Disable iPod touch sideways?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Partifaction

Is there any way that I can disable my iTouch from turning to the album scorller after I turn it sideways?

RompaRoom

up_all_night
I wish there was this option as well.

If I'm not missing something and remember correct we can't rewind/forward while in Cover Flow? And we cant rate songs while in Cover Flow either?

Those are my main gripes with it.

BlackWolf

RompaRoom said:
I wish there was this option as well.

If I'm not missing something and remember correct we can't rewind/forward while in Cover Flow? And we cant rate songs while in Cover Flow either?

Those are my main gripes with it.
thats because cover flow is just an easier/faster (maybe) way to browse your albums. it is not supposed to be the main playback screen and it never was supposed to be that.
so cover flow is just for searching albums/songs but not to be on when you want playback controls.

kornchild2002

As BlackWolf stated, cover flow is just for selecting your music (mainly albums). If you want more precise controls then go to the now playing screen. It is the same way with all iPod models. The album, artist, genre, playlist, etc. selection screens just show you the music. You need to go to the now playing screen to edit some information. So I guess you would have a problem with all iPod models then?

dvAshawn

kornchild2002 said:
As BlackWolf stated, cover flow is just for selecting your music (mainly albums). If you want more precise controls then go to the now playing screen. It is the same way with all iPod models. The album, artist, genre, playlist, etc. selection screens just show you the music. You need to go to the now playing screen to edit some information. So I guess you would have a problem with all iPod models then?
I think the poster is talking about when you are in the now playing screen and you turn the touch sideways. It goes to cover flow view and there is a small play/pause button in the lower left corner. I agree it would be nice if you could control this behavior somehow.

BlackWolf

dvAshawn said:
I think the poster is talking about when you are in the now playing screen and you turn the touch sideways. It goes to cover flow view and there is a small play/pause button in the lower left corner. I agree it would be nice if you could control this behavior somehow.
yeah he is. but like it was said, its not possible to turn that off.

.Core

This is more of a question to the poster, but why exactly would you want your iPod Touch sideways when listening to music? I understand that it is a nice GUI when you are switching between a song; as in quick access to the playlist, but that is all it is. This is the exact reason Apple did not add the feature, because cover flow is just another version (or better GUI if you want) of the Playlist menu of your songs. The real controls occur when you listen to the music.

Phl_Gd

.Core said:
This is more of a question to the poster, but why exactly would you want your iPod Touch sideways when listening to music? I understand that it is a nice GUI when you are switching between a song; as in quick access to the playlist, but that is all it is. This is the exact reason Apple did not add the feature, because cover flow is just another version (or better GUI if you want) of the Playlist menu of your songs. The real controls occur when you listen to the music.
For me, this is more of an annoyance when Running (Incase Armband) with my Touch. Always reverts to Cover Flow. Becomes a chore to get back to playlist to skip...

dragontit

This can easily be solved with a firmware update. I too find it annoying when playing music & browsing the web.

kornchild2002

So wait a minute, you don't want the iPod's screen to turn horizontal when you tilt the iPod while browsing the internet? Why tilt the iPod if you don't want the screen to go horizontal? I can understand people wanting cover flow disabled as they have built clips or arm bands that accidentally switch the iPod over to that mode. I guess I don't understand the "& browsing the web" part.

dragontit

Easy answer. Sometimes I browse in my bed. My hands get pretty tired holding it up. I'd prefer using it on my side. I just wish there was an option to enable/disable it.

kornchild2002

Ah, I see. I don't think Apple had the insight to see that people would be using the iPod touch laying down on their sides.

kinex

I have the same problem when lying on my side. It wouldn't be such a problem if one could use the touch in horizontal mode with one hand but that's near impossible.

paranoidxe

I wish there was a way to do this too at least at the NOW PLAYING SCREEN...coverflow is uselss and its pretty well useless for the iPod Touch capacity..as if you are going to have a huge load of albums on a 16gb/8gb iPod Touch. The iPod Classic is probably the most suited for coverflow being as it has massive capacity to store complete albums.

BlackWolf

kinex said:
I have the same problem when lying on my side. It wouldn't be such a problem if one could use the touch in horizontal mode with one hand but that's near impossible.
seems you got tiny hands since I can do that :D

thatsmyaibo

Coverflow is a cool feature but I never really use it (since I chose my songs by artist and not albums). Sometimes if I'm using my iPod in the car or watching a video in bed it slips into CF and it's a bit annoying. I hope they let people disable it in the future...without having to pay $20...

ohiotodd

Three reasons why...

Having the volume adjustor, play selection, etc. available when the iPod touch is sideways, just like when it is upright is key for three reasons. The iPod case I purchased from iPod has a little fold out stand on the back. So when I sit it on my desk at work, propped up in it's case or just flat on the surface, it always goes to sideways mode. So for me to ever control the volume or want to click to another song, I have to pick it up and hold it upright - EVERY TIME! Major annoyance. Also, another biggee... The output for the headphones is on the BOTTOM of the iPod Touch. Never have understood that. When I go to the gym and want to set it up on the rack of the elliptical/exercise bike/treadmill - it physically cannot sit upright. It has to sit sideways. So if I ever want to fast forward songs or control the volume (a new song comes on that seems to be twice the volume of the previous song - blowing my eardrums out) I have to pick it up, turn it sideways, and make my selection. ANNOYING! And then don't even get me started with laying on the beach listening to music and having to sit up and hold the ipod upright every time I want to change songs or control the volume.

:mad:

Aro2220

I've used the iPod touch for two years now and this is by far the most frustrating feature I've ever had to deal with on the iPod touch and even when compared to non-apple mp3 players I've used.

I use my iPod in my car or when I'm walking / jogging etc. In either case the mp3 player frequently goes on its side and switches to cover mode. Sometimes I want to change the song quickly (it needs to be quickly because I'm driving / jogging / etc and I can't just sit there staring at it).

Because of this 'feature' that you can't disable...I have to sit there and hold it on its side and sometimes even put it on its side and then back right side up so the accelerometer knows whats going on...and then I have to wait a few seconds for it to change. It's FRUSTRATING!!!!

And sometimes it just won't switch properly because I'm moving and the accelerometer is being confused...so I shake it...and that stops my music.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I HATE THIS "FEATURE". For microsoft it would be a stupid feature but apple is supposed to be GOOD at making well designed devices and this is just UNACCEPTABLE.

By the way, I am really upset about this. I would give away my iPod touch for the chance to hit Steve Jobs or whoever designed the cover flow feature, square in the head.

epicfanboy

sort of a solution...

I found this on another forum:

If you have a 3G Touch, you can use Orientation Lock:
Double tap the Home Button to bring up multi-tasking. Swipe the bar to the right to bring up music controls. The left button is the Orientation Lock. When it's enabled, you see an icon at the top of the notification tray to let you know it's locked. This locks certain applications in the native view (YouTube videos still play horizontally, Music stays in portrait, and photos stay in portrait).​

This pretty much solved the problem for me. Cover flow looks cool but I agree with others that it isn't very useful. I can't remember a time I actually used it, but was forced into it all the time when setting the device down on my desk at work or the car seat while I'm driving.