does computer virus can live in ipod?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

chenwei

hi guys, you know sometimes we got virus in our computer,and our computer will become slow running and sometime they don't work anymore, so i am afraid if the computer virus will come into my ipod and live there and do someting bad to my lover ? i used 1-2-3 gen ipod since it comes out,but i worry about this ,bcz now ipod has somany more and more function like a computer .

jjclub

The OS run in iPod is not x86 based. It's totally different OS to computers (neither Microsoft Windows nor Mac OS). Even the program languages are different. Most of computer viruses are written for Windows only, they can't be run in iPod at all.

So how could it be possible for those computer viruses to infect iPod? The iPod could contain the infected files copied from your computer but it will never harm the iPod. It will only harm your computer.

sinster

Bakka Gaijin des!
Yes it can live in your ipod. No, I dont believe it can do anything to it. This is not a virus like the common cold we are talking about...so unless the virus is programmed specifically to mess with the iPod, there is problem. Also, to elaborate on the first point I made abt living in your iPod, it has to be able to attach itself to an mp3 file format. Not many viruses out there do that (though I may hv opened pandoras box here.)

RElax, chill, and play a calming song to get you through it. :)

sraphim

I don't think there are any computer viruses to date that were specifically designed to infect and damage iPods, and I don't really see how it could happen. Viruses work on the principle that whenever a binary (executable) file is executed, the OS will also execute the code of the virus so that the virus can cause damage and multiply. So far, viruses that infect non-executable (data, e.g. MP3 files) files are far more rare, as it is much harder. This is because it must take advantage of a specific bug or security hole in the application that reads the file, and thus, the rate of infection is low.

In the iPod, all the files that can be played are MPEG3 or AAC format. Unless the iPod's firmware has some huge hole in it that allows properly formatted audio files to execute arbitrary instructions on it, and someone decides to make a virus for it (however unlikely either of these events are) then we might have something to worry about.

The virus can "live" on the iPod, though, as the iPod itself can act like a hard disk, and if you save an infected file onto the iPod in HD mode, it cannot be used by the iPod, but will still be on the iPod, and may be able to infect computers that the iPod is attached to.

So, if you're concerned about damaging the iPod by accedently putting viruses onto it, it just won't happen, but don't sue me if it DOES indeed happen :D