• With the number of recent threads from brand new users that we have observed in our Classifieds forum selling goods under questionable circumstances, we have instituted a new policy restricting new members of iLounge from posting new threads in the Classifieds forum until they have reached "Regular Member" status.

New users become Regular Members once they have made 10 posts and been a member of the iLounge Forums for at least 7 days. Prior to this time, members may still read the Classifieds forum, and even respond to existing threads for items being sold by other members, but they may not create new threads advertising their own items for sale.

This will hopefully help to protect our user community by discouraging fraudulent users from signing up and posting classified ads without having at least a very basic level of established membership in our forums.

Obviously all users should still exercise due diligence when making use of our classifieds forums, but we hope that this restriction will help to decrease the number of blatantly fraudulent ads that we have been seeing in recent weeks.

Please be sure to review our Classified Forum Policy for more information.

Digital music becoming more unwired

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

bdb

On the B side of life
There is an interesting article on a new device likely being announced in the next couple of months (link), where "traditional USB connections will (only) play a minor role in getting content to your device." Several wi-fi enabled MP3 players were announced at CES last month, from major players like Sandisk and iRiver. Like most of the others, this one appears to be focused around centralized (likely subscription) services.

It will be interesting to see how common this becomes in MP3 players, and how (or if) Apple responds to it. Jobs has always belittled subscription services and wi-fi sharing...but then again, it wouldn't be the first time he disparaged competing features and then implemented them.

I hear a lot of people wanting wi-fi syn'ing with PCs, but that's all. It would be OK for a few songs, but wi-fi is a lot slower than USB2.

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
I'm not one who is overly excited about wi-fi transfer of files to my device for full on syncing (slow).

Though I heard on a podcast an example of how it might be cool.

Imagine you had an iPod that normally stayed connected in your car. If you could contact it through wi-fi to sync to it without having to take it out.... That might be interesting.

neb

studogvetmed said:
I'm not one who is overly excited about wi-fi transfer of files to my device for full on syncing (slow).

Though I heard on a podcast an example of how it might be cool.

Imagine you had an iPod that normally stayed connected in your car. If you could contact it through wi-fi to sync to it without having to take it out.... That might be interesting.
But it only saves you carrying it from the car to the computer which you turn on to sync it. Does not sound worth it to me, unless your iPod was padlocked into the car of course :)

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
neb said:
But it only saves you carrying it from the car to the computer which you turn on to sync it. Does not sound worth it to me, unless your iPod was padlocked into the car of course :)
For people have more "permanent" setups for the iPods such as in the glovebox or trunk this could be an interesting feature to have... Not for me, not for many, but hey, could be something. We live in a lazy world after all.

neb

Makes me wonder whether this idea was conceived in the Fatherland of burger-munching, milkshake-swillikng laziness. It most definitely has to be. Anything to keep those extra pounds on those triceps.

Or perhaps they have an arm full of junk already, in which case this could be a useful idea. I think a more useful application of this technology lies in simple day-to-day use. Say you have your iPod mounted in a stereo and you are already browsing your emails, that's the time to update and sync wirelessly, although I fea range may be an issue.

studogvetmed

Website
www.vandeventers.com
That's exactly where it comes from. But it may span more than that. If someone successfully made such a set up for their care, and say had a large capcity iPod there, but a smaller one to carry on their person, I could see where it would be great to be able to have this ability...

If we are worried about range you just need a couple of well placed airport expresses :)

Your example may be the perfect example where slower sync speeds would potentially be moot. Or a sync at the end of the night to be ready for the morning right before you go to bed.

bdb

On the B side of life
I suppose I could see it for incremental updates. My iPod is typically in my house, but not hooked up to a computer. It tends to get behind because I don't sync all that often. But there again, that's an atypical sitation since they stopped selling iPods with AC adapters.

I like the Zune's "social" idea, but their implementation is useless. I really don't care what some punk in the coffee shop is sharing. I want to know what people who like music I like are interested in. iTunes is really the best place for this and they do a bit of it, but they could make it into more of a community thing. Apple seems more interested in video these days, though.

LukeA

Website
luke.ament.googlepages.com
bdb said:
iTunes is really the best place for this and they do a bit of it, but they could make it into more of a community thing. Apple seems more interested in video these days, though.
That's because video is selling like mad. When it cools down, something will take its place. Maybe that will be community on iTunes, which IMO has always seemed anonymous and empty. But I think that there would be a lot of idiots on iTunes (look at Youtube).

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
studogvetmed said:
This is my dream setup. My music server automatically syncs with my car when it's parked downstairs at night. It's not laziness, after u get a job, a coupla of gfs and what not, there is just not euff time to spend making sure yer synch'ed up. My rule is, anything that is done repeatedly needs to be automated!

As far as sharing wirelessly... doesn't the Zune talks to another Zune and that's it?

Last edited:

papayaninja

Better Than Cats
Website
www.google.com
Seeing as I sync pretty much solely overnight anyway, the speed isn't an issue. Just laying my iPod on the desk would save me the immense hassle of reaching down and plugging in a wire.

mrdantownsend

mrdantownsend
Website
www.freewebs.com
If wifi transfers could compete with USB transfers even remotely, then it would be pretty cool.

If they get as fast as firewire, then it would be the balls.

But for now, it seems stupid to have a wifi transfer if the speeds are so slow.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
mrdantownsend said:
it seems stupid to have a wifi transfer if the speeds are so slow.
Ur missing the point. Yer thinking one-dimensional. At least one reason is already been mentioned that a wired connection cannot do.