Downloading music to IPOD

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Marc28ct

First I apologize, I am NEW to this whole computer Multi-media thing...

:)

I purchased a 15 MB IPod yesterday. I downloaded the software to my Sony VAIO. Then I beging transferring music from CD to my computer.

But once I hooked up my IPod, it read "Do Not Disconnect". And for the next 45 minutes it kept that posted. I had only had about an hour's worth of music. Does it usually take that long?

I ended up just stopping it, and shutting it down because I had to run out...

Am I missing something?

Marc

cli

The "do not disconnect" message is normal. To stop that, right click on the ipod icon in taskbar and choose unmount.

Marc28ct

Thank you for the response but my problem is nothing was downloaded into the IPod.

I only had about an hour or so of music in my library, on other websites I hear it takes about 10 seconds to download a CD.

CGAR

"Do not disconnect" means that the ipod is ready.

To add music to your ipod go to file->portable devices. That will open up the portable devices window. Click on ipod on the left part of the screen and it will show what is currently on the ipod in the right screen. You can then click synch and it will add everything in your music library to your ipod. Under options make sure that music leveling is off or it will be very slow.

I assume that your formatted your ipod for use with windows. It comes set up for mac.

Hope this helps. If you dont see "preparing to synch" or snyching with a progress bar then it is not doing anything.

Marc28ct

Thank you so much for your help.

I installed the software and it asked for the IPod to be plugged in, so I am assuming it was formatted for my PC, right? It didn't say anything about that in the manual.

Is there something I haven't done?

Marc28ct

The manual says that when you hook up the IPod, it automatically starts to transfer your library.

Could it be, like you said, the leveling was not off, and it was just taking a long time...

The message on the IPod said "Do not disconnect" and there was a little circle going around in the upper left hand corner.

But I couldn't find a trace of progress or a status bar, on my actual computer.

Marc28ct

One other question, I'm sorry...

:)

But do you have to use MusicMatch to download onto the IPod.

My Sony came with SonicStage and being that everyone seems to have a problem with MusicMatch (flaws), I was wondering if I could just use something else just for the sake of not running into a lot of problems that I won't be able to figure out on my own?

CGAR

You dont have to use musicmatch to transfer music, I like it but some others do not like it at all. You cant use sonic stage but other programs are ephpod, x-play or mc9. You can read about them in other places on this forum.

I would check your ipod to see if it formatted for windows. On the ipod there is a menu that says about or settting that will list format and software. It should say windows and 2.01. If it says anything else you need to format your ipod first.

Under the music match portable window under options there is box to check for automatic synching. I think the default is for manual synch. Which means that you have to hit the synch button to transfer to the ipod.

CGAR

Any time your ipod is hooked up to the computer, wheather you are transfering data or not it will say do not disconnect. This does not change even while synching. Only time it doe not say do not disconnect is when you eject or unmount the ipod.

Hope this helps.