DVR->PC->iPod=?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

TheMobBoss

Hello,
I have a Dish DVR that has a USB port. I was wondering...if I transfer what I record from the DVR to my PC (is that possible?), then convert formats, then tranfer to my 5G, will there be any problems?

Thanks,
TMB

filburt1

Scratchless 30 GB 5G
Website
www.webdesignforums.net
I am only familiar with transferring shows from a TiVo, but two points:

• Anything QuickTime Pro 7 can open and is not protected (i.e., no iTunes Music Store videos) can be exported to an iPod-compatible format. It just takes a ridiculously long time to process at about 1 FPS.
  • Most videos that Windows Media Player can open can be exported uses free tools such as Videora or 3GP_Converter at a much faster rate, about 22 FPS for me.
Generally, if you have a file in a fairly common format such as MPEG-2, DivX, etc., it can be converted to MPEG-4 (easiest) or H.264 (better quality, only tool I've used that works so far is slow QuickTime which doesn't support many formats).

In short, you will first need to find out if you can transfer shows off your DVR in the first place. I suggest finding a forum that specializes in Dish Network DVRs and asking there. All standalone Series 2 TiVo units support this, provided they are running the latest software.

As long as the format is not DRMed, it should be easy. If it is DRMed, it may be more difficult but still possible in many cases, including TiVo.

Insimbi

Let me know what you find out. I'd like to transfer stuff off my Dish DVR, but I don't know if it's possible.