Did buying an iPod influence you to get more music?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

edv689

Yes, I like that I don't have to buy a whole CD just because I like two songs. With Itunes I can just buy one song. I have bought music I probably would never had if I had to buy the whole CD.

Hit'EmUp

i got my ipod mid feb., and i had under 2 gigs of music, about 1 3/4

now i started borrowing everyones cds, i got 4.67 gigs

Audiowave

In a way for me,because I had iTunes LONG before I got an ipod.Though getting my ipod infulenced me in trying the music store.

Ernie 2.0

when i first put my music from my computer to my ipod, i had 300... (ew), now i have 1200+ :D!

Kidtnt27

Well when I first bought my ipod...I had about 500 Cds....and approx 1000 instrumentals save on my computer. Since I have had my ipod....I have found myself.....selling/ trading my cd collection to music stores, friends, and family....so that I can continue to fill my ipod with music. I am on a mission now to find every Miles Davis recording....as well as Stan Getz....A Tribe Called Quest....etc....I have been borrowing albums from friends.....etc. Doing anything that I can to make sure that I have all of the 2 pac albums for example. Having an ipod has definitely influenced me to go and find stuff I would not normally buy...cause I can buy it...sell it back to a different music store or a friend...and not really lose much. I am currently up to 575 cd on my ipod and 31 gigs used. (8200 songs approx.)

swy32x

Yes, much more, and it helped me expand my musical tastes. This was influenced by iTunes, iPod, and iPodlounge.

jmmtn4aj

Ownage Lounger
Website
www.last.fm
lol i had about 1500 songs and i bought the ipod cos i was too lazy to keep burning it onto cds and switching discs. anyway ive about 1700 now so i dont think its changed much of anything.

Johnnybatters

I really thought a mini 4GB would be enough for me and it is but this Ipod is so addicting. The answer to your question is YES. Just in the last two weeks I bought 23 CDs and I got a bunch of songs online from bearshare. But now my mini is full and I'm going to buy a 20GB Ipod next month.

Also, at first I thought the Ipod is bad for the music industry because most I think would load their player with free songs but I'm proof that I was wrong. Without my Ipod I would have never bought so many CDs.

pohatu771

A Bit Outdated
If it weren't for iPod+iTunes, I wouldn't have rediscovered my old Barenaked Ladies albums... And iPod has made bus rides a lot better- 45 minutes of The Beatles instead of whatever crap is on the radio.

dragfree

Simple-minded
No, actually the opposite. In determining what I really wanted on my pod, I examined my CD collection and realized that there are many I seldom or never listen to, so there's not much point in keeping them when someone else might enjoy them. Do I really need four different recordings of The Marriage of Figaro? Probably not. Will I ever again listen to some of the pop albums I bought because I liked one song on the radio? Doubtful. Can I eliminate some of the 14 recordings I have of Sibelius's Fifth Symphony? Well...maybe I could pare it down to an even dozen!

Of course I'm still buying new recordings, but that's been going on since the Beatles and Beach Boys were trading spots at the top of the charts, and having an iPod has neither accelerated nor slowed the pace of acquisition.

pohatu771

A Bit Outdated
It is, assuming you don't want 8 songs that can be bought on disc for $6. I've seen them... I haven't bought them, but I've seen them.

tulsagentleman

Geriatric Lounger
When I got my 40gb 4G iPod back in October 2004, I ripped my 500+ cd collection and put it all on my iPod. I have been buying cds since the format came out in the mid 1980's and thought it was great to have my entire music collection in the palm of my hand. I imagined that I would be satisfied with having all that music in my pocket, accessable at the touch of a finger.

Then I discovered the ease with which I could add new music from iTunes and started buying more stuff -- and THEN I discovered allofmp3 and really got started. I snatched up all those wonderful classic rock anthologies that I had never been able to afford, and complete sets of symphonies/concertos/sonatas by Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, etc., etc.

Of course I soon ran out of room on my 40gb iPod and learned how to uncheck some of my music to make room for new stuff. Like Dragfree, I had to admit that 3 versions of Bach's Sonata for Unacompanied Cello might be more than I needed

ITunes makes that very easy, and now I have a lot more music on my computer than I carry on my iPod. Every time I acquire some new recordings I have to make the tough choice of what I will move off to make room for it. But the nice thing is that it isn't gone, it is waiting there in my library for me to listen to it from the cdomputer, or rotate it back to the iPod to be enjoyed again.

So my answer is yes, my iPod did prompt me to buy more music. More than that, it let me enjoy lots of older recordings that I had not listened to for a long time. It encouraged me to look at a lot of new music that I had not heard before and have really enjoyed.

So I think the iPod is the greatest invention since the Victrola. I have tons of great music in the palm of my hand and I enjoy it almost constantly. Well OK, I do unplug and talk to my wife over dinner, but she is the exception.

Just for the record, I have 60.2gb of music in my library of which 23gb is Classical, 18gb is rock/pop, 10gb is jazz. and the rest an eclectic stew. What actually fits on a 40gb iPod is about 37gb of the stuff that made the cut.

dragfree

Simple-minded
Tulsa--you can get by with only three sets of the Bach Cello Suites? I make do with Fournier, Tortellier, and Wispelway--but if you don't already know it, you might give Edgar Meyer's recording of 3 of the suites on Double Bass a try--very nice!