disabling video feature

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

marcula

I have an odd question for the forum.

I would like to know if it's possible to disable the video playback on my ipod video.

I suppose I could just erase the software? Anything else I could do? Is there anyway to permantly disable the video playback (with out destroying the screen!) but keep the audio and photographic display function?

Thanks!

Marc

marcula

it's too complicated to explain!

I did say it was a strange question.

silver_haze20

Noob Hunter Hunter
Remove video from the main menu under settings, it's as good as gone...You can't access it at least. Then don't transfer movies onto it...

I'm interested though, why do you want to remove it? I know you said it's complicated, but there must be some reasoning...

marcula

thanks.

I work for a school, where some children bring in these devices. The schools policy is not to allow portible televisions to be brought in the school.

Some parents have infprmed the school that their machines have had the video software erased or disabled and therefore films can't be seen on it (only music can be listened to using it)

I wanted to find out if such a thing is possible.

I have some back ground in software and thought it basically impossible to rig an Ipod permanantly video inoperable. Even if one were to erase the programme, you could download a new one?

I think it would be naive to assume a 13yr old with internet access would have much difficulty downloading some new software for it!

Any ideas?!

TheJosher

Music Is Your Friend.
Website
www.thejosher.net
No, its not possible to permanintly remove the video playback. The only way I'd see, would be to wait until Ipodlinux works on the 5G, then custom compile it to remove the video player.

Now, that'd work.. but all the child would have to do is use the iPod updater to restore it back to the apple firmware.

Plus, its a bit drastic. It changes the whole operating system of the iPod... not something I'd want a school to do to my new $300 gizmo ;)

I'm not sure what the parents are doing.. but I'm assuming their just using a 4G or earlier iPod?

Josh

marcula

I don't know if it's a 4g or 5g. It's called IPod Video though, so it's supposed to show films.

perhaps just erasing the video from setting as silver haze said would trick the child into thinking it was gone?

The only other thing would be to write a programme to sit in the machine and erase any movie files as they're placed on the memory!

thanks

TheJosher

Music Is Your Friend.
Website
www.thejosher.net
I don't think you can mod the firmware like that (to remove video as added).. you'd almost have to completely rewrite it, and that'd be pretty hard without the source. (There isnt' even a compiler ;) )

You could remove the menu item.. but just playing around with the settings will easily turn it back on. (And once one person finds out how, he'll tell as his friends.. and it'll become common knowledge.)

But its not really a portable TV, as it'll only play prerecorded files. Is there any reason why its not allowed?

Josh

marcula

thanks.

So basically it's impossible.

And without a compiler you could even spend ages writing a programme anyway.

The reason they are not allowed in school is that it's hard enough to get kids attention in class as it is without these things to distract them.

thanks!