Do Apple Educational Discounts Work In Store?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

stonehhh5

i see these offers online but if lets say i go to an apple store and ask for an educational discount, would it work?

MikeM

Retired
I'm not sure but you would definitely need ID. Call the store you plan on visiting to find out. And post back here because I woud like to know!

stonehhh5

exactly what qualifies? im just a student at a public high school.
btw.. im planning to go to the apple store in soho NYC on black friday morning :) :)

MIMIC

I ordered my 20GB iPod through the Educational Store a few days ago (which I received today :D). You don't need an ID to take advantage of the discount, so go ahead and use it.

I'm an actual student, and I had no problem finding my school, BTW.

lilmoonee

high school student cannot take advantage of the student discount. anyways since u are going on black friday they will already have 10% off ipod related items. you probably cannot use both discounts.

MIMIC

lilmoonee said:
high school student cannot take advantage of the student discount.
Yeah you can...that's how I ordered mine.

jhansman

Hmmm, when I called Apple, I was told the discount could only be had online. I wanted to drive the 80 miles the store is from my house, but was told it would do me no good, so I ordered online. This was strange, because I was able to order without any verification that I was entitled to the discount.

kyussmondo

Its says on the Apple website to either select your college or university or your K-12 School. I'm not sure what a K-12 school is though since I am not American.

With the UK site it says that you must be 18 or over and a student ID card. You can shop for your school, but you would have to get your teacher to buy it.

So in the US I think you can. In the UK you have to be at uni.

MIMIC

slashjunior said:
Its says on the Apple website to either select your college or university or your K-12 School. I'm not sure what a K-12 school is though since I am not American.
'K-12' is Kindergarten through 12th grade (Kindergarten, 1st grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, etc.).

Just for clarification purposes, K-5 is Elementary School; 6-8 is Middle School/Junior High School; and 9-12 is High School/Senior High School.

iObsessed

In general, I believe Apple tries to keep the educational discounts limited to its own online store. The money a student saves basically replaces the commission a reseller would get from Apple.

In my experience, student discounts are online only. Only need the name of your school and your student ID number.

-i2i-

I go school In the UK and I am 14. On the apple website it says that anyone who is in full-time education can get a discount (i.e. me) so my parents ordered one for me on their credit card I haven't had it delivered yet but are you saying that it won't work because I'm not 18??

TheDarkTrumpet

Discounts can also be used by calling. When I called they asked me what college I went to, and some information basically about if I was a student or not. I answered all the questions, and got the discounts on both the ipod and the necessary cables, my 20g ipod and cable coming to a total of about 406 dollars U.S.

jeffspam

stonehhh5 said:
exactly what qualifies? im just a student at a public high school.
btw.. im planning to go to the apple store in soho NYC on black friday morning :) :)
I bought an iPod at the Soho NYC store with an education discount. It was a college ID though. I assume you have some sort of high school ID, so remember to bring it with you. They make you fill out some minor paperwork, but you get the same price as you would for an online edu discount.

Keep in mind that you get probably get a (slightly) better deal if you hold out for a coupon (i.e. dell.com) or special promo. Once you add tax back onto the purchase, you're pretty much back up to the original price of the unit.

stonehhh5

well... i came back with a 20 Gig iPod! Wheee!! i got the 10% off promotion today and i asked about the student discount and the sales lady said it can be combined but they needed a college ID and another photo ID (drivers license etc..) too bad i was just a high school student. the discount would have been 30 dollars, so a total of 70 dollars slashed off the original. too bad for me. :( *is very happy with my ipod* :) :)