• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Don't Buy MDG: They Scam You

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

kylo4

My parents came to their senses after waiting a week for the $30 CD drive to be fixed. My mum calls MDG and the guy says it isn't fixed and that her warranty doesn't cover it. That its an older part, that they release new burners every two weeks (I said "bullcrap") and that she should buy a better one for $40 more. The nerve. Than the guy said that it would be two months before it could be fixed etc. so she would buy a new one.

He kept arguing, even though the computer is barely seven months old and the CD burner spontaneously died. They tried to bait & switch again by lying. When my mum said we had the platinum plan ($200 2 year warranty) he changed his tune and said it would "accelerated fixing" and that it could be fixed by tomorrow. Even though he just said it would take two months to get the part.

Seeing as how I'll be taking computer repair, I know for a damn fact that its a 10 minute job and that they have the parts there. He continually tried to con my mother before she just said "That's enough" and hung up.

So we're taking them to small claims court and suing them to get the money for the computer back because of them doing that and for using fraudulent tactics. That is such a cheap part (that burner retails for $30, probably costs them nothing) and imagine if something of value breaks what a hassle it will be.

The man was rude to my mum and told her that she wasn't reading the warranty, even though the guy examined it when we went in and said it would be done in two days. Besides that, they failed to ever give us the Windows XP Operating Software Discs, which according to Microsoft is illegal.

They can keep the computer of course. But it goes beyond that. The fact that they lie and use fraudulent tactics, such as giving expired or invalid warranties for things (the Canon printer warranty was a fraud.) or the fact that they lied when I asked (didn't know much at the time) if the DVD burner did CD's and the salesman said "No, that's $120 extra."

Most of all, how they can get away with these business tactics is beyond me.

So there you have it. My parents finally know whats going on and said if they get their money back they'll buy an iMac and Apple's 3 year warranty which costs $200.

kylo4

We got the computer back yesterday and even more things done can easily win a lawsuit. Here is what happened:

When computer was received back all password protected accounts now had no passwords. We had them password protected since there were medical documents, journal entries, and passwords to automatically log into accounts were there. They did not have to be removed since the CD drive isn’t actually in the computer. That is why we also didn’t supply the power cord to the computer and why they never asked.
-The CD burner installed was from 2005, throwing out the theory that new ones come out every two weeks. It is an LG model that is very cheap and loud. The CD burner we originally had was a Samsung from 2006.
-A program was added named “Windows Cardspace” which quote, “Manage Information Cards used to log on and register with websites and online services.” It cannot be accessed or removed from the computer and is embedded in there.
-An option titled “Remote Assistance” was turned on which was never there. This program, quote: “Remote Assistance is a convenient way for a friend in another location to connect to your computer from another computer running a compatible operating system, such as Microsoft Windows XP, and walk you through your solution.” This could be turned off but without good knowledge of computers it wouldn’t be found. It was located under 3 different menus and was never turned on before.
-The computer’s registration had changed. Before it said the computer was registered to “***” (my mom) and now her name has been removed and in its place it is blank.
-Some programs were not working properly or wouldn’t work at all without reinstalling them.

Derek McNelly

Website
www.myspace.com
kylo4 said:
We got the computer back yesterday and even more things done can easily win a lawsuit. Here is what happened:

When computer was received back all password protected accounts now had no passwords. We had them password protected since there were medical documents, journal entries, and passwords to automatically log into accounts were there. They did not have to be removed since the CD drive isn’t actually in the computer. That is why we also didn’t supply the power cord to the computer and why they never asked.
-The CD burner installed was from 2005, throwing out the theory that new ones come out every two weeks. It is an LG model that is very cheap and loud. The CD burner we originally had was a Samsung from 2006.
-A program was added named “Windows Cardspace” which quote, “Manage Information Cards used to log on and register with websites and online services.” It cannot be accessed or removed from the computer and is embedded in there.
-An option titled “Remote Assistance” was turned on which was never there. This program, quote: “Remote Assistance is a convenient way for a friend in another location to connect to your computer from another computer running a compatible operating system, such as Microsoft Windows XP, and walk you through your solution.” This could be turned off but without good knowledge of computers it wouldn’t be found. It was located under 3 different menus and was never turned on before.
-The computer’s registration had changed. Before it said the computer was registered to “***” (my mom) and now her name has been removed and in its place it is blank.
-Some programs were not working properly or wouldn’t work at all without reinstalling them.
Well, it definitely sounds like this needs to be taken to court. That's some serious fraud there. Not only are you being raped out of your money, but you're also being duped with old parts.

Tsk tsk...

kylo4

Thanks Freddy, its unbelievable what is going on. I found a review for the exact burner (pictures and everything) dated 12 5 2005.

Also, in fear that there was another user account and just to see overall information on the computer I wanted to see the BIOS at the start. It says to press F2. Well after 7 unsuccessful tries I started up the computer and watched...and to my surprise the keyboard starts working after that screen shows, rendering it useless.

Even more strange is the fact that System Restore shows something called "Software Distribution Service 3.0" being installed on the computer at 12:13 am and than iTunes at 12:30 am (which I did). Its strange because I didn't turn on the computer and log in until about 12:18, I just plugged in the power cord and started hooking up the mouse, keyboard etc.

A "computer tech" friend said that what was most likely done to remove the passwords was reinstall Windows XP but still keep the files. Hence why the "registered to" name is now blank. He also said that's why some programs weren't working properly. This is very....illegal.

kylo4

Where is Microsoft's toll free number for Canada? I searched for it today and had no luck. I was very worried that major companies or the BBB would think we're nuts for saying these things but its true. I've been using computers since I was 8 years old and well, nothing has ever been like this.

Just for the record, here are a few print screens for proof:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v420/kylo4/PS.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v420/kylo4/ps1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v420/kylo4/ps4.jpg

Last edited:

disappointed

Who cares? If it plugs in and it works it's fine with me. I guess I can see what you mean about an annoyance, but that aspect at least isn't something to sue them over. Heck, just use Firewire :D
What!? When u buy something new and spend all that money, u should not be getting it all F#@kED UP... no matter what it is. . That's just wrong. . I'd be pissed too..smh