• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

Difference between kbps?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

BiReL41r

iPod Video Owner
Alright, so I rip my .avi files to .mp4 in 512kbps and it took quite long and used up a lot of mb. I tryed 216kbps and it took faster and used less mb, ALSO I didn't notice a difference between the two. What is the difference between high and low kbps? I currently use QVGA/15fps/216kbps Mono/48kbps, and use to use QVGA/15fps/512kbps Mono/48kbps but now the 216kbps is faster and smaller in mb. Is there a reason for this, the quality isn't any different between the two.

Also what's the difference between Mono and Stereo, I always used Mono so I'm not farmilar with Stereo.

Thanks!

soymilk

The more kbps the bigger the file size, and in theory the better the picture quality.

Im 100% sure 512kbps looks better than 216kbps, you're probably not looking hard enough. But if it works for you.... run with it.

The higher the bitrate (kbps) the better the picture quality. I've encoded near 2000kbps for my ipod. Its alot better than at 512kbps. My guess why you're not noticing a difference is because you're encoding either anime or cartoons.

Stereo means theres a different sound track for both ears. Like if a gun is fired from the left.... you would hear it on the left side of the earphones first. Mono means that both sides of the earphones have the same sound.

TheJosher

Music Is Your Friend.
Website
www.thejosher.net
The higher the bitrate (kbps) the better the picture quality. I've encoded near 2000kbps for my ipod. Its alot better than at 512kbps. My guess why you're not noticing a difference is because you're encoding either anime or cartoons.
Or if the video file wasn't a very high quality anyway.

I'm encoding mine at 512KB-768KBps... the quality is decent. 2000kbps is just too big.. thats like bigger than the source file, and the resolution is like two inches wide ;)

Josh

BiReL41r

iPod Video Owner
Thank you guys for the help, I'm actually converting actual movies not anime or cartoons and the only difference I can see between the two are the tiny words of the credits at the end.