Disclose: Your (Music) Library size, and have you lsitened to all your songs?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Jimmy97

I recently (in the past month) jumped from a 250 song library to a 1200 song library, both through downloads and taking from friends - and now it totals at 9GB. Not much by iLounge user's standards, but it's pretty decent for me. I'm still in the process of listening to it all, I'm pretty sure I'm halfway through right now, but I'm going song-by-song (album by album, actually, but I mean through all the songs). The best part is that I love each and every song, and I'm sure it'll be the same for the rest (they're all by artists I really like).
I'm also still fixing up the labelings and album art for each and every song.

So, how about yours? This thread is just for music libraries, guys, video's excluded. Especially to those of you with over 100GB of music, have you heard all your songs?

Code Monkey

It's currently at 36,169 tracks, of which 40 haven't been listened to yet, but they were added in the past week. Those 40 will get their listen soon enough. I listen to everything and pitch that which I find I don't want to listen to. If I actually just held onto everything I've ever had I'm not even sure how big my library would be, probably at least 50,000, maybe approaching 60,000 tracks.

I may be a music slut, but I'm a picky one :D

bdb

On the B side of life
I have about 80-90GB of music. I don't manage it with iTunes or anything like that; I mostly keep it on a portable drive that I use at home & work (I don't have iTunes on my work PC).

I've certainly listened to it all, but there is a lot of it that I haven't listened to recently. There are some albums I keep coming back to, and some that I listen to once in a blue moon. Most of the singles that I've downloaded have tended to get lost in the mire; I hang onto them but never really listen to them.

patrickrlewis

Website
www.myspace.com
just finished updating mine this week, and right now it is at 29,847 songs, and I have listened to every one of them at least once (and some of them only once, lol).

I am right at 130gb, which is why I am hoping they make a bigger capacity Ipod soon!

Jimmy97

:D
I'm sure everyone with that large a library has many/most of their songs with a Play Count of 1. And to think, I used to dream of a 1000 song library (which I now have), let alone a 20,000 one. Though in my defence, I only started collecting around 2 months ago (and I've jumped around 7GB since).
The most my friends have is around 6,000 songs (one guy out of all of them) and another has around 4,000. I do know a guy with around a 17,000 song library though he lives in Canada (I don't) so I can't check out (or take from :D) his library. He told me he hadn't listened to a lot of them, though.

Code Monkey

I'm sure everyone with that large a library has many/most of their songs with a Play Count of 1.
Technically true (22K have a playcount of 1), but I also replaced via re-encoding a good third of the library over the past 18 months. This is why I have my playlist system: while there's the obscure song that I'm only hearing once every 14 months or whatever, I have plenty of favorites that have playcounts higher than 10, which for my attention span is a lot ;).

And to think, I used to dream of a 1000 song library (which I now have), let alone a 20,000 one.
Ah, 20,000 - that's like my unicorn, some fantastical beast I tell my self I'd like to pare my library down to, but probably will never reach.

Though in my defence, I only started collecting around 2 months ago (and I've jumped around 7GB since).
Two months? You'll soon see a lot more than 1000 then ;)

Jimmy97

Code Monkey said:
This is why I have my playlist system: while there's the obscure song that I'm only hearing once every 14 months or whatever, I have plenty of favorites that have playcounts higher than 10, which for my attention span is a lot .
It's easier to rack up a play count when you have a smaller library, though I do hate repeating songs constantly. Highest play count I have is around 50, but those songs I've had for a while and they're just the kind that stick in your head that you have to hear them, or if I'm learning to play them or sing them.

Ah, 20,000 - that's like my unicorn, some fantastical beast I tell my self I'd like to pare my library down to, but probably will never reach.
You pare, I'll expand ;)

Two months? You'll soon see a lot more than 1000 then
Hope so :) Problem is when I'm adding more than listening, since I don't want to be the guy who has a huge library he hasn't listened to. Plus, if I don't like a song, I delete it directly. I'm just picky about what gets into my library.

Code Monkey

Hope so :) Problem is when I'm adding more than listening, since I don't want to be the guy who has a huge library he hasn't listened to. Plus, if I don't like a song, I delete it directly. I'm just picky about what gets into my library.
I keep a playlist that is just for unplayed songs - if the unplayed begins to "pile up", I'll just listen to that for a while. For part of 2007 & 2008 I *only* listened to unplayed songs since I'd re-encoded so much of my library. It was kind of wild to realize that for about 9 months I had listened to music daily and never heard one repeat.

