Difference between paid and free unlocking on my iphone?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Spinstorm

I have orderd an iPhone and will get it tomorrow - I know it has already been unlocked - but I do not know if it was with the free unlock or the first original unlock...

What are the difference? is the iPhone jail breaked with both anyway? or does the paid unlock work differently?

If the paid version was used and the phone is not jailbreaked then can I still do that?

And if it is jailbreaked then how can I use iBricker as I thought it only worked when you used it yourself on your PC...

Thanks!:confused:

j5tar

Website
www.YourFreeiPhone.com
Unlock is unlock theres no paid or whatever. You coulda just bought a $500 iPhone and unlocked it yourself for free. But Apple doesn't support unlocked phones. So if you update your iPhone, it will get bricked.

davwin

Not sure if both are already done on your iPhone as jailbreak and unlock are different things. One is software (jailbreak) to allow you to "trick" activation, run 3rd party apps on your iPhone, and other things... And and one re-writes code on the modem chip (unlock) to allow you to use the iPhone with other carriers. The jailbreak can be erased with a restore from within iTunes but, to reverse the unlock requires more effort - although the iPhone Dev Team has promised to release a tool next week to revert back to factory state.

The general assumption is that if your iPhone has the paid unlock and you restore it to factory condition for a firmware update or anything then you would have to pay again to unlock it again - or as j5tar pointed out, redo the unlock yourself using the free app. For jailbreak, you should be able to run it again if needed (a version compatibile with your iPhone's firmware of course).

Spinstorm

I got the phone today - I have no idea which method was used to unlock the phone however.

I make the assumption that in order for the PAID unlock to work the phone has to be jailbreaked first? just as with the free unlock...

Either way it was already jailbreaked and unlocked when I got it (complete with AT&T sim card!).

I dont want to seem a killjoy but the apps for the iphone don't seem that exciting to me! Am I missing something? as iBrickr choices arent that exciting!

thatdude90210

Spinstorm said:
I dont want to seem a killjoy but the apps for the iphone don't seem that exciting to me! Am I missing something? as iBrickr choices arent that exciting!
First install "installer" then use that to install community source package. That will present you with much more choices.

Spinstorm

Ok I did that!

Thanks there is lots more now BUT how do I know what they all do as there is no description!

Is there a site saying what they all are?

Also what happens when you fill up all the space on the springboard if you add even more apps? Thanks.

Last edited:

espanoliPod

Spanish Speaking Lounger
j5tar said:
So if you update your iPhone, it will get bricked.
That's not necessarily true. Apple has made threats implying that this might be the case with their next software update, but we will have to wait and see what happens with the next update to find out if they really are bricking the unlocked phones or not.

Spinstorm

Lets hope that either they are just trying to scare us all OR

that the iphone dev guys find a way around it however they can - as I am sure no one wants to miss out on the apple updates provided they can still use their phones unlocked!

thatdude90210

Spinstorm said:
Ok I did that!

Thanks there is lots more now BUT how do I know what they all do as there is no description!

Is there a site saying what they all are?

Also what happens when you fill up all the space on the springboard if you add even more apps? Thanks.
The only one I know of is this one for explaining some the packages:
http://smxy.org/iphone-apps/info/

and discussion forums such as http://hackint0sh.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123

As for what happens if you need more space, there is Summerboard. No experience with it though since I haven't installed that many things yet.

Edit: Oh, I completely forgot, there's a button on the bottom of each utility that says "More info..." Just press that will open up Safari to take you to the site of each utility.

Last edited: