months ago and most of the artwork showed up. I had to retrieve some but it wasn't that big a deal.

I've thought about embedding all my artwork but it is a daunting task. I certainly can do everything from this point forward but just getting through my "A" artists took forever.

Not sure I would understand the script you refer to but if you think it may help you can give it a shot.