EarthCore Discussion Thread

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

MikeM

Administrator
Anyone else going to try to listen to this Podcast-only novel?

I'm going to give it a shot. Why not- it's free!

http://www.scottsigler.net/earthcore/

Disclaimer from the site:
Warning! This is not a kid's book -- EarthCore runs the gammut of politically incorrect topics, from language to sex to raw violence.

indyhouse

Nano 2GB & 40GB 4G Owner
I'm giving it a shot, too; haven't listened yet but the prologue is on my iPod now.

Cloysterpeteuk

My download is @ 91%. Not going to listen to it though, going to wait the 5 months then put it on the ipod as a complete book. If I only listen to an hour a week it will do my head in!.

Last edited:

Cloysterpeteuk

He says on his site is it free?, and am I conning you?. Yes to both questions!. What the hell does that mean?, I hope he's just joking or will he do something nasty like let people download 19 parts, then turn round and say you have to pay for the last bit.

MikeM

Administrator
If he does that, I'm guessing someone will pay and share the file around. ;) Its either free or it isn't...

MikeM

Administrator
Just heard the Prologue.

Reactions:

I'm not quite sold on the reading style. The narrator's voice seems a little too 'into' the story at times when it shouldn't be. Something like when an adult reads to a group of children and over-emphasizes everything.

As far as the story, I got into it. Its a decent set-up using a common tactic of giving a tasty bit early on. I expect the story to start off a bit slower now and begin character development.

I didn't listen to the 'upcoming' stuff. I like to be surprised.

anypats

I listened to the Prologue as well and I like the story line. I also listened to the 'upcoming' stuff and it didn't really give anything away but it did give enough to make you anticipate the next segment. It's really nothing more than on TV when you see "Next week on ____."

The only thing I really didn't like about it was when the narrator changes his voice for different characters. Especially the whiny voice.

I've never listened to a full audio book. I personally like reading. However, seeing that this isn't available other than an audio book and it's free I figure I'll try it out.

Cloysterpeteuk

His voice annoys me, then again all American accents drive me nuts but you learn to live with it when you listen to a lot of audio titles. It's a shame audiobooks don't have a more worldwide market (most are not released in England), then we would get less Americanised titles like with the movies. As the Hollywood blockbusters are truly world wide revenue takers all the Yanky regional accents are eliminated, I can't even remember the last time I noticed a distinct American accent in a film. I can't see it ever being the case with audio books though, what with 90% of worldwide sales being to Americans. While on the subject which version of the Harry Potter titles do you listen to?, I bet you would be rather miffed if the only option available was the English Stephen Fry reading wouldn't you.

MikeM

Administrator
Uh.... okay. I'm assuming its the author reading the book and that he's using his own accent. The characters in the prologue are American students, so the accent would fit them.

I have watched the Harry Potter films many times and don't find the accents annoying. I guess that its just you.

robert

Cloysterpeteuk said:
...While on the subject which version of the Harry Potter titles do you listen to?, I bet you would be rather miffed if the only option available was the English Stephen Fry reading wouldn't you.
Actually, with my not-so-deep southern accent (which we take exception to being characterized as yank :D), I went out of my way to obtain, on eBay, the delightful UK version of Harry Potter Stephen Fry narration. Some audio books just don't sound right in other than a UK accent. Then there is Bill Bryson, whose books I have to listen to on iPod faster speed to keep from going to sleep. Most attempts at "southern" accents in a movies or audio books send chills up my spine just like the sound of fingernails on a chalk board does. The Patrick O'Brian Maturin series would be ludicrous in any US accent.

John Lee is good on several audible books. Cloud of Sparrows, The Otorio Trilogy, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell are well narrated. Empress Orchid and I, Claudius are particularly bad narrations of otherwise good audio books -- the latter being a UK accent with an added very distracting slurp.

Best to listen to the sample before purchasing.

Cloysterpeteuk

I think the Yank accents that I can most put up with is the southern Alabama Forrest Gump drawl, that just cracks me up.

There are plenty of outrageous accents over here, an amazing variety for such a small island, quite strange how they all developed.

