Drum and bass

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

iPod Master

les claypool = bass god
primus = annoying

claypool is a super amazing bassist, but imo, i think primus is just annoying. the vocals are horrible, they are just plain wierd. i hate the type of music, and i find it to be annoying. i bough one of their tracks on the music store and the bass is amazing, but i dont like the song. (antipop- the antipop). claypool is very talented because in primus, bass is the main instrument, and guitar is secondary. dont believe it? dl the antipop.

jh-retired

I know you probably aren't looking for "World" music, but...

...for the most powerful drums you've ever heard, check out "Kodo."

They're a troupe of traditional Japanese "Street Drummers," using Taiko drums. The most incredible sound you'll hear with percussion, and even more fun to watch live. :D

MindShifter

LOL at the last 3 posts, Drum & Bass is a genre of Electronic Dance Music (EDM) basically what most americans would refer to as techno, even though "techno" is a sub genre as well. Anyways, Roni Size was in town the other night, but being as I'm not too into D&B, I went to Gabriel & Dresden instead.

However I'd like to know some good D&B tracks too. . . . .

Sypher

transmissions94
Website
www.undergroundhiphop.com
I'd say techno is pretty different from DnB.. which is a watered down version of Jungle in some peoples opinions..
But anyway.. I dont know that much bout electronic music in general and all these sub genres get more than a little confusing..

As for my favourite DnB tracks.. "Nasty Ways" and "Twist Em Out" by Dillinja are dope, as are "Style from the Darkside" and "King of the Beats" by Aphrodite.

MindShifter

Sypher said:
I'd say techno is pretty different from DnB..
I'd definately agree with you on that, however you have the advantage of being from the UK where you are exposed to this type of music, further more you are aware of its names/genres. I was calling it 'techno' for the newbie americans who don't know any better, here anyone who's not really in the scene refers to any type of electronic music as 'techno.' Sorry for the confusion:p

jahwork328

Website
fearatutk.blogspot.com
Yeah, it's les claypool that's cool, not really primus. Have you ever listened to Ostyerhead? (s?)

iPod Master said:
les claypool = bass god
primus = annoying

claypool is a super amazing bassist, but imo, i think primus is just annoying. the vocals are horrible, they are just plain wierd. i hate the type of music, and i find it to be annoying. i bough one of their tracks on the music store and the bass is amazing, but i dont like the song. (antipop- the antipop). claypool is very talented because in primus, bass is the main instrument, and guitar is secondary. dont believe it? dl the antipop.

Rock Strongo

Advanced Listener
jahwork328 said:
Yeah, it's les claypool that's cool, not really primus. Have you ever listened to Ostyerhead? (s?)
being that i like phish and claypool, i really gave this band a shot......my god, it was awful......i couldn't listen to it.

deftdrummer1

The power that be.
primus is super good when vocals are not there. Primus actually does a lot of instrumentals. download "wounded knee" by primus There isn't too much bass, but plenty of drums and it's real crisp and clean sounding. I highly recommend it. Brian Mantia is my second favorite drummer of all time too.

NS2000X

Not fully in the 'Drum & Bass' genre, I'd say a little Drum & Bass / Jazz mix if you can believe it. But I highly reccomend giving

Amon Tobin,

a try. My fav album being 'Permutation' - best track - "People Like Frank".
(super high bpm's, laid over with melow samples)

Excellent mid to late 90's stuff from the UK.

EDIT - I almost forgot, be sure to crank it up!

NS2000X

Last edited:

bastion

1. aphrodite is Jungle (Jump-up to be precise)

2. DNB is watered down Jungle??? If anything that should be the other way around. Both are great though.

If you haven't given a listen yet, check out Deiselboy's stuff. Hive is great too. If ya want to go with some real extreme tweaked out stuff, check out some of Squarepusher's tracks.

Raindog

LTJ BUKEM.
One of the pioneers of ambient drum's & bass.
-> two classic albums:
- Logical Progression Level 1
- Producer 01

Check out http://www.allmusic.com
plug in any of the suggested artists above and you'll find heaps of information.
You can also look up styles, music maps and heaps of other stuff regarding Drums & Bass. (or any genre/style for that matter)

Its my favourite website and a perfect online accompanyment to your ipod (along with ipodlouge of course)

iAllison

I agree with the others about Roni Szie (and the Reprazent krew) and LTJ Bukem. Also, if you like those, check out Adam F, Photek, Goldie (probably the most well known DnB artist besides Roni Size), Grooverider, John B, J Majik. I could go on and on, since the "DnB" category on my iPod is the most populated...

Charlie_B

Not a massive DnB fan but i'd say definately DJ Hype :) The Ministry Of Sound- Addicted To Bass is a pretty good album too.

dsotm

in addition to what everyone else already posted: ak1200, dj dara, dj krust, and definitely check out dieselboy, he's been headlining the US scene for a while now...

iAllison

dsotm's got it: DJ Dara and Dieselboy are some of the better "yank" d'n'b. Also check out Liquid Sky compliations.