Downgrade ipod nano 4th gen from 1.0.3???

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

scottybuk

Hi, i got an ipod nano 4th gen the other day it was working fine untill i updated it and now it hardly works at all, constantly crashing failing to boot i have to do a restore just to get it on. I would like to dowgrde from 1.0.3 back to 1.0.1 or 1.0.2 if anyone could help me that would be fantastic, thanks!

Code Monkey

While I doubt very strongly that version 1.03 is at fault - there's always a handful of folks who blame new firmware for everything from deleting their music to killing their parakeet ;) - if you have had this nano since 1.01 you can force the issue (Note: if you're on a Mac the path will be different but you can find it easily enough by searching for files with the suffix ".ipsw")

Browse to the folder at C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates

Depending on how many iPods you've had, there may be several files here, what you're interested in is the ones that start with "iPod_31", those are the firmwares for the 4G nano. The file names indicate the version, e.g. "iPod_31.1.0.3.ipsw" is the 1.03 firmware you're convinced is causing problems, so you'll be looking for both the ipsw and ipsw.signature files for 1.02 - if you've got them, great, if not you can search for "iPod_31.1.0.2.ipsw" and "iPod_31.1.0.2.ipsw.signature" to see if anyone is hosting them online.

If you have the 1.02 files, here's what you do to downgrade your iPod:

1. Unplug your computer from the internet.
2. Move/delete the 1.03 files
3. Plug in your iPod and tell iTunes to restore it. iTunes will attempt to refetch 1.03 but you've unplugged your computer from the internet so that's going to fail. Then it's going to yell that you don't have the most current firmware on your machine and ask if you're absolutely sure you want to use this older version, tell it yes.
4. Let it restore your iPod using the 1.02 version and you're done.

scottybuk

Thanks alot!. Even though this didnt help my problem i managed to get the firmware i was looking for and install it.

For anyone else who wants to downgrade i made a webpage with the iPod_31.1.0.2.ipsw firmware and the iPod_31.1.0.2.signiture file availible for download on my webserver. Thanks :)

Staffybull [dot] com/ipod/index.html

kevin83317

i have searched all web and your web is the only one i can download
i wanna thank you for you share!

iJayinhere

Sooo.. anyone here still have the 1.0.2 firmware lying around? Desperately trying to get my old nano to work with my car stereo which only accepts FW's < 1.0.3

And just my luck: only ones I can find are 1.0.3 and higher. :S

Would appreciate any help!