The three most weird are probably:-

brum (Birmingham) - They would pronounce it as BUR-MING-HUM, with an emphasis on the G.
liverpudlian (Liverpool) - Makes me cringe so bad!, ten times as bad with women as well. We have this Airport reality tv prog which follows the staff at Liverpool airport, I swear the viewing figures must collapse whenever the female staff get irate, no-one could stand that racket for long.
Geordie (Newcastle) - We have this pair of real popular jokers over here called Ant and Dec, prime time prats who are geordies, they had to take elocution classes to tone it down for the Southern folk who coundn't understand them.

Thank god these never find there way into movies or audio titles.

Scott Sigler

Website
www.scottsigler.net
This is awesome. I wrote the book, and never thought I'd be banged on for my "accent." Yeah, it sounds like a yank-produced book, I'm American! Not much I can do about it, fellas, I was born sounding like this.

I hope you're all enjoying the book. I love that my voice annoys Cloysterpunk, but he's still listening. That's awesome! I'm posting this strand at my blog, I need to share this with my readers.

Hey vote for my podcast at PodcastAlley.com -- all you have to do is visit http://www.scottsigler.net/earthcore and then vote in the upper-right-hand corner.

MikeM

Administrator
Welcome to the Lounge Scott!

I just just finished through Chapter 5. I got behind and heard 1-5 all at once.

I'm definitely liking it, especially for the price. ;)

And speaking of voice/accents, your female voices aren't half bad. [although maybe not half good sometimes. :) ]

Cloysterpeteuk

hahahahhahahahahahahahahaha

jeez mareez! Proper classic!

Believe it or not but I just came back to this thread from Scott's Earthcore homepage and the first thing I saw was the line 'The English bag on my American accent' on his site!. Got my lousy mind thinking 'UH Oh what's this all about!', reading further down I thought 'Oh you have got to be ####ting me', I was just about cracked up when I realised there was no other post on here but mine regarding your highly amusing dulcet tones. I think it was the part about being a gent that sent me over the end, if you had said 'English Gent' then I would have just had to go and get my slippers, pipe, bowler hat, tweed jacket and brew (translation - cup of tea) and wallow in the cheek of it all.

This is most definately a case of Scott's publicity drive kicking into over gear, don't worry you can always count on us podders to spread the word. We do need information though, don't we guys?, lots of questions while our resident podcaster extraordinaire is in the house.

As for the accents I just thought it would be something worth mentioning as it probably never occurs to you Yanky doodles, hell you all probably think us Limeys speak Queen's English, all like Hugh Grant or something. You do don't you?. Honest to god I swear I have never met anyone who talks the Queen's English anymore, but that said i've never been to London before, that's also probably hard for you to believe - that in such a small little Island i've never visited my own capitol. In London you might get some Queen's English from the stuffy politicians at the houses of parliament but hang around North London and you'll get to experiance the scourge of the cockeney accent, that's a noise that will either send you to the grim reaper right there and then, or put you in the looney bin till the end of your days.

When mentioning your accent Scott there was something else that i've noticed about soooo many Americans, it comes across in every sentence, every letter you type and every word you say, even in the posture of your stance in your little picture!. What is it?, well it's your completely over the topness, what would you call it?, enthusiasm?, brashness? nay got to be complete EXUBERANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! On the extreme side!. My older brother on hearing your prologue start up:-

*Puzzled expression* What the hell is that? Me:- This podcast novel download whatsit that i've been downloading. him:- How on earth can you listen to that?, sounds like some extreme WWF wrestling ring intro remix!. Me:- That's Yanks for ya, they can afford to be loud because they got more space to live in than us.

Are all Americans like this?, all hyper excited like you've been on a decade long acid trip?. Personally, being a kind of half comatose unemotional person I cannot relate, by far the most animated i've been in weeks is writing this post, as others who have read my usual comments will confirm. From my point of view this is rather refreshing coming from such a dreary rain sodden isles, It doesn't half confuse me though, bemused as a dog chasing it's tail is an understatement!, just were does this come from?. Do you buy it in a tin at Walmart or something?. I really must insist that you please lessen the ear splitting intros there really is a limit on how much my poor ears can take!.

I feel forever in your debt Scott (yeah, very melodramatic I know) but it's true. Why?, well not only for Earthcore but I read an interview with you somewhere where you mentioned the Dragonpage. So I tootled along half asleep looked and had a little looksie...

