Difference between Mac/Win formatted iPods?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

kainjow

Website
www.kainjow.com
My iPod used to be Mac formatted, but then we got a PC and I wanted to test the iPod/iTunes on Windows so I reformatted it from the PC, and now I have it so it works fine on both Mac and PC. But, I've noticed a few things in the new Win formatted iPod. Has anyone who has done what I've done noticed these things ?

1) Notes take considerably longer to load. Previously they would maybe show the loading screen and then after they were loaded it would be fine. But now it skips around and isn't smooth navigating through notes.

2) If there is a note that has no extension (i.e. Groceries as opposed to Groceries.txt) sometimes it would appear on the iPod as "Groceries." where on the Mac formatted one it would never append that dot to the name.

Anyone experienced these problems? Is it normal? Is this just more proof that Mac > Windows? :D My friend has a Windows formatted iPod mini (never been formatted on Mac) and none of the problems I've described appear on his iPod.

Oh, btw I have a 3rd generation 10GB iPod running iPod software (firmware) 2.1 if that helps...

Last edited:

dcmacnut

Website
www.redwildshow.com
A Windows formated iPod will work on the Mac, as you've discovered, but since it's a different hard drive format (Fat32 vs HFS+) I've heard that syncing a WinPod with a Mac does tend to take a little longer.

How many notes do you have? I've noticed that my Mac Pod goes sluggish when it's trying to process dozens of note files.

On the extensions question, Macs have only recently, with OSX, started using extensions, and in many cases you have to tell the OS to display the extension for individual files. The .txt is there, the Mac Finder just doesn't show it.

Chris

kainjow

Website
www.kainjow.com
No the txt extension is not there. The file is written as "Groceries" without any extension whatsoever. But sometimes the iPod puts a little dot after it. Not sure why though.

dcmacnut

Website
www.redwildshow.com
kainjow said:
No the txt extension is not there. The file is written as "Groceries" without any extension whatsoever. But sometimes the iPod puts a little dot after it. Not sure why though.
I meant the ".txt" is there insomuch as it is a text file. I didn't mean to imply that it would show up. It's just a part of the naming convetion on Macs, where Mac's don't normally use extensions. Not sure why it throws the extra "." there. If you want the .txt, just open the iPod up on the Mac, and rename it in the Notes folder.