Discovery! Nano charges with generic USB power adapter

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

iPodKem

It looks like my new nano can be charged with my generic boxwave usb adapter. I currently use this adapter with my psp and iPaq.

It did not work with my (now gone) 40GB 4G iPod because the full size iPods must have had some protocol on the data lines that was exclusively implemented in the Apple USB power adapter.

Can anyone else confirm that their generic usb power adapter can be used to charge their nano? I haven't gone through a full charge cycle but I get the blinking charging icon!

If the charging protocol of the full size iPods has been eliminated, we could use generic usb batteries to charge the nano as well.

jonmadhash

YOU WANT SOME OF THIS?™
Heh, nothing new about this, I charge my iPod mini on a generic usb hub, it works fine, as long as the line has voltage it should work.

star882

Could your adapter be too small (not enough amps) to run the regular iPod but enough for the nano?

iPodKem

No, it is a 1 amp adapter which is the same as Apple's, so it should have had plenty of power for the full size iPod. Others have reported that their full size ipod would only charge with Apple's usb power adapter.

I was going to buy apple's overpriced usb power adapter and it's great finding out that I already have one that works (and was half the price!).