WoooHoooo!!!!!!!!!

Was I chuffed (translation-ecstatic) to find out they had two other podcast novels on the go!, how sweet was that :) . So I spent the rest of the night downloading all these new audio nuggets on my rickety old connection. Of course i'm gonna keep listening though i'm a total audio junkie now!, need my regular download fix or ELSE!.

Getting serious now let me/us know your thoughts on this new medium of podcast novels, where do you think they are heading?, will you be able to find a way to keep them free and open to the masses?, any more of your own planned for the future?.

Speaking to Tee Morris about his future plans he says his next podcast novel project (likely to be the billibub novel) will have to be approached differently, he is finding problems with devoting the necessary time and resources to the job that's required to make sure the thing isn't a half arsed setup. Are you finding the same problems?, how close are you to securing your sponsorship target of 5000 subscribers?. I know you are just using your podcast to drum up interest in a print publication where the real money is at the moment, but I really hope you continue to support this new medium in the future - yeah I get carried away but I just love these podcast novel things. Before Earthcore I had never even touched a podcast!.

Back to Tee and one thing he was looking at was inserting sponsors messages at the start, middle and end of every podcast to fund the gig. You can guess my opinion of that, to use American it SUCKS!. I really couldn't put up with that in what is still, to me at least, a novel albeit one in a different medium. It would totally kill all momentum that the novel had built up, could be one of the few things that would sour me from the downloads.
If you ever go down this route please, please produce two downloads, one free ad supported, one pay per chapter via paypal deal. Over here the selection of spoken audio content is abysmal, hardly any released, extortionate prices even audible.com doesn't fully support us, so paying something like paperback prices (that's US paperback prices, not ours) would appeal greatly. With 6,000,000 podcasters in the US alone once established a podcasting novel site with a decent subscription system and a core group of authors producing new content would thrive. With careful management there is no reason why it can't be profitable, is there?. Unless you Yanks are more tight fisted that I assume?.

Finally, does voting at that site accomplish anything?. If it's going to help you get/win/gain anything then i'll go vote, if not then I can't be arsed.

Scott Sigler

Website
www.scottsigler.net
The Yank talks back!

First of all, I actually use the term "gentlemen" and "gents" in my day-to-day speech. I hadn't thought of the term "English Gents," but now that I've heard it, I love it! If you don't mind, I'll read all future posts picturing you in the smoking jacket by the fire with the pipe in one hand, the glass of brandy in the other.

I'm completely over-the-top, it's true. If you thought it sounded like a WWE introduction, mission accomplished! I'm having a ball with this and want to entertain people. I actually think my reading is a bit dry and needs some spicing up. Bottom line is I'm really, really happy you're enjoying this podcast.

I currently have at least 1,300 subscribers, possibly 2,000, possibly more. I have a specific file host for the giant 22MB mp3 files of this podcast, otherwise I'd get killed on bandwith. Unfortunately, this guy doesn't log downloads. So that means I can track RSS subs through FeedBurner, but I can't track individual downloads. For example, the Dragon Page recently siad htey have 300 RSS subscribers, but are logging 5,000 downloads of each podcast. I don't know if I have that same ratio, but it leads me to believe there's a lot of people downloading my individual links -- therefore, I'm not sure WHAT my subscription rate is.

I've considered selling ads. For a free book, I don't think it's much to ask of a reader to listen to 15 second of ad in the beginning. For example, check out enduranceradio.com -- they have a show sponsor and it's almost transparent. But hey, I'm an American, and I'm looking for the dollars at the end of this rainbow.

Even if I don't make a penny, as long as people are enjoying the story, that's what matters.

-Scott Sigler-
www.scottsigler.net

Scott Sigler

Website
www.scottsigler.net
PodcastAlley.com

I forgot to answer your question about PodcastAlley.com. Does it "mean" anything? Not really, it's a matter of who can get out the most votes, not which podcast is really the most popular. However, the site gets a lot of traffic, so I'm looking at it as a promotional tool.

If I can get into the Top-10, it would expose EarthCore to new listeners, and that's what I'm after. So I'm hoping to climb up there and see what happens.

