Do in-ear's damage/hurt your ears?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

AmazingDM

Being so in-your ear do they hurt or damage your ears at all?
I just got some MDR-EX51's.. my left ear is kinda hurtin a lil.. I donno

also where on sony's site (link plz) do you get replacement silicone caps

TheJosher

Music Is Your Friend.
Website
www.thejosher.net
It may be the size that you are wearing. Wearing a too large cap will hurt. The correct size shouldn't hurt, but it may be that you just need to get used to the in-ears. Sort of like the first time brushing your teeth with an electric toothbrush often causes your gums to bleed ;)

As for damaging your hearing, as with any earbuds.. they will if left at extended volumes for extended times. But I find that in-ear's help block out external noises so you can actually turn them down lower than the conventional earbuds.

Josh

AmazingDM

well it's not so much a physical pain but sorta in the ear.. but it's not bad or anything

but under no circumstances should i turn the volume all the way up past like 90% right?

iMonster

Roooooar!
you shouldn't have to turn it up that high, lol

it's extremely painful for me to go close to 70% with mine

mine hurt at first too, but i got used to 'em ..eh was testing sleeve sizes also

AmazingDM

i wasn't going to try them cuz I was like.. i donno how i'm gonna fit something that big (Even the small size) in my ear but then I bought them and found out they were rubber and stuck right in so it was cool.

Are these better than apple's in-ears cuz I figure they're the same price but higher brand name markup

afalconsvick

Atlanta Falcons!
Website
tonyjalbanese.com
My sont ex-51's are great. They are comfortable in my ears. Try a different ear piece, like the size that comes with them. The only ones that hurt my ears was the Stock Bud that come with the iPod.

AmazingDM

it's not the size of the bud, like while/where I'm wearing them, it's sort of a minor pain inside my ear where the sound hits

feh1325

suggests koss ksc75
actually, the smaller ones hurt my ear cuz i was jamming them too far into my skull
just play around with the different sizes to see which one fits you best

deef

i have the apple in-ears which are very comfortable -- in terms of hearing, i think they're actually much safer than regular ear buds b/c they mask a lot of background noise (compare to regular phones in a noisy setting with no music playing) so you can actually play the music quite a bit lower & still hear everything.

TheJosher

Music Is Your Friend.
Website
www.thejosher.net
Yeah, I don't own the EX-51s.. but with my in-ear EarThumps, 50% is usually painful, unless its in a VERY noisy enviroment. I couldn't imagine going to 90 :p

Josh

fallenipod

ya dont go loud. i had that too. what i do is take earbud out, stick pinky in my ear because its sort of like an itch, put earbud back in and wash hands.lol. dont turn past like 30% volume because otherwise you will be deaf way earlier then if you dont wear them. i know no one does this because its inconvenient but the headphones are way better for your ears.

AmazingDM

i guess its hard to convey
but I don't mean a physical pain like an itch or irritation around where the headphone is but I mean like a ringing on the inner head, where the ear junk is..

Aceospades1250

Ace o' iPods
Oh...

You might have .tinnitus . AKA, constant ringing in the ears. This means that you listen to music way too loud or for way too long.

Im no doctor to make a diagnosis, but from what you are saying then that's what it is

Last edited: