E2 Foamy/silicone/custom mould alternative...

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

AptMunich

Amplioholic
Website
www.Ampliphonic.de
Hi,
I finally got some E2's (for ?56,-!!! incl. shipping) and after reading all the posts here and at head-fi.org i had already considered some alternatives to the silicone tips and the foamies if neither seemed suitable...

As expected the silicone tips just didn't work, slipped out all the time and didn't seal well.(they were fine if i held them in but that's not really a viable alternative for constant use ;)

The foamies were a revelation, but i don't want to have to buy foam tips every 3 months so i came up with an excellent alternative! (read on, it's not triple flangers or custom moulds...)

Whilst practicing with my band i've always used ear protection during rehersal's (as i would like to be able to hear for a few more years to come) and use these:

They are hollow on the inside and have tips at the end that dampen the amount of sound that can go through...

Now the plastic bits at the end can be removed and exchanged for different isolation 'strenghs' (i.e. blue tips which are thicker and isolate even better).

I simply took out the plastic bit altogether, cut away a slither at the end and pulled them over the tube of the e2 and hey presto:

Perfectly fitting, well-sealing tips that actually stay in your ear really well AND can make the e2's really easy to take out and put in! (no more pulling your ear to make the ear canal straight etc. etc.)

The secret is the material used: the silicone is quite flexible and 'bendy' but also very durable. They fit really well (for me at least) and seem to resolve the problems that belagure the original seal options the e2's come with!

now these buds really rawk!
I can hear so many new things in all my songs, ahhhh aural bliss!

AND i can't hear the screaming pubetescent kids on the tube to uni every morning...

Hope this helps someone!!!

Adrian

Happy holidays!

P.s why is there no santa smiley?

Bob

Retired
Website
forums.ilounge.com
Nice tip (or tips even) and a new word to add to the iPodlounge dictionary - "lamella"...

[IMG=http://smilies.crowd9.com/contrib/ruinkai/biggrinsanta.gif][/IMG]

bdjohns1

Cheese Whiz
Website
www.ben-johnson.org
AptMunich said:

I simply took out the plastic bit altogether, cut away a slither at the end and pulled them over the tube of the e2 and hey presto:

Perfectly fitting, well-sealing tips that actually stay in your ear really well AND can make the e2's really easy to take out and put in! (no more pulling your ear to make the ear canal straight etc. etc.)

The secret is the material used: the silicone is quite flexible and 'bendy' but also very durable. They fit really well (for me at least) and seem to resolve the problems that belagure the original seal options the e2's come with!

now these buds really rawk!
I can hear so many new things in all my songs, ahhhh aural bliss!

Excellent news...I've been looking for something like this. My question is - how much is the audio affected compared to using Shure's flex sleeves or foamies? I remember Matt from Shure (Sugarfried) saying something about how they couldn't get good sound out of the triple-flange type sleeves on the e2.

dmt1

Dismember
Website
users.domaindlx.com
That looks like a great idea...Looks like they ship to the U.S.--now I just have to figure out the conversion rate for Euros....

Having made a pseudo triple flange, and using my triple flange sleeves for my Ety's, my suspicion is the sound quality is going to pretty darned good with these, and I think I'm going to give these a shot. Once you try a triple flange, IMHO it becomes the plug of choice. If you can get the triple flange to fit and seal proplerly, and it looks like these do, there is no reason why you shouldn't get excellent sound quality

Bob

Retired
Website
forums.ilounge.com
dmt1 said:
That looks like a great idea...Looks like they ship to the U.S.--now I just have to figure out the conversion rate for Euros....
10 ?'s to 1 Horseshoe when I last checked...[IMG=http://smilies.crowd9.com/contrib/ruinkai/biggrinsanta.gif][/IMG]

SandMan

Great info! Thanks for the tip (pun intended)

other ideas for mods can be found here:

drssyoon's mod to fit sony earpieces onto shure e2cs

Check out the info on page 4 (some back on page 3 too) of this thread for sourcing sony earpieces:
http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=6645&perpage=15&highlight=sony&pagenumber=4

You can find the earpieces for EX71s there too by searching as I describe below. Shipping is much cheaper than Audiocubes.com as are the earpieces.

My post on page 4:
I found the sony mdr-nc11 earpieces at sony's parts center (http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/web/index.jsp) they are about 4.80 USD EACH for the medium size (search for 'mdr-nc11' under 'model number'). This yielded the following part numbers:

304641521* PIECE (L), EAR $6.95

422043801 PIECE (M), EAR $4.80

422043901 PIECE (S), EAR $4.80

I'm going to try drssyoon's mod to fit them onto my shure e2cs...

After implementing this mod, I have very comfortable silicone earpieces with no sound degradation in the e2cs - in fact, the bass is stronger without getting muddier - an overall improvement in comfort and sound.

Last edited:

AptMunich

Amplioholic
Website
www.Ampliphonic.de
Thanks for all the praise, i thought this might be useful for some of you...

Please note: the manufacturer says these tips should last 1-2 years, so it's not a once in a lifetime solution, HOWEVER: I've been using my musicsafe earplugs for about 3 1/2 years now and have had no problems with them deteriorating etc....so i guess they're just being careful.

