Digital Camera Link - Belkin

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Old Gammy Leg

I have a 4G 40gb iPod purchased in the US. I also have a Belkin Digital Camera link.

I know there are firmware issues with 4G iPods and the Digital Link, but I purchased it directly from Belkin's website on 16/9, so it should have the updated firmware.

When I plug the Digital link into the iPod, I get a green light for about 2 sec, then all 3 LEDs go continuously red. I also get the battery charging icon on the iPod (this definitely shouldn't happen!). This error does match any of those described in the manual. I cannot transfer any images from my camera, since this error occurs before even plugging the camera in.

The iPod seems otherwise fine. I running it as a Windows device. I have updated the firmware, put fresh batteries in the Digital Link, made sure the iPod is fully charged, etc.

Belkin tech support have been absolutely useless (so I'm never buying one of their products ever again). I'd be really grateful for any advice on this. It could just be that they shipped a Digital Link with non-updated firmware, but maybe someone has some advice.

Thanks in advance for your help.

justgotmyipod

I have seen people having problems with the digital camera link. If it is possible, I suggest that you return the link and have a try on belkin media card reader.

Old Gammy Leg

Yeah, would love to, but unfortunately the Media Reder is not compatible with Sony Memory Stick Pro (normal MS yes, but not pro). Also IRC the Media Reder is a lot slower.

yms901

that's right the same problem I have encounteted.

when I bought the camera link, belkin.com said this model F8E477 is COMPATIBLE with 4G, it's definitely not the case when i got this. And a few days later, belkin.com said there's some upgrade needed to be done to be compatible with 4G. What's going on???

i called belkin's tech support, they said the 2 types cannot be distinguished from the model number or from appearance. But there should be a replacement when it finally gets an upgrade...

that's BAD impression on Belkin~~~ from the very first product I bought from them.

Old Gammy Leg

So you have the exact same problem?

Green light for 2 sec, then continuous red light when you connect Digital Link to 4G iPod?

I'm never buying another Belkin product again, their tech support and customer service is atrocious. Other readers take note....

yms901

Belkin USA is simply IDIOT!!!!!

I reached Hong Kong's local agent. They sent me the update and I got mine one fixed in less than 3 minutes!!! It now works perfect for my 4G iPod.

Belkin asked me to send the camera link to the US for an update. How idiot are they??? Simply send me the update file OR post it on the web, and avoid a lot of trouble!!!!!!!

Interested parties pls send me a PM for the update.

BELKIN = IDIOT!!!

chirpie

yms901 said:
Belkin USA is simply IDIOT!!!!!

I reached Hong Kong's local agent. They sent me the update and I got mine one fixed in less than 3 minutes!!! It now works perfect for my 4G iPod.

Belkin asked me to send the camera link to the US for an update. How idiot are they??? Simply send me the update file OR post it on the web, and avoid a lot of trouble!!!!!!!

Interested parties pls send me a PM for the update.

BELKIN = IDIOT!!!
YMS... they sent you a firmware? Can this be done by us or does it have to be made by the company?

I only ask because I have THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM as the original poster. I am so BUMMED because I am litterally leaving for China in 6 hours and was just expecting this thing to work, as no one at the Apple store I was at gave any indication otherwise...

This is certainly a last minute cry for help, but I'll take anything! :)

Old Gammy Leg

Update:

This is definitely a firmware problem with the Belkin Digital Camera Link.

Be warned - if you have a 4G iPod, even buying direct from Belkin website is NO GUARANTEE of getting a working Digital Link.

Anyway, I called their awful tech support, wrote a few increasingly stroppy emails... nothing... then, out of the blue, a phone call from UPS. I live in the UK but bought the product in the US... so they are sending me a new one. But no word from Belkin at all, just the courier. I had to pay about 40 USD in tax and import duty etc.... very poor show by Belkin... BUT, they didn't ask for the original Digital Link back - so now I have two!

The new one worked fine, no problem, v.nice fast transfer of images.

Hope all of this is useful to someone lol

yms901

chirpie:
So sorry that I couldn't reply you in time... but do hope you can read this in an cyber-cafe in China...

Yes, it's DIY and can finish updating it within minutes. But you need to copy the "firmware upgrade file" to your ipod in order to update your Digital Camera Link!!!

If you're reading this, pls PM me with your email address (yahoo or gmail preferred) so that I can send you the update.

May I reiterate once again :eek: :eek: :eek: Belkin sucks !!!

yms901

Old Gammy Leg said:
Update:

This is definitely a firmware problem with the Belkin Digital Camera Link.

Be warned - if you have a 4G iPod, even buying direct from Belkin website is NO GUARANTEE of getting a working Digital Link.

Anyway, I called their awful tech support, wrote a few increasingly stroppy emails... nothing... then, out of the blue, a phone call from UPS. I live in the UK but bought the product in the US... so they are sending me a new one. But no word from Belkin at all, just the courier. I had to pay about 40 USD in tax and import duty etc.... very poor show by Belkin... BUT, they didn't ask for the original Digital Link back - so now I have two!

The new one worked fine, no problem, v.nice fast transfer of images.

Hope all of this is useful to someone lol

so nice to hear you got 2 of them.... LOL~~~

If they do post the update on the web, it could save a lot of trouble!!!!

Last edited:

Old Gammy Leg

yms901

would still be great if you could email me the update + instructions.... then at least I can sell the other one on ebay or whatever - they're not even available in the UK for another few months.

Did you get my PM??