Disabling Spell-check?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Bill#2

Hi,
I recently purchased an iPad, and the only really annoying thing about it is the spell-check or auto-fill or whatever the terminology is. Part of the problem is that I'm a "hunt-and-peck" typer, and have been this way since I was a kid. I look at the keyboard when I type, and hit "enter" when I'm done. So of course, this feature has completely changed the spelling on my search inquiry. Anyway, is there a way to disable this "feature"? Thanks
Bill

kornchild2002

The iPad, just like every other touch screen device since 2007, relies on you looking at both the keyboard and the above display. The iPad's auto-entry, to my knowledge, cannot be disabled. That means that you will have to look at a word before moving onto the next one. The best thing you can do is learn the proper qwerty keyboard layout as that will make life better for you.

I learned to type on an old Apple IIe back in the early 90's (when I was 8) and it has carried with me to my current age. Even my 72 year old grandpa, someone who would always hunt and peck, learned how to properly type a few years ago when they purchased a new computer. Learning how to type (which is essentially just the layout of the keys) will really help your everyday life.

kornchild2002

Well, there you go. I have never had to worry about turning off spell check or auto entry simply because I can type. I still stand by what I said in that the OP would be better serviced by actually learning how to type instead of taking 3459873 minutes just to write a paragraph by slowly pecking out one word at a time.

Website
www.ilounge.com
I've never turned it off either - as usual I only know about the option because I research each iOS update in-depth for my articles on the main site.

It's worth noting that the autocorrect option is adaptive... It does learn as you go and can even pull phrses from apps like your address book (ie, names). I used to take extra steps to ensure that my dictionary files were preserved just to maintain that "learning" history back in the early days of iOS 1.x. Snce then it's included in the normal device backups and transfers over during a restore.

Note that the spell-check option is different from the auto-correct option. "Check spelling" refers to the feature where misspelled words are underlined in red. However, auto-correction must be enabled for spell check to be enabled.