Different problem with album artwork not modifiable

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Droopy487

First off, I originally had this problem about a month ago and I let it go. Now it's happened again and it's annoying.

Second, I'm a newb to this forum, but I have searched and searched and searched and I've probably read 35 or more threads on various forums with album artwork not modifiable in the title. I don't see anyone having the issue I am having. So...

The last three cd's I have purchased, I have put onto Itunes. One was an older cd, and two of them were released this year. The two cd's that were released this year will not let me install album artwork of any kind on them. When I click on "get info", it won't even let me click on artwork. It is a light gray and I can't even go to the tab. If I try dragging an image and dropping it in the white box, it acts like I dropped it in, but it isn't there. The box clearly says: Artwork not modifiable. It says artwork not modifiable in the lower left of Itunes when you are on the main screen. You can also see it is a .wav file.

I've also tried highlighting every song on the album and dragging artwork in to the album. That don't work either.

Just for fun I downloaded a song from an mp3 website and paid 99 cents for it that is on one of the cd's. I did what I always do, and clicked get album artwork and it worked no problem. So, do the cd's have some kind of protection on them that I can't crack. I think that's weird that they didn't have artwork on them. The albums are available for purchase on Itunes, so it seems natural since I bought and paid for real cd's that having the artwork on the songs shouldn't be an issue. Oh well.

I took screenshots to illustrate what I am saying.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee177/rockoutracing/Picture3-1.png

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee177/rockoutracing/Picture1-3.png

Last edited:
Website
www.ilounge.com
Hi and welcome to iLounge.

You can't put album artwork in a WAV file, or any other tags for that matter. WAV is generally a very bad format to use in iTunes, since you're relying entirely on the iTunes database to store all of the information about your tracks. Import those files into another iTunes library or another media player application and you will see that they not only contain no artwork, but are missing any other identifying info such as song title or artist.

iTunes will let you fetch album artwork for WAV files automatically from the iTunes Store, and will display this for your WAV files. This is only because automatically-downloaded artwork is only stored in the iTunes database and not in the files. Artwork you add yourself manually is always embedded in the files, and since iTunes cannot do this with WAV files (the field simply isn't there to store it), it won't let you add the artwork at all.

If you're concerned about using an uncompressed audio format, you may want to try AIFF instead, since this does support a metadata structure, at least in iTunes. Apple Lossless is another option, which provides full tagging support and actually reduces your file sizes by about 50-80% from the original without sacrificing any quality at all -- it's still a completely lossless format.

Alternatively, unless you're really stuck on using lossless formats, MP3 or AAC are even better choices as they support the full range of tags within the files and will be significantly smaller.

Droopy487

Thanks for trying and I do appreciate and respect your answer. But, I don't feel it is full answer for the problem I am encountering.

I listen to all kinds of music and fool with Itunes a lot with the CD's I buy or MP3's I buy online. For example. I just checked two Jack Johnson CD's that I purchased and put onto Itunes a couple months ago. They both are WAV files. They both have album artwork. I literally just deleted the artwork and clicked the button to get album artwork and boom there it is. No problem.

The last two CD's I'm talking about is the Zac Brown Band. Pass the Jar a live album and their new one, You Get What you Give. They are WAV files and they are the only files I am having trouble with. I repeat the ONLY WAV files I am having trouble with on downloading or placing album art on.

So, I guess the underlying question is there some kind of protection on the CD that does not allow me to add artwork?

The problem is obviously not it just being a WAV file since other cd's I have downloaded are WAV files and I can add artwork to them if I want. Yes, I have to click on get album art and it does it, but at least it does it.

I knew my problem was odd and wouldn't be the typical textbook reply. That is why I asked.

Sorry, didn't mean anything harmful to you or the forum, but it's an underlying issue that is just aggravating me that I can't crack.

Thanks

Website
www.ilounge.com
I listen to all kinds of music and fool with Itunes a lot with the CD's I buy or MP3's I buy online. For example. I just checked two Jack Johnson CD's that I purchased and put onto Itunes a couple months ago. They both are WAV files. They both have album artwork. I literally just deleted the artwork and clicked the button to get album artwork and boom there it is. No problem.
You can get album artwork for WAV files as this is stored in the iTunes database and not in the track itself (see the second paragraph from my previous response), but you really shouldn't be able to add artwork directly if these are WAV files.

