Dilutions

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

iMartin

I know what I am about to say will probably not make me many friends but I will say it anyway!

After owning a new 3G 20Gb iPod for two weeks here are a few of my observations:

Out of the box the unit does look so cool! Aesthetically it really is well designed, BUT! The finish is so prone to scratches that it has to be hidden away in a protective case! What good is that. Good deign has to be functional as well as looking good.

The battery life stinks! If I run the iPod in continuous play I get 9 hours of play. However as soon as I start selecting different albums this is significantly reduced. To make matters worse the battery meter is useless, After a full charge it takes an hour to register at 100%. If I leave the iPod for a few days the Apple low battery warming displays for a few seconds until the unit realises there is actually power available. IMHO with the experience Apple must have in firmware for the iPod this should have been spotted before release???..and if not a correction should have been posted within days!

I would urge everyone to register their dissatification over the 2.1 firmware bugs with Apple and ask when an upgrade will be released.

ITunes is an excellent piece of software, that is IMHO a market leader. This will bring people to the iPod camp. The market is beginning to open up with more and more competition coming to the market. Up until now Apple have dominated the market but they need to get their act together and sort out hardware and software issues before they are released. If they don't they will loose thier market position.

Do I like my iPod? The answer is yes but if in light of my experience, I think I should have looked in more detail at the alternatives. The firmware and battery issues would definitely have put me off.

Just my 2 pence worth!

Martin