-Scott-

Cloysterpeteuk

Pipe in my hand?, nasty stuff, never touched a pipe never tried the stuff that goes into it. Coughing all the time with cancer ridden lungs would be offputting while i'm listening to these podcasts!.

Just downloaded the latest chapter (well it's 41% through as I type), you need to change the text on your site though, it says:-

Chapter 6 & 7:
Greetings faitful listeners. Sonny now works for Connell, and Connell has the location of the platinum-rich "Silver Spring."

Click here to download Chapter 5.

Trying to confuse us?.

Just did the podcast alley thing, I see your at 27 or 28, they should include little arrows next to the entries so we can see which casts are moving up and down. What's with that catholic show @no1 spot?, loads of techincally minded catholic I guess, either that or everyone is trying to get back in touch with there faith after the Pope's death. I confess the only other podcasts i've downloaded are a couple from gethurt.com, has to be something real interesting for me to bother downloading it!. I'm also one of those who prefers to do things the manual way, like go onto your site and d/l the stuff myself. I did try the ipodder thingy but it was annoying the hell out of me so it only lasted on my comp for twenty minutes or so.

A 15 second ad at the start I could live with, guess it wouldn't be so much different to your current intros - although keep them at a standard length, that way it's all the easier to scrub my way right past them with the scroll wheel :) . I think an ad at the start middle and end would dement me so much I would prefer to pay.

Another question is what is the bladed thing on the front cover?, some sort of lovely weapon?.

Just been having a closer look at your site and noticed you had wrote other stuff, and just the kind of stuff i'm interested in, so if this gig is a success can we expect 'casts of Infection and Ancestor?. I'm a total sucker for the monster story, never tire of them - you should see the mountain of monster movies I have on disc, all the classics the reviewers hate I love!, man eating anything/death bringing/possesion/viruses/ghosties/triffids/frog men from Mongolia and im there.

Having no writing ability or experience with publishers i'm dismayed that your having such a hard time finding a publisher, especially consider the amount of so called 'crime thrillers' they regurgitate these days. They surely can't be saying there isn't a market for this kind of stuff, or is it more of a case of Oh, we can't afford to spend anything on new unproven authors at this time kind of situation?. Anyway, i'm just telling you that I WILL read those two novels, I must have something new to read after Earthcore. Of course I would prefer to listen to them but if you never do them as podcasts then I will just paypal you some $ for the e-book, or text file or whatever medium you have them in, and if you don't let me read them then this English Gent will be taking a little hol, sorry vacation, over to sunny San Fran to get them with threat of violence. Ok so it might not work because i'm a wuss, plus you look scary in that shot, but it's worth a try.

Scott Sigler

Website
www.scottsigler.net
The knife, future podcasts ...

The knife picture on the cover is a central part of the story. You hear about it in Chapter 6 & 7, but in Chapters 8-10, the next episode, you're going to see one. Just be grateful you're not under a mountain in Utah, because that knife is the last thing a lot of people are going to see ...

Yeah all I write is monster stories. I'm just like you. Can't get enough of them.

I have to tell you, I've never been threatend with physical violence and stalking before to make sure I come out with a new book. What a compliment! For people like us, I can't imagine a nicer thing to say.

Publishers don't understand the beauty and sale-ability of a simple monster story. They all want literary bull####. I don't write literary bull####. There aren't hidden messages, I'm not trying to show you the meaning of life, and I'm not commenting on the human condition. I'm writing a story to entertain, plain and simple. I don't need some ####ing author to tell me how I should think and live, so I don't pretend to do the same for others. And that, my friend, is the reason I can't get a deal -- they all think my stories are too simple, too straight-forward. I don't understand it, but then again, I'm really conceited abuot my writing. I think my stories are a blast!

-Scott-

MikeM

Administrator
Just finished 6&7, in time for the release of 8-10. ;)

Back on the topic of accents- the asian accent was great! It wasn't over-done.

Chapters 6 and 7 were definitely set-up chapters. I mostly listen in my car while commuting and I found my mind drifting in spots whereas in the previous chapters, I've more 'glued' to the story. That's okay. I'm definitely into the story and will definitely stick with it.

Looking forward to next installment.

Also, Sonny needs to just take his money and run with it. He's probably the only likable character and therefore I want to see him escape. Oh well. Its obvious now he won't...