Artwork downloaded from the iTunes Store is always saved in a separate database. Artwork you add yourself is always embedded in the actual media file. WAV files don't support embedded artwork, ergo you cannot add artwork directly to a WAV file through iTunes -- it can only be done through the automatic "Get Album Artwork" function.

The last two CD's I'm talking about is the Zac Brown Band. Pass the Jar a live album and their new one, You Get What you Give. They are WAV files and they are the only files I am having trouble with. I repeat the ONLY WAV files I am having trouble with on downloading or placing album art on.
Keep in mind that the iTunes Store doesn't have artwork for every track out there. In fact, it only supplies artwork for the tracks that Apple actually sells on the iTunes Store.

Further, if you've tagged your tracks differently from how the iTunes Store catalog lists them, it may not be able to match up the artwork with what's on the store. iTunes tries to work around simple things like disc number suffixes and simple pronouns in artist names (ie, a "The" prefix), but if you've got artist or album names that are significantly different from what the iTunes Store lists then it won't be able to match up the artwork.

So, I guess the underlying question is there some kind of protection on the CD that does not allow me to add artwork?
No. There is no such technology for CDs, and once you've ripped a CD to a WAV file that's a completely standard format. iTunes wouldn't be "seeing" anything in a WAV file that would prevent adding metadata to the iTunes database.

The problem is obviously not it just being a WAV file since other cd's I have downloaded are WAV files and I can add artwork to them if I want. Yes, I have to click on get album art and it does it, but at least it does it.
Based on the sentence I've highlighted in your quote above, it sounds like your issue is not with adding artwork manually, but rather with the fact that the iTunes Store simply can't find artwork for some of your tracks.

This is not surprising for the reasons I've already described (the iTunes Store doesn't have artwork for everything out there) and many users encounter this problem frequently. The difference is that in this case most users just do a Google search for a suitable artwork image or scan in the CD cover and add that image themselves. This is not possible with WAV files.

Droopy487

Based on the sentence I've highlighted in your quote above, it sounds like your issue is not with adding artwork manually, but rather with the fact that the iTunes Store simply can't find artwork for some of your tracks.
I appreciate you really paying attention to my posts. I might have mis-portrayed something after I read this quote from you.

I was meaning I can click on any other CD I've downloaded in that says WAV file and get the artwork. Any other. For example, I can click the Jack Johnson cd and it comes up. I CANNOT get anything for the two different Zac Brown cd's I am talking about. No artwork. No matter what I do. Nadda. Nothing. Can't make it appear no matter what.

Itunes in fact has both CD's I am talking about. There is no "The" or anything funny like you mentioned. Itunes has all the songs listed exactly like they are on the CD. Everything is identical. I actually just bought a song that is on my cd and the artwork is with the song. It is still not with my cd I downloaded. Everything else looks 100% identical though.

I will restate. I knew my problem was odd, and thought a guru could swoop in and smack me around real quick and say do this...blah blah blah. But, this problem obviously is a stumper.

So, in case I left anything else out or not clear enough. Both albums have zero artwork on them. Just a box, that I included in my first post that says, "album artwork not modifiable." I can't click or do anything through a function or by dragging or anything. These same albums from one of the hottest bands in the country for their genre of music is available on Itunes. There is no "the" or "a" or dashes or periods or commas or numbers that may make them different. The Itunes album versions look identical to my CD ripped on to Itunes version.

I guess chalk this one up to, "Sorry, I can't help you" list. LOL.

I'm not insane or stupid or completely clueless on a computer. I understand concepts and what you are saying. I understand how to do certain things if I take a stab at it. I've moderated a couple forums before and built a couple websites. So, yeah, I can hunt and peck on a computer and figure out stuff. Just like anything else. Am I a mechanic. Heck no. But, I can change out all my brakes, change the oil, change the fuel filter, put a u-joint in a driveshaft, etc. I compare that to my computer knowledge.

