Does Nano support live updating

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

sparks9

Yes it does.

When I play a song my "Recently Played" smart playlist updates. When I rate a song 5 stars it gets added to my "Top rated" playlist and so.... Without connecting the iPod to iTunes.

Ps. I own a nano

mtnagel

I don't think mine does. I have a smart playlist that has Playcount = 0. I listened to a song, so the playcount increased to 1 and the song was still in the SPL. An I doing something wrong.

GadgetGuru72

mtnagel said:
I don't think mine does. I have a smart playlist that has Playcount = 0. I listened to a song, so the playcount increased to 1 and the song was still in the SPL. An I doing something wrong.
The way it used to work (before the screw up) was that you had to "exit" the playlist and then "re-enter" it for the playlist to update.

So, go into your playlist with playcount = 0. After you play a song all the way through and it goes to the next song, exit out of the playlist. Select another playlist and begin playing it for a few seconds. Then, return to the original playlist and see if the song that should now have a playcount = 1 is still there.

Please report back on your findings.

mtnagel

GadgetGuru72 said:
The way it used to work (before the screw up) was that you had to "exit" the playlist and then "re-enter" it for the playlist to update.

So, go into your playlist with playcount = 0. After you play a song all the way through and it goes to the next song, exit out of the playlist. Select another playlist and begin playing it for a few seconds. Then, return to the original playlist and see if the song that should now have a playcount = 1 is still there.

Please report back on your findings.
My bad. It did disappear. I thought I did that. I even turned it off, but I guess that wasn't enough. I followed your directions and it worked. Add me as a confirming case.

GadgetGuru72

mtnagel said:
My bad. It did disappear. I thought I did that. I even turned it off, but I guess that wasn't enough. I followed your directions and it worked. Add me as a confirming case.
Awesome! That gives me a lot of hope that all of us with "older" iPods will soon be receiving a fix.

jk2004

Let's hope that Apple engineers who were busy bringing the Nano out for the last 9 months have some time now to release a new updater with the fix for us old fans :)

jk

jh-retired

jk2004 said:
Let's hope that Apple engineers who were busy bringing the Nano out for the last 9 months have some time now to release a new updater with the fix for us old fans :)

jk
Apple's To-do List for Software Updater 2005-xx-xx:

• Fix Smart Playlist Live Update for all but nano.
  • Add Lyrics display feature to all but nano.
  • Add Screen Lock to all but nano.
  • Add World Clock to all but nano.
  • Add Stopwatch to all but nano.
  • Add iTunes 5 nested playlists to all iPods, including nano.
My guess is that all of the above are coming (except for maybe the stopwatch, it being a jogging feature and all)... I can't imagine that with the nano being such a low-margin device, they would want features exclusive to it... Everything the mini had, the full-size iPods had, and I'd expect that to continue.

Last edited:

GadgetGuru72

azdude said:
Apple's To-do List for Software Updater 2005-xx-xx:

• Fix Smart Playlist Live Update for all but nano.
  • Add Lyrics display feature to all but nano.
  • Add Screen Lock to all but nano.
  • Add World Clock to all but nano.
  • Add Stopwatch to all but nano.
  • Add iTunes 5 nested playlists to all iPods, including nano.
My guess is that all of the above are coming (except for maybe the stopwatch, it being a jogging feature and all)... I can't imagine that with the nano being such a low-margin device, they would want features exclusive to it... Everything the mini had, the full-size iPods had, and I'd expect that to continue.
I hope you're right.

Oh, and I hope that your time estimate can be changed from 2005-xx-xx to 2005-09-xx. ;)

jk2004

Looks like we 4G owners have been ignored by Apple again.

No updates for the SmartPlaylist Issue in the latest iPod Updater !!!

jk

pedx1ng

Well, live updating isn't working for me. Here are the tests I ran:

1) I made a playlist with the criteria "Has been played in the last day" and then listened to some songs. Those songs did not get added to the "Has been played in the last day" playlist. (By the way, I know that's not a very useful playlist, it was just for a test. I have playlists like "Has not been played in the last day" and "Has not been played in the last week")

2) I have a playlist with the criteria of "all Unrated". I listened to some songs and rated them. Those songs did not get removed from the Unrated playlist.

In my tests, I start to play a different playlist before coming back to test the smart playlist, so shouldn't that get it to update?

k3n

My ipod nano does live updating- so does my bro's

Mine and my brothers ipod nano's live updates playlists. There's a checkbox option under the settings of each Playlist which says 'Live Updating'- you can turn the feature on and off (if you guys hadn't figured :)).

Check that this option is selected.

pedx1ng

Re: My ipod nano does live updating- so does my bro's

k3n said:
Mine and my brothers ipod nano's live updates playlists. There's a checkbox option under the settings of each Playlist which says 'Live Updating'- you can turn the feature on and off (if you guys hadn't figured :)).

Check that this option is selected.
Yep, it's checked. I'm not a total noob you know! ;)

k3n

:) Well someones gotta check...

I read all the posts but no-one stated they checked the option. But it's strange how its not live updating wit the option.