I compared the earplug-tips to the foamies and only noticed a slight difference in the 'feel' of the isolation...the foamy bits made my ears feel a bit too blocked/plugged rather than just 'isolated' if you know what i mean... i'm quite accustomed to the earprotection so that might have something to do with it too ;)

But for convienence and sound quality this works wonders for me, and makes the e2's more of a day-to-day earbud than it is with the foamies...

dmt1:

You might want to see if a local musicians store near you has them...you might be suprised!? I bought mine in a store here in germany and they cost a few ?'s more than on the website (but obviously no shipping cost!)

Glad i could provide you with a few more things to stick in your ears, you should open up a museum!

madpict:

THANKS FOR THE SANTA-SMILEY ! what is the code for that one?

Oh by the way, this means you all have to buy my band's cd when it comes out (produced using shure's e2 earbuds ;))

Last edited:

AptMunich

Amplioholic
Website
www.Ampliphonic.de
Re: Re: E2 Foamy/silicone/custom mould alternative...

keiron99 said:
Is that 56 Euros? Can I ask where from?
Sorry, i think that was a one off...

I wrote shure germany a really long e-mail enquiring why the e-series is a) so hard to get in germany and b) why they are so expensive over here....

i also rambled about how the ipod is becoming increasingly popular over here and that they should try to establish themselves as the leading high-end earbud manufacturer for the leading high-end portable player...

blahblahblah to cut a long story short: they offered me a discount to reward me for my efforts ;)

bdjohns1

Cheese Whiz
Website
www.ben-johnson.org
Here's the post I made over at head-fi about how I felt they sounded:

Well, I've just spent about an hour with them, and I can say the comfort is a step up from the flex-sleeves.

I'm going to retract my previous remark about the flatter bass...I just didn't have the plugs sealing all the way. It does take a little getting used to if you're accustomed the the flex sleeves, as the MusicSafe dual-flange plugs need to get deeper to seal well. The low-midrange (ie, male bass vocal) seems a little more detailed.

The overall sound was improved by me getting a good seal, too. I can comfortably say that I think it's better than either the flex or foamies now, which seems to jibe with what other folks have said about Shure's own triple-flange sleeves for the e5 series.

I'll post more on their performance in a high-isolation (airplane) situation next week.

dmt1

Dismember
Website
users.domaindlx.com
NO--DON'T DO IT!!!

I got custom earmolds, and I would strongly recommend against it--you're better of spending money toward a better earphone than getting the molds.

Over at headfi, it looks like the E2's MIGHT get the new soft flex sleeves that the E3's are going to get--it appears the triple flanges are out--but the soft flex sleeves are supposedly as good or better than triple flanges, from the posts at headfi (haven't tried them myself).

PeinOmbre

dmt1, I just got a pair of E2's as a Christmas gift last night. I am trying to get accustomed to the feel of them, but I don't feel like the comfort is all there with the provided sillicone sleeves. Would you have any links or more info on those Flex sleeves for E2's you just mentioned??? I would be really interested if that really was the case! ;)

dmt1

Dismember
Website
users.domaindlx.com
They're not out yet, and there's no guarantee that they'll make them for the E2's, but my suspicion with all the folks asking for them is that Shure will. But what you can do in the meantime is get a pair of EX 70 sleeves and modify them to fit the E2's (this was posted by another member of the forum a while back and for the life of me I can't find the friggin' link):

You take all the foam of a set of the foamies, so all that's left is the plastic tube--you put the EX flex sleeve (which you can get on line) over the plastic tube, and put this on the E2 like you normally would put the foamy on. It works great for comfort, but there are conflicting opinions on if this mod makes them sound better, worse or the same...

There is also a thread at headfi.org with more info on this.

PeinOmbre

Thanks Chris, I'll look into this while still working on getting accustomed to wearing my dear new E2's. I've been working on burning them in as some of the guys recommended at Head-fi.org. I already love the sound quality and isolation. I must precise that I have upgraded from the iPod provided buds to the Shure E2's! ;)

Bob

Retired
Website
forums.ilounge.com
I have been using the plastic sleeves with my E2 over the last few days and have to say sometimes the seal they create is too good. Almost like the feeling of pressure in the ear when flying. The foamies create the seal slowly as they expand, unlike the plastic sleeves which are an instant seal.

So it looks like I may be forking out for new foamies unless the E3 system is better or Shure redesign the E2 plastic sleeves to something a bit more pliable.

AptMunich

Amplioholic
Website
www.Ampliphonic.de
yeah, they do tend to do that....i suppose it's because they aren't porous (is that how one spells the adjective meaning: '`can let air in and out'?)

anyway, i'm still trying to tweak mine to see if i can make them work for me ;)

any opinions if making tiny holes in the tip would just make them suck?

dmt1

Dismember
Website
users.domaindlx.com
Sugarfried was adamantly opposed to doing that--said it would screw up the sound. I kinda wish they were vented myself; it would take care of that pressure sensation Bob was talking about.

The foamies are comfortable, it's just that they take a little while to get in properly, and you do have to replace them (and my ears are a veritable wax factory--once my audiologist cleaned them out, and the word about my prolific wax making abilities got out, audiologists from around the world have been flocking to my doorstep to be awed. Just the other day a group of audiologists from Borneo swung by to take a look.)

uneek

Has anyone tried this same kinda mod for the e2c with any other ear plugs available? The price of those MusicSafe plugs seem a bit steep...