If your advice is telling me to make the file into a different format and I can do whatever. Well. I'll have to look into that and figure that out over the next few days. I wouldn't know where to start on how to do that as of right now. Guess I'm expert on everything, master of nothing. :)

Last edited:
Website
www.ilounge.com
I appreciate you really paying attention to my posts. I might have mis-portrayed something after I read this quote from you.
Okay, I think we're clear on the problem now. :) Going back and reading your original message, you were describing how you couldn't manually add artwork to your tracks, which of course we've already established can't be done with WAV files.

I was meaning I can click on any other CD I've downloaded in that says WAV file and get the artwork. Any other. For example, I can click the Jack Johnson cd and it comes up. I CANNOT get anything for the two different Zac Brown cd's I am talking about. No artwork. No matter what I do. Nadda. Nothing. Can't make it appear no matter what.

Itunes in fact has both CD's I am talking about. There is no "The" or anything funny like you mentioned. Itunes has all the songs listed exactly like they are on the CD. Everything is identical. I actually just bought a song that is on my cd and the artwork is with the song. It is still not with my cd I downloaded. Everything else looks 100% identical though.
The "Get Album Artwork" options shouldn't care what format the file is in -- it only looks at the tags themselves to look up the artwork on the iTunes Store. Normally that's simply the artist name and the album. Looking back at your original screenshot that information looks like it's correct, but it may be worth re-entering it for your tracks just to make sure there aren't any hidden characters that might be confusing the iTunes artwork lookup process.

You also mentioned that you downloaded an MP3 version of one of the tracks and it worked fine to get the artwork. I'm assuming the track didn't already have artwork in it or you removed it manually? Most tracks purchased from services like Amazon already include the artwork embedded into them.

If you open the iTunes Column Browser and look at the list of your artists and albums, does the Zac Brown entry appear only once? Does that particular album appear only once? Is the MP3 version that you downloaded grouped together with the WAV versions that you imported yourself? If they're grouped together under the same Artist and Album in the column browser that's a good indication that the tags are identical between the downloaded MP3 track and your own WAV tracks. If they appear under separate Artist or Album entries, then there's something different about the tags.

Also make sure that your own tracks aren't tagged as "Part of a Compilation" as that's another tag that could be affected iTunes' ability to find the artwork for your own tracks.

I will restate. I knew my problem was odd, and thought a guru could swoop in and smack me around real quick and say do this...blah blah blah. But, this problem obviously is a stumper.
This is either a question of the tags being somehow different (even if you can't see the difference), or it is a bug in the iTunes software and/or iTunes Store with the artwork lookup process. It has nothing to do with your file format or the original CD you imported the tracks from.

So, in case I left anything else out or not clear enough. Both albums have zero artwork on them. Just a box, that I included in my first post that says, "album artwork not modifiable." I can't click or do anything through a function or by dragging or anything.
To be clear, that aspect of this is completely normal for a WAV file. You can't add artwork manually to a WAV file by dragging and dropping. The only option for WAV files is to use the Get Artwork feature in iTunes to download it automatically.

These same albums from one of the hottest bands in the country for their genre of music is available on Itunes. There is no "the" or "a" or dashes or periods or commas or numbers that may make them different. The Itunes album versions look identical to my CD ripped on to Itunes version.
Although they look identical, I'd suggest checking the points I've noted above -- re-type the artist and album name in manually for a track or two and ensure that "Part of a Compilation" is disabled for those tracks.

If your advice is telling me to make the file into a different format and I can do whatever. Well. I'll have to look into that and figure that out over the next few days. I wouldn't know where to start on how to do that as of right now. Guess I'm expert on everything, master of nothing. :)
I'd be very surprised if simply changing the file format suddenly allows iTunes to fetch the artwork if it isn't doing so now. Again, for the Get Artwork process, iTunes doesn't care about the format. The problem you're having is ether a bug somewhere in iTunes or a problem with the tags. If you've manually entered the tags exactly as they appear on the iTunes Store and it's still not fetching the artwork for you, then it's obviously a bug.

