do i have a 5gen or a 5.5gen 30gb ipod?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

mr.popper

I want to know if i have a 5gen or a 5.5gen ipod video 30gb when i got my ipod i bought it brand new on the box it has a picture of a guy singing into a mic i think its the lead singer from U2 i might be wrong... and the last 3 letters of my ipod are WEC and the firmware is 1.1.2 and my ipod came with itunes 6 and a ipod updater 2006-06-28.

paranoidxe

Its almost certainly a 5G, the 5.5G comes with no software, has Red Hot Chili Peppers/Johnny Depp on the case, and has a search feature under music menu.

mr.popper

Ok can my ipod run ipod linux because i want to run emulators and stuff

kornchild2002

A quick look at the official homepage of iPod Linux shows that the 5G iPod is supported (the 5.5G isn't) but some features will be missing like the use of a remote, audio recording, and video output.

If you want to increase audio file compatibility with the iPod, then I suggest you install
Rockbox instead as it is moving a lot quicker than iPod Linux and Rockbox seems a bit more stable on the iPod (without sacrificing very many features).

mr.popper

but can rockbox run doom and games? and what would you prefer rockbox or linux?

kornchild2002

Rockbox can't run Doom but you wouldn't really want to run Doom on an iPod. First off, Doom and iPod Linux would both put a load on the iPod's processor thus decreasing battery life. The 5G 30GB iPod is slated to get 14 hours of audio playback time on a single charge, this would drastically be reduced to about 2-3 hours when running Doom through iPod Linux. On top of that, you would get probably a maximum of 8-9 hours of operation when playing music through Linux.

Believe me, Doom is not a reason to install iPod Linux. If you want added audio support, then go the Rockbox route. After all, are you really purchasing an iPod to play Doom or are you purchasing it to play music? If you want to have a portable Linux powered machine, then you can go to Best Buy, spend $100, and install Linux on a Pocket PC.

mr.popper

Ok so your saying rockbox has more capabilitys than ipod linux? I want to get the Most out of my ipod and what does rockbox ahve over linux i seen a video on youtuve theis guy had iload2.4 or somthing and ran these games he had linux and rockbox.