Jimmy97

That's a pretty good idea, might do just that. I do currently have a lot of songs I haven't listened to (recently added).
I'm also going to need a new hard drive, this one's filling up with download material (both video and music) way too fast.
I'm already down to 1145 songs (deleted a lot of songs I didn't like, and added others, mostly Eagles albums and Dream Theater albums) and for the moment I think I'm going to lessen downloads and listen more.
Pretty interesting learning about other people's libraries, anyone else? :D
Anyone here edit their library down to the last letter? I sure do, and I'm not too proud of it. I have the main fields filled out for all songs, with immense attention to detail (If I see a capital "T" in "The" in the title of a song, I'll make it a "t"), and album art filled out for all songs without exception, and lyrics for around half my library. Hell I even have comments on song suites naming the parts they have in them.

Code Monkey

Anyone here edit their library down to the last letter? I sure do, and I'm not too proud of it.
No need to be ashamed about being obsessive about music :D

My 35K+ tracks are all fully tagged with track name, artist, album artist (plus any necessary sorting overrides for these three fields), full track and disc information, embedded album art, genre, and the source information (e.g. EAC/FLAC - Nero) is in the comments field. All names are consistently capitalized and I try to keep all meta tags in names consistent as well. Live music is tagged with the full date if possible in the name. Any time I spot anything wrong I add it to the OTG list and fix it next time I sync.

The newest trend in anal retentiveness is that since I got my 4G nano with it's full screen width album art I'm finding lots of covers that have things like "3D shadows", a row of white pixels on the edge, or the art scan is tilted slightly - these get flagged with the OTG list and the art replaced.

melsmusic

11,767 --55gb on my netbook which I'm currently checking my library size. I have more on my notebook, and more again on an external for the songs that I did only listen to once & didn't like too much. I keep them in case my taste or mood changes, which has happened, but not frequently.

I don't have many with low or no playcounts, although more on my netbook as it's new so I haven't got to everything yet.

I do find I'm still expanding my library, but at a slower rate than say a few years ago when I first got my ipod.

I have 10,605 tracks (65.41GB) so far but I am in the process of reducing my library to only tracks that I like and getting rid of the tracks I don't listen to or want in my library. I have about 110 more tracks to go through on that one. Most of these tracks I have listened to at least once and the newest ones I haven't listened to as of yet are few since they are recent downloads.

eqblues

Blue since the 70's
My library has 31,832 songs (180GB) and thats AFTER losing around 3,000 songs with a failed HD recently.

I have listened to almost every song at least once and I also keep a "recently added" playlist that I play from as much as I can. Right now my not-played-yet tally goes up to just 164 songs, but that should be gone in a few days. The playlist keeps shrinking and growing as I add/listen to new music. I like always having something "fresh" and new to listen to.

Cold Irons

I've got 21470 (sig is a little out of date). The only "real" stuff not listened to is the new Silversun Pickups album that I just added. However, have 350 songs with playcount = 0. These are all either Comedy or Soundtrack stuff that I have collected & want to keep, but not in a hurry to listen to.

The only songs in my playcount = 1 playlist right now are copies of Dylan's Theme Time Radio Show.

Germansuplex

I have not listened to roughly 80% of my libarary... literally. I have over 25,000 tracks in my library and a shade over 20,000 have a playcount of zero. I lost my playcounts/playlists/etc. in September of 2006, so many things probably were listened to that didn't carry over, but that could only be about 1,000, give or take. And then there are tracks that I listened to a LOT before importing to iTunes (stuff from cassette and CD from the mid 90's that I've played to death over the years and haven't had the desire to listen to). Even still, I need to trim the fat from my library.

crashtestdummy

Sometimes I am happiest listening to old favorites. I have to be in the right mood to listen to my new and unfamiliar stuff.

I have over 11,000 tunes and 3000 have not been rated yet. I have most of my music on an external drive on my home computer, but I also have a lot on my work computer. I transfer ratings back and forth, so I end up with unplayed music that is rated on my Ipod. I also have lots of played music that wasn't rated because I was busy at the time. Little by little I get it updated and listened to.

Chricton

I have a little over 51,000 songs, and definitely haven't listened to a massive chunk of it. But like the TC, everytime I eventually get to something new, I love it, and go on a tangent getting a ton more similar to it. I sit on that subgenre for a short while, stumbling onto somethig NOT similar, loving it, and end up repeating the cycle, never finishing the genre I was on before. So I basically end up with a ton of music I'll more than likely like, but just never get to it because I'm hooked on something else.

gordgekko

I have about 9000 songs on my iPod and have listened to all of them at one time or another, whether on the CDs they were originally ripped from or on the iPod itself.

shabbs

UberGellin' Lounger
Current Library Statistics:
- Total Tracks: 14,853
- Total Albums: 1,102
- Total Artists: 400
- Total Genres: 54
- Total Playing Time: 1063:29:55

It has been a long time since I listened to a lot of those tracks, but I do have a feeling there are some tracks on there that I've never listened to...

Ocean Soul

Website
www.last.fm
I currently have 3702 tracks, and I've listened to almost all of them at least once in the past six months (which was when I reset the play counts). There are about 60 songs that I haven't listened to yet, but I'm sure I'll get around to it soon.