Does this thing power off?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Sosha

I can't figure out how to power down the little thing.

In the manual, it talks about "power the screen off/on". It also stated the nano uses battery power when it's off.

Makes me think you can't turn the power off.

Or, am I missing something?

BrennerM

You are correct, the nano cannot be truly powered off. You need to stop the music (and stopwatch, timer, pedometer, etc) and hit the sleep/wake button, and that is the best you can do. It will still draw a tiny amount of battery but it is very little as long as it is not playing music or running one of those other tasks. I've left mine off 24 hours with no noticeable change in the battery meter.

reneipod

You can send it to sleep by pressing and holding the play button until the screen goes black. A press of any button after that will turn it back on.

Code Monkey

The "power drain" while "off" (sleeping) is an old point of contention for some users. If you want to know how the alternative would work, picture needing to go through the boot process your nano goes through if you reset it each and every time you pick it up, or even just let it auto power off because you stopped it to have a conversation. This is how pretty much all players worked before the iPod and how many still work today. I'll trade a little minor battery drain for the instant "on" of iPods any day of the week.

BrennerM

You can send it to sleep by pressing and holding the play button until the screen goes black. A press of any button after that will turn it back on.
There is no play button on the new nano. You need to stop music playing and then hit the sleep/wake button to put it to sleep (or wait 60 seconds and it will do it automatically). If you have anything running (music, pedometer, stopwatch, timer) they may continue to drain the battery while in sleep mode.

reneipod

There is no play button on the new nano. You need to stop music playing and then hit the sleep/wake button to put it to sleep (or wait 60 seconds and it will do it automatically). If you have anything running (music, pedometer, stopwatch, timer) they may continue to drain the battery while in sleep mode.
The OP never stated what generation ipod he was using. Seeing that the 6th generation has just been released, I kind of assumed he was referring to previous ipods with a click wheel. Therefore, between your answer and mine, he should be able to figure it out.

Website
www.ilounge.com
The 6G nano does appear to have the same "hibernation mode" that earlier iPod nano models used -- after about 14 hours of no use it will go into a very low power mode and you'll see the Apple logo displayed when you turn it back on.

There doesn't appear to be any way to force it into this mode, however. Mind you, this was also true with earlier iPod nano models -- holding down the play button simply turned off the screen in the same way that the top button does on the 6G nano; it didn't put the device into any kind of hibernation mode.

As an aside, note that you can reset the 6G nano by holding down the volume-down and sleep buttons simultaneously for a few seconds. This is equivalent to holding down the menu and home buttons on the earlier iPod nano models. The 6G also still has a "disk mode" similar to earlier models that can be accessed by holding down both volume buttons while rebooting, and the old diagnostic mode is still buried in there as well.

It's more and more obvious that this thing is really just an old-school iPod nano with a fancy new UI.