Does anyone know if this iPod is authentic?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

cjmnews

Staff member
Everything on the back says it is authentic.

The screen in your shot looks black and white. Which reminds me of the iPod Mini where the Nano is supposed to have a color screen. Also the color red was not available for that model. It is possible that National Geographic had a special program where they talked Apple into making red ones for them, but I can’t find any references to it.

Here is a breakdown of the specs: https://everymac.com/systems/apple/ipod/specs/ipod_nano.html

Overall I would say that is not an authentic iPod Nano.

jaimeruybal

Everything on the back says it is authentic.

The screen in your shot looks black and white. Which reminds me of the iPod Mini where the Nano is supposed to have a color screen. Also the color red was not available for that model. It is possible that National Geographic had a special program where they talked Apple into making red ones for them, but I can’t find any references to it.

Here is a breakdown of the specs: https://everymac.com/systems/apple/ipod/specs/ipod_nano.html

Overall I would say that is not an authentic iPod Nano.
Here is a picture of the screen lit up with color and I don't see why anyone would make a custom red one and if they did why would they choose to put national geographic on it of all things?

Attachments

cjmnews

Staff member
There the screen looks more colorful, so possibly genuine. A collector may want it.

I can only find an old eBay page that says this was a special edition for National Geographic, how true this is I don't know.

Apple did start to sell a red version starting with Generation 2 and forward called "(Product) Red" where part of the proceeds were donated to help prevent HIV/AIDS in 8 African countries. This is not that though because the (Product) Red was only in larger sizes 4GB/8GB+.

jaimeruybal

There the screen looks more colorful, so possibly genuine. A collector may want it.

I can only find an old eBay page that says this was a special edition for National Geographic, how true this is I don't know.

Apple did start to sell a red version starting with Generation 2 and forward called "(Product) Red" where part of the proceeds were donated to help prevent HIV/AIDS in 8 African countries. This is not that though because the (Product) Red was only in larger sizes 4GB/8GB+.
I would think it would be a custom but seems to specific for a custom. I don't see why anyone would have national geographic engraved on a ipod seems strange. I tried giving apple the serial number but they won't confirm anything for me. And the post on ebay is actually me I just ended the listing without selling it.

cjmnews

Staff member
It could have been part of the 1st gen nano recall. That may be why there is no information about it. You may want to be careful with charging it too much.

As for the engraving, some businesses that provided gadgets like these would engrave them to show where they came from. Apple used to do custom engraving too.