ejecting the pod

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

liet

Is there a way for the pod to just charge while connected to the computer? I tried stopping the pod with the windows thing but it just keeps spinning and I read its bad to leave it spinning for a long time. Is my only solution leaving it to charge on the wall?

Kenny

Super Man
If you're using the new iPods, then just unmount and it will just recharge.

Unfortunately, all older models are not capable of doing this.

seaman

The only way to charge an IPod when connected is to have it connected to a firewire port. I usually try to make sure I have a good charge before I connect b/c synching eats up battery life.

I've had an instance where i couldnt get windows to release the IPod (or vice versa). I basically let the IPods battery go down, then reconnected when it went dead, then recharged. While I lost all my files (and my calendar and notes folders), the Ipod worked fine. You can add back the notes and calendar files through Windows Exporer.

Kenny

Super Man
ummm, I dont understand what seaman is talking about either, so just read this:

To recharge with an older iPod, you have to two possible methods:

1. By connecting the adapter to an electrical outlet. The iPod recharges, and no HDD spinning.

2. By connecting the firewire cable to the computer. The iPod recharges, however the HDD spins (regardless if the unit is mounted or unmounted.) This of course applies to only the older iPods.

Timmy Yak

Dr. Sexy Pants
I would suggest just charging it in the wall. If you charge it on your computer it takes alot longer and it's not to good for the iPod or the computer.

seaman said:
b/c synching eats up battery life.
No it doesn't.

seaman

Sorry, let me clarify...

Ipods only charge when connected to a computer through a POWERED firewire port. Some have reported problems that if you do a high volume synch (e.g., 10 gig), the synch can drain your battery if u have an unpowered port and start without a fully charged battery. Writing to the HDD is a big power drain...apparently far more than just reading.

No need to fear though. I've had my new 30gig die while connected. I also once had my XP system unable to recognize the IPod to safely eject. In both cases, after the battery died, I disconnected, charged, reset, and in my case re-created folders (notes, contacts, calendar), with no lasting problems.

Now, I only synch the pod with a strong (3 segments) battery charge.

akelsall

How do we know if our firewire is powered?
I have the new 15gb ipod.
I am using a PCI firewire card. When i connect the ipod, it indicates that it is charging. But it takes forever. I had 4 battery indicators left when i started (full) and it is still charging about 3 hours later. And it is unmounted too.
I did a major transfer of 7gb when i first connected, but the whole time the charging indicator was moving. So it was charging while i transfered.
Any help?
thanks

akelsall

AHAH
i think i know.
My firewire card's instructions say that if there is a high power consuming device such as a SBP-2 Hard disk then you can connect a lead from the powersupply in the computer to the PCI card to provide the additional power required by the disk.
Then i looked in the device manager and the iPod is an SBP2 HD.
Amusing huh, no wonder it never recharges when it is connected!
Gotta get the confidence now to connect the powersupply to the card.
*fingers crossed.