Do you wear your in-ears like this?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

eqblues

Blue since the 70's
I ran into this video of how to fit your in-ear phones and I was wondering if this is really how you all wear them. I think it looks ridiculous to fit the cable over the top of your ear.

Heres the link. Those white earphones they are using in the video look old tho, any chance the newer ones dont need to be worn like that?

http://www.innovatemedia.com/clips/UE0006/index.htm

Castleman

I have used a pair of Shure's like this and according to the vid, the Ultimate Ears are also recommended to go over your ears. I'm not sure if all of them will be like this, but like I said these two brands seem to go by the same rule. I think the newer ones are also meant to be worn in the same manner, but then again I switched over to the Bose Triport so I wouldn't know about the newer models.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
No phones that I know of FORCES u to wear it like that, maybe some customs.

Ridiculous? That's how professional musicians wear them.

But hey, whatever makes ya happy.

sebulr

They are designed like that on purpose to cut down on cable microphonics. These things go deep in your ears and if you don't put them in that way you can hear the cables move.

Coincidentally you can wear UE headphones in the opposite ears so they don't stick out as much, they isolate much better that way as well.

urbanlegend

Toronto Tonto
i wear my shures like that.

one additional fitting tip - if you reach around the back of your head and pull up and back on your ear, you'll straighten out your ear canal. while your ear is pulled back you can then insert the earphone with your other hand. in my experience this allows for a better insertion and better seal, leading to better sound.

john

eqblues

Blue since the 70's
bobb-mini said:
No phones that I know of FORCES u to wear it like that, maybe some customs.

Ridiculous? That's how professional musicians wear them.

But hey, whatever makes ya happy.
Of course theres no earphones that will FORCE me to wear them in any particular way, but I was just wondering if this is the CORRECT way. I didnt mean to offend anyone by saying it looks ridiculous tho, so sorry if I did.

What Im wondering now is, if you dont wear them like that, with the cables over the top of your ears, will they be damaged faster? will the cable/monitor connections suffer? or is it all the same?

Its just that I had never seen anyone wear earphones that way, and it came as a surprise to me to see it. I dont know any professional musicians either.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
Ppl who wear it like that are not concerned about longevity or wear or... all they care about is sonic quality.

archurban

ipod adviser
Website
web.mac.com
I think that only few earphones are designed to wear like that. but it's not natural way. actually, that's not comfortable at all. I have shure Se210. it's designed to force wearing that way which I don't like.

eqblues

Blue since the 70's
archurban said:
I think that only few earphones are designed to wear like that. but it's not natural way. actually, that's not comfortable at all. I have shure Se210. it's designed to force wearing that way which I don't like.
I agree with this. The earphones used in the video, seem like they are specifically designed for that kind of position in your ears, not the "normal" way. But I think other phones like the UE metro.fi 2 wouldnt fit this criteria and should be worn the normal way.

melor

Website
www.melor.com
I wear my Shure earphones that way, except after the wire goes over the ears, they come in front of my chest. I don't like having the cable behind my back. The second image of the three ways Shure recommends wearing the SE310.

http://store.shure.com/store/shure/ContentTheme/pbPage.earphones_how_to_use

Paul

eqblues said:
I ran into this video of how to fit your in-ear phones and I was wondering if this is really how you all wear them. I think it looks ridiculous to fit the cable over the top of your ear.

Heres the link. Those white earphones they are using in the video look old tho, any chance the newer ones dont need to be worn like that?

eqblues

Blue since the 70's
That last link you posted makes me feel better because it shows that either way you want to wear them is fine. You can wear them with the cables straight down too instead of over the ear and thats ok.

Thanks for the link.

jmmtn4aj

Ownage Lounger
Website
www.last.fm
It depends on the design of the IEM. Musicians monitors are traditionally designed to be worn with the wire over the ear because it's much more discreet and secure, as opposed to having a wire dangling around. This is the same reason bodyguards (SS for example) wear earpieces like that, they can run without the thing falling out. For this reason the companies that traditionally make musicians IEMs design their consumer-orientated phones this way- UE, Westone and Shure are the famous 3. Other companies tend to design their IEMs the more conventional, more popular way, because the conventional design is much easier to use.

eqblues

Blue since the 70's
What way would these be designed to be worn like?

I think they are not the kind that needs to be worn over the ear right? But either way should be fine after I saw that link "melor" posted.

Last edited:

jmmtn4aj

Ownage Lounger
Website
www.last.fm
eqblues said:
What way would these be designed to be worn like?

I think they are not the kind that needs to be worn over the ear right? But either way should be fine after I saw that link "melor" posted.
Ah, I see UE's lineup has changed considerably. It's designed to be worn the conventional way. IEMs meant to be worn with the wire over the ear tend to have pre-curved cable just about where it goes over your ear, to make it easier to wear, and the enclosure design will be different (driver angle relative to your ear canal will be different depending how you wear it).

FenderBender

How many of you have actually tried wearing them with the cables over the ear? I wear my SE210s and SE530s like that and it's not the least bit uncomfortable. It also prevents them from getting yanked out of your ears and helps maintain a good fit.

You don't have to wear them that way, but they fit and sound better if you do.

jasoncordelle

I have the ones that eqblues has posted - they are worn dangling, like "normal".

They can be worn over the ears, bt they really aren't designed for that. UE make the higher end ones with the pre-curved bits to specifically make wearing them over your ears the logical choice.

I've tried wearing my UE's over my ears, to see if it reduces microphonics...it doesn't really. Was uncomfortable and I felt silly.