DirectTv DVR shows on ipod

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

camcam176

Website
www.cbchs.org
Ok so in the back of my DVR there are USB outlets, and video in and out outlets. so what do you think i should use to get video OFF the dvr and ON my computer so i can convert them. i was thinking USB TO USB. but i wanted to know if anyone knew abou thtis? if so what do i do?

Last edited:

MonkeyPurple

I was searching for this answer to and I was looking at a Yahoo! group and there was a detailed description of why you can't get video off the DVR using the USB. You can get it off, but you have to use another method. (Forgot what it was). If somehow, you can, I would love to know, but I don't think that you can.

howiehoward

Quod me nutrit me destrui
http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/2/115294.html

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=403695

Those are two discussion forums discussing this topic. Apparently, you need other hardware to be able to do this.

EDIT:

Here is a forum post I found helpful. You can actually DISASSEMBLE your DVR and take the harddrive out, connecting it to a computer through an open IDE cable:

I have connected my Dish DVR522 Hard Drive to my PC and upon inspection of the drive with partition magic I notice that it is 3 Linux partitions.

I booted into Knoppix 3.6 and the 3 drives are automatically mounted and short cuts are created on the desktop.

The 1st and 2nd partitions seem to be database files for the TV Guide and DVR Recordings I assume.

The 3rd partition however, has all of the recorded files on it. The problem I've run into is all of these files are in a *.tsp file format. Staying in a Linux environment this is no problem as Xine Media Player will open and play these .tsp files with no problem.

But we all seem to want to pull these files into a windows environment in order to edit out commercial and burn our recordings to DVD...

Anyone out there know anything about .tsp files? How to convert them to an editable format?

I hope some of this information helps someone come to a solution to this problem. I’ll continue to research and see if I can come up with anything. It really sucks that Dish won’t let us just plug into the USB port and back up these hard drives…

Thanks!

P.

Last edited:

camcam176

Website
www.cbchs.org
i think i no what i can do i have a dvd burner that i can hook uo to my tv, so ill burn the shows i want on it and jsut use DVD Dycrypter on it, thats alot easier than disasembeling my dvr

upjeeper

anyone have any updates on this?
i just looked at an archos and those things hook directly to a dvr (via USB) to download the videos, i would think it's possible to trick the dvr into thinking a PC is a archos and download the videos that way??