Do you still consider these bands as "indie"?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Are they still "indie?"

• Yes

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters

maogall

The Bluest Light
Are bands like
The Libertines
Interpol
Franz Ferdinand
Bloc Party
Modest Mouse
And the likes are still "indie" even if they're on a major label?

bdb

On the B side of life
I think it tends to be more about a sound. Not overproduced, and maybe even a bit rough sounding.

Anyway, I think Interpol is still on Matador, which is considred an indepedent label. They're not a member of the RIAA cartel (see http://www.magnetbox.com/riaa/).

distracted

Look, sure those bands have an "indie" sound--a sound that has become a genre--but I get sick of hearing major-label "indie" sounding bands referred to as indie bands. Do you have any idea how much money majors dump into the marketplace to make it look like people care about their bands?? Not to take away from the talent of the bands, but so many of their fans are bought. Plain and simple.

Such is capitalism. Tap into the underground and appropriate the "hip" for the financial benefit of shareholders. I'm tired of the indie banner waved in behalf of major bands--there are too many extremely talented bands, too many great bands to be discovered among true indie labels run by music fans and not overpaid record execs.

rogermexico

Of those listed, Modest Mouse is the only one I'd think of as indie. Here's a hint: if their debut album blows up and they're suddenly appearing at the KROQ Weenie Roast or whatever, they're probably not so indie.

Sex Pistols: exception that proves the rule, or the Monkees of punk?

idiosyncratic

Modest Mouse is the only indie one in there, IMO (although they're definatly moving away from it). They've been around for a long time, and are established artists, whereas the others are new bands that got popular right away (to my knowledge, at least). There was a long time where Modest Mouse was making music, but it was not being heard by most people.

I define an indie band as one who is not known by the mainstream culture, but still somewhat well known (from word of mouth and college radio). Indie music is creative and varied.

bdb

On the B side of life
rogermexico said:
Of those listed, Modest Mouse is the only one I'd think of as indie.
See, this is what I mean by "the sound". Interpol is on an independent label, and some people don't feel they are "indie".

I agree with "distracted", that major label bands are in a completely different business atmosphere than independent label bands. Perhaps "indie" is a bad name for a genre...though most of the bands that fit this genre are still on independent labels. Its not a sound that has lended itself to large sales; maybe if this changes we'll be looking for a different name for the genre!

rogermexico

bdb, my bad. I somehow read "Interpol" as "Maximo Park." Carlos G may have become annoying, but Interpol definitely started out Indie.

the icon of sin

Nowerdays, especially in my college, the brand of indie stated in the top list is mainstream music. Its become extremely popular to the extent where there's nothing alternative or even independent about it.

I agree with the "fans being bought" point too.

neb

I would consider those bands, at least the ones I've heard of, as indie. Don't get too carried away with trying to pigeon-hole everything. Mainstream is not all bad and it's what most bands aspire to.

atomx

Check out this thread for a long discussion on this subject...

http://forums.ipodlounge.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97037

I personally think "indie" is a musical style that is recognizable in bands from both RIAA cartel labels and independent ones. I don't believe that an "indie" band SUDDENLY becomes something else (pop, alternative, etc.) if they become popular or are signed to a major label--that argument makes little sense to me. So, yes, I still define these bands as "indie" and I still experience a great deal of pleasure listening to them.

distracted said:
Do you have any idea how much money majors dump into the marketplace to make it look like people care about their bands??...so many of their fans are bought. Plain and simple.
I like music from many genres, popular and not so. I listen to what I like, plain and simple. I don't let the opinions of others influence what I listen to (other than recommendations to check out). Billions of dollars spent will never change my mind about the bands I hate. Money spent by a label may help to expose me to bands I might not know about and might come to love--I see that as a good thing (I'm NOT supporting the economics of the record industry, here--I am fully aware of the fact that the industry is full of greedy creeps--my post is about the bands I love). So, explain to me how I am "being bought." If I am not being bought, how are others "being bought?"

Ultimately, I don't give a crap about labels. I will listen to anything that makes me feel good, regardless of its status as cool/uncool or "indie"/"mass-market product."

Last edited:

bdb

On the B side of life
atomx said:
I like music from many genres, popular and not so. I listen to what I like, plain and simple. I don't let the opinions of others influence what I listen to (other than recommendations to check out). Billions of dollars spent will never change my mind about the bands I hate.
This is what true independence is all about. There's another thread about some high-school girl who refuses to listen to bands once they start gaining popularity - that is not independent thinking, because her decision is mainly influenced by others' tastes, rather than her own.

Personally, I don't really know which bands are getting all the dollars spent on them. I don't watch MTV, and I haven't found a trade rag that I'd want to read. I'll be more influenced by a band posting its music on Epitonic...which is why I don't hear much about major-label bands, because major labels don't post free tracks.

enjoilax

lightintodark said:
Nope! Cause once your cd is on a Target shelf, you've officially sold out!:)

p.s. I work at Target:)
I wouldn't say so, thats a distribution deal. I'm sure Target is smart enough to take non-riaa popular albums. They'd be stupid not to.

neb

It seems you are cool for liking something that is not cool :rolleyes: