Diamond iPod Shuffle Prototype

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

dspiel

Hello Guys,

I wanted to share some pics of a project I've been brainstorming for a few weeks and get your comments/feedbacks/ideas on it. I've seen people with crystals glued on ipods,
I've even seen t-mobile offer a similar service on their sidekick cellphones. Well I thought to myself "why not take it one step further and set diamonds in the plastic".
Setting diamonds in the plastic not only looks nicer in my opinion but it is also stronger than glueing them on. Keep in mind that setting diamonds or any stones for that matter is much more
difficult when you are working with plastic than when working with metal. So my questions to you guys is, would any of you be interested in this product?
Would you be interested this for other versions of the iPod? What kind of designs would you like to see? What would you be willing to pay for this service? Etc..

There is 10 small diamonds in the iPod Shuffle prototype in the following pictures and no I am not offering this item for sale, just interested in your feedback right now.

Hope you guys like the pics,

Dan.

EDIT: Another pic on the 2nd page and more soon.

EDIT: New Pics with Exopod on Page 3. 7/12/05

Last edited:

dspiel

the design i posted is pretty simple and basic but I am able to do something even as extensive as puff daddy's iPod, so there is really no limitation design wise.

Attachments

FeelTheFire

well, rhinestoning is faster and cheaper...you might want to get into that. Additionally, strength depends on what they're glued with- rhinestones attached with gorilla glue have been know to delaminate a plastic-coated surface instead of coming off when removal attempts are made. I know the real diamonds on Diddy's iPod are not actually set into the plastic- they're real diamonds, but they're attached with a jewelers adhesive (I know the owner of the establishment that did the embellishment in passing).

How much would it cost to have this done, say, with the ten diamonds in the shuffle?

Last edited:

kloan

SSMoy
I would never be interested in something like this. The iPod shuffle is something that I can take wherever, and if I lose it.. it'll suck, but I can get another one. Why would I want to spend good money on getting it stuck with a bunch of diamonds?

But, I can say I think it'd look much better if you set the diamonds in the outer button.

Barely29

I just have a simple question. Why?! Most people put a skin on their iPod, which protects it, not adding rhinestones or diamonds. Call me a simpleton, but I am just baffled.:confused:

FeelTheFire

dspiel said:
with jewelers adhesive or set in the plastic?
Diddy's iPod was done with jewelers adhesive.

Losing the brilliance of the diamonds depends on how you apply the adhesive. using slow-set glue usually corrects this problem. The glue I use to rhinestone things like cell phones takes about two days to dry, so I can spread a layer and apply, then remove the excess so that none shows.

JoeBriefcase

Comedian Louis Black said he knew the world was ending when he was in Houston and he stepped out of a Starbucks, looked across the street, and saw... another StarBucks.

For me, the moment came at 5:12 CST, Tuesday, June 28, when I saw the Diamond iPod.

JB

hawkmp4

For me, the moment came at 5:12 CST, Tuesday, June 28, when I saw the Diamond iPod.
I agree. This is pointless. The Shuffle is meant as a *low-budget* item. Setting diamonds in it completely defeats the purpose. Besides, IMHO, it looks pretty bad.

Last edited:

ipodneuB

IMHO I think that this would be a great idea if you could do it on something like an ipod or photo or even a mini... but i think that most people who bought the shuffle bought it for either: its resistence to falls and bumps, or to have something to truck around and not be afraid to lose it...yes it is still 150 but still better that 300 eh? Also I think most shuffle owners would not quite be ready to dump all this money on their shuffle because it is a low cost mobile music and that kinda kills the LOW COST part... I might do it for an ipod or photo (esp. for my girlfriend) if it didnt go over the price of another ipod...But it looks good to me.

dspiel

keep in mind im only using the ipod shuffle to test this idea out...im not actually designing this specifically for the ipod shuffle but for ipods in general to see if its feasible. Also if you dont like my design ideas, I would like to hear your suggestions for what might work.

Last edited:

dspiel

im thinking of adding the apple logo to the front of the ipod with either the whole things in diamonds or just the outline in diamonds, depends on whethere or not the plastic can handle it. here is a quick photoshop.

Attachments

ipodneuB

Yes that would be cool, but in order to give you the fullest review, how much ballpark would this cost on a shuffle and an ipod?