Did buying an iPod influence you to get more music?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Kikoman

SUSPENDED - Abusive Language
For me, when I got my iPod, I went out and bought a whoooole lot of music. I really didnt want that 20 gigs to goto waste, so yes, it influenced me to get more music.

What I want to ask is did you buy your iPod because you had a lot of music or did your get your iPod and get some music on it?

wyneken

Me too. And it also led directly to trying out new music that I otherwise would never have heard, because I got in the habit of cruising around the internet looking for free music to download. This, in turn, led me to discover epitonic.com, iuma.com and other free download sites, which host a lot of interesting music, mostly by indie artists. It has radically broadened my musical horizons.

capsaicin

Website
www.somethingfoodrelated.net
Really, installing *iTunes* influenced me to get more music. :)

I initially installed it with the hopes of getting an iPod one day, but then I realized just how much music was available to me. I still have to buy cd's of artists that don't set foot on iTunes (i.e. Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins).

And if iTunes has taught me anything, it's MODERATION. Otherwise, my paycheck (or a large percentage of it) would go right to Apple.

SoundChaser

i bought an ipod because i already had a lot of music.. and since im a music junkie i woulda bought more and more cds anyways, so no

Code Monkey

I began about a year ago with iTunes and then later purchased a blue mini iPod in June. Prior to this I had never had a music management program that I particularly cared for or a DAP of any variety. iTunes allowed me to get into listening to lots of music again because the program worked so well for just listening while working at the computer. Once I really got into iTunes & listening to music all the time, I wanted to take it on the go, enter an iPod.

When I started using iTunes, I already had a fairly large music collection, roughly 325 CDs plus some minor amount of P2P/Usenet files. Ripped to digital format, this came to about 3500 files or almost 30 GB. I wasn't listening to much in the way of new music and was really only buying around 2-3 CDs a year, mainly of artists I'd been listening to for years. Once I started using iTunes, and particularly after I got my iPod, my music consumption went through the roof.

I borrowed every CD I could from friends, I went on a SoulSeek rampage, I joined BMG and Amazon's CDNow club, I hit up the large used CD retailers online, I scoured the library systems nearby, I invigorated the Russian economy with my Allofmp3.com purchases, I started listening to audiobooks. My music collection is now around 20,000 files and about 130 GB, so, yeah, I'd say my iTunes/iPod increased my music consumption.

B. W.

Since I got my iPod, I've been wanting to go out and just buy music. It's scaring me..

And it's costing me a few bucks too. :(

boxlunch

Website
www.genexen.com
Hell yes! I've bought more music since purchasing my 20GB. IMO the combo of iTunes+iPod+IMS is the greatest marketing victory ever, for Apple or any other company.

I had NEVER paid for digital music until IMS became available in my country. The ease and low cost of using IMS is an "easy way out" for me, and avoids the issue of legal vs. illegal downloads.

My music collection prior to owning my 'pod = 6 GB
My music colleciton now (1.5 yrs later) = 13 GB

/happily shills out $0.99 for a song.

punk_r0x

Website
www.xanga.com
Getting an ipod made me realize how much freaking music I already have.... trying to import 500+ cds, and I just switched formats for the third time...

GinoLicious

Yes it did, im listening to music i would have never guessed... I just got the whole u2 album of the net, how to dismantel an atomic bomb, i would have never normally done htis. It amazes me. I started ilstening to one song, vertigo, loved it, and now i continue to get more of their music.

iMax

Yeah it definetely influenced me to buy and listen to was more music. Some of the cd's that have been collecting dust in my cd wallet now are the ones i listen to most. Rage Against The Machine is the most listened to band on my iPod by far:D

iPodHawk

Like a few others who have posted here, I started with iTunes as a first step, and later bought my iPod. This has definitely invigorated my purchasing of music, both through iTMS and with CDs.

I started with iTunes in January of 2004, and I've probably bought at least 5 times as much music since then than I had bought in the previous decade.

I know others who are like that, and it's something for the music industry to consider - if you make it easy for people to find the music that speaks to them, they will be willing to buy more of it. Perhaps they should put less effort into chasing pirates and more effort into developing their own online delivery channels - but I'm not holding my breath on that happening.

bdb

On the B side of life
Actually, it was the other way around for me. I got the iPod because I was getting so much music.

iTMS only played a part in that the free music has occasionally interested me in artists I would have otherwise missed. Plus its a convenient way to listen to samples. I dislike iTMS's format (proprietary, low-bitrate, DRM), so I don't buy from them.

marylou

Yes, I got a 40 for Xmas, and it's only a quarter full. I've been all over the place lookihng for music. It's mosty legal, except I imagine the ones from the library...well, that's probably not legal, ahem, but I've been looking a lot for legal free or cheap stuff on the Net, and finding all kinna bands I've never heard of!