Difference in Ipod Generations?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Icecube0045

Hello,
I am new to this forum but I plan on being an active user. But anyway to get to the point, I am going to buy an apple 20gb on Friday so I can have it by Christmas on apple.com since they are selling them for $316 with the 2 year insurance plan and that's the best deal I have found so far. I was going to get the mini but for only $50 more and 15 more GB that would be stupid. I have seen some on ebay, and some say 20gb 3rd generation and some say 4th. What is the difference between the two? Also if anyone can tell me where I can get a BETTER deal than the one above, please let me know. I was a bit skeptical about getting an ipod from seeing the video that the two brothers made about the batteries and I have seen a few people on here complaining about them as well. So that is why the warranty is a MUST.

Thanks,
Johmel Galloway

PHiX

4th gen. has a battery which lasts for 12 hours, the 3rd gen battery only lasts for 8 hours. That was enough to make me decide to get the 4th gen. Some people say the 3rd gen looks better, that's why they say to get that one. I don't care about what it looks like, I have it stuck in an iSkin anyway which is in my pocket 90% of the time I use it.

MiNi

the 4th have a grey wheel and the 3rd have four circle buttons and a wheel .... and u dont need a warranty ..cuz if the battery dies u just pay $99 to fix it ..

Icecube0045

Yea, but why would you want to pay $99 when you can just pay for insurance which is around $50? What do you guys think is better 4th or 3rd and the apple site im assuming only sells 4th?

PHiX

Because the warranty only lasts 2 years total, and if your battery dies that will probably be after the warranty is over. Unless you're planning to listen to music 24 hours a day and recharging it 3 times a day there isn't much of a chance of the battery dying in 2 years.

I'm sure if you use the iPod at a regular basis it will last at least 5 years, and by the time the battery is dying in it you might already want a new device anyway. At that time you'll see 9th generation iPod's with a hologram screen, 1 terabyte hard drives and built in projector.... you'll be considered to be a elderly communist if you still want to get your 4th generation iPod fixed at that time. :D

Welcome to the lounge. You can read a history of the iPod here (http://www.ipodlounge.com/articles_more.php?id=4280_0_8_0_M) This article has the info for you on iPods and their differences.

Battery info can be found here (http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19556) if you have not read this already and more info here (http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm)

You can check the iPod deals thread to see if anyone has posted a good deal if you haven't checked that yet. Just look on the last two pages for the most current (http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17508).

I purchased mine form Amazon.com since they have no tax or shipping charges. I'm not sure what their current shipping time is right now but you can check. They had a discount on all iPods when I checked last week for the holidays.

Icecube0045

Phix,
Thats a real nice way of putting it and has me thinging about the insurance, but I still want to protect the investment. You never know, I might be one of the few who does get a defective Ipod.

honeybee1236,

Thanks for the info, Ill check those out right now.

PHiX

I have insurance as well, from a store, and it lasts for 3 years while it costed me less than what apple charges for 1 additional year (you get 1 year for free with every iPod bought).... the Apple warranty "care" deal is really overpriced in my opinion. By the way if an iPod has something wrong with it because of bad manufacturing it'll be most likely the first month you have it when it breaks down. If it breaks down after that it's probably because of dropping it, which won't be repaired/replaced by Apple.

Of course buying an iPod is really a big investment for most, including for me, and if it makes you feel better about it to have that extra warranty get it, but I know I wouldn't have done it if this store didn't offer a deal (same deal I also got on my ps2).

Icecube0045

LOl, I also have insurance on my ps2. I would buy it from a store like best buy or comp USA but they all cost 300 i believe and im not sure about insurance but whatever the insurance is, im sure that its goin to be over 20 bucks so u would get a better deal getting it from apple all together for $316