What changing the format will do is allow you to add the artwork yourself by fetching it from another source and dragging and dropping it in. In this case, in situations where iTunes can't fetch the artwork, you can simply add it yourself from wherever you can find it online. Artwork you add manually also has the advantage of staying embedded in the files, so if you move the files to another computer, the artwork goes along with them.

Further, ripping your CDs to WAV format takes a lot of space per track, has the major disadvantage of not storing any information in the files, and is generally unnecessary for the reasons I've described above. Converting the files to another format is easy -- you can actually just re-rip the original CD, changing your import settings in iTunes before doing so. High bit-rate MP3 or AAC are probably the best choices. Re-importing your CD should even offer to replace the tracks that are already there with the new format so that you don't end up with duplicates. Alternatively, if you go into your iTunes Preferences and change your import settings there, you can use the "Convert to..." option found on the Advanced menu in iTunes to convert any existing files to the new format. This will make a copy of the files, however, rather than replacing them.

Droopy487

Okay, I think we're clear on the problem now. :) Going back and reading your original message, you were describing how you couldn't manually add artwork to your tracks, which of course we've already established can't be done with WAV files.

The "Get Album Artwork" options shouldn't care what format the file is in -- it only looks at the tags themselves to look up the artwork on the iTunes Store. Normally that's simply the artist name and the album. Looking back at your original screenshot that information looks like it's correct, but it may be worth re-entering it for your tracks just to make sure there aren't any hidden characters that might be confusing the iTunes artwork lookup process.

You also mentioned that you downloaded an MP3 version of one of the tracks and it worked fine to get the artwork. I'm assuming the track didn't already have artwork in it or you removed it manually? Most tracks purchased from services like Amazon already include the artwork embedded into them.

If you open the iTunes Column Browser and look at the list of your artists and albums, does the Zac Brown entry appear only once? Does that particular album appear only once? Is the MP3 version that you downloaded grouped together with the WAV versions that you imported yourself? If they're grouped together under the same Artist and Album in the column browser that's a good indication that the tags are identical between the downloaded MP3 track and your own WAV tracks. If they appear under separate Artist or Album entries, then there's something different about the tags.

Also make sure that your own tracks aren't tagged as "Part of a Compilation" as that's another tag that could be affected iTunes' ability to find the artwork for your own tracks.

This is either a question of the tags being somehow different (even if you can't see the difference), or it is a bug in the iTunes software and/or iTunes Store with the artwork lookup process. It has nothing to do with your file format or the original CD you imported the tracks from.

To be clear, that aspect of this is completely normal for a WAV file. You can't add artwork manually to a WAV file by dragging and dropping. The only option for WAV files is to use the Get Artwork feature in iTunes to download it automatically.

Although they look identical, I'd suggest checking the points I've noted above -- re-type the artist and album name in manually for a track or two and ensure that "Part of a Compilation" is disabled for those tracks.

I'd be very surprised if simply changing the file format suddenly allows iTunes to fetch the artwork if it isn't doing so now. Again, for the Get Artwork process, iTunes doesn't care about the format. The problem you're having is ether a bug somewhere in iTunes or a problem with the tags. If you've manually entered the tags exactly as they appear on the iTunes Store and it's still not fetching the artwork for you, then it's obviously a bug.

What changing the format will do is allow you to add the artwork yourself by fetching it from another source and dragging and dropping it in. In this case, in situations where iTunes can't fetch the artwork, you can simply add it yourself from wherever you can find it online. Artwork you add manually also has the advantage of staying embedded in the files, so if you move the files to another computer, the artwork goes along with them.

Further, ripping your CDs to WAV format takes a lot of space per track, has the major disadvantage of not storing any information in the files, and is generally unnecessary for the reasons I've described above. Converting the files to another format is easy -- you can actually just re-rip the original CD, changing your import settings in iTunes before doing so. High bit-rate MP3 or AAC are probably the best choices. Re-importing your CD should even offer to replace the tracks that are already there with the new format so that you don't end up with duplicates. Alternatively, if you go into your iTunes Preferences and change your import settings there, you can use the "Convert to..." option found on the Advanced menu in iTunes to convert any existing files to the new format. This will make a copy of the files, however, rather than replacing them.
I'll let you know how the re-import goes. :) Thanks.