• iLounge and the Discussion Forums are read by people in countries all over the world. The legality of DVD-to-iPod ripping will vary based on your country of residence. iLounge does not in any way endorse violation of the valid rights of copyright holders, and strongly recommends that you consult your country's copyright and fair use laws before copying any video content.

Descriptions added to TV Shows

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Agg2001

Egomaniacal Elitist
Website
www.gmlanddesigner.com
I've searched these forums for about 15 minutes in order to spare you all from having to answer/direct someone else in regards to this matter, but I just can't find what I'm looking for. I have iPodTVshow, and there isn't a place to change the description. It is in the metadata, b/c i can see the -p in the atomic parsley reference, but i can't figure out how to get it. is there another app that works like ipodtvshow, but adds this description tag? thanks for the help.

JP

That software doesn't support that section. I did a Google search and didn't find any way to add or edit the description section for windows.

baggss

Stoopid Ameican Rednek
I find it hard to believe that no one has written an App for Windows to do this yet.

justsomedude

baggss said:
I find it hard to believe that no one has written an App for Windows to do this yet.
Actually, someone has. ;)

AtomicParsley will do it, however many people are uncomfortable with command line applications.

If someone needs a GUI Yamb 2.0 can do it. Make sure to select AtomicParsley as a tagger in the Advanced Settings tab.

:)

Agg2001

Egomaniacal Elitist
Website
www.gmlanddesigner.com
justsomedude said:
Actually, someone has. ;)

AtomicParsley will do it, however many people are uncomfortable with command line applications...
kinda the boat i was in... but simply f-ed with the command line and directions (yes i'm a man, and STILL read the directions) and finally figured out how to add descriptions via the command prompt. the only problem with this, is that atomicparsley truncates your descriptions to 255 bytes... when most of them (pulled from iTunes) are about 600 bytes. oh well... still cheaper to record them at home and do the "legwork" to get them to ACT like iTMS files.

i just wish they'd figure out how to add descriptions without truncating them, b/c i'm fine with adding all the regular info via iPodTVshow and then "command-lining" the description in. eh.

Last edited:

justsomedude

Agg2001 said:
The only problem with this, is that atomicparsley truncates your descriptions to 255 bytes... when most of them (pulled from iTunes) are about 600 bytes.
I think parts of the description as well as the "i" button you can click on to get the popup window are actually not part of the metadata, but are somehow stored in iTunes database.

If you delete a Show you got from the iTS from your library and then add it again, you'll notice vast parts of the description as well as the little "i" button are gone.

Dim

Website
www.lemires.com
justsomedude said:
I think parts of the description as well as the "i" button you can click on to get the popup window are actually not part of the metadata, but are somehow stored in iTunes database.

If you delete a Show you got from the iTS from your library and then add it again, you'll notice vast parts of the description as well as the little "i" button are gone.
You're correct. There's actually 2 description fields, a short one and a long one. The short one is in the metadata tags. The long one is stored elsewhere and retrieved via the 'i' link. The tools we have (like Lostify) only modify the short desc, hence we don't end up with an 'i' link on self tagged description field.

Dim

Website
www.lemires.com
Agg2001 said:
well... someone needs to get on that. :) chop chop!
Actually, lostify will address this next version. Unfortunately, this is Mac only software. Here's a quote from his site explaining the description field and 'i' button:
When you purchase a video from the iTunes store, iTunes basically sets a flag in its internal database — When it sees this flag, it knows to put an “i” (info) button next to that file’s description. When the magic flag is not set… then no “i” button appears for that file. The presence of this button is determined internally to iTunes: in fact, if you remove a file that has this “i” button from your iTunes library, and then add the very same file to your library again, iTunes won’t give you the button back.
UPDATE: starting in iTunes 7, there is now a way to address this issue via Applescript. Basically iTunes now lets you tell it (via Applescript) to show or hide the button on a track-by-track basis. The next version of Lostify (0.6) will include some sort of iTunes integration which, among other things, will finally allow this button to be displayed.

justsomedude

Agg2001 said:
well... someone needs to get on that. :) chop chop!
In case anybody is still interested in this, the program LongDescription can be used to add descriptions to TV Shows (> 255 char, including the "i" button). You can get it on the TvTagger Homepage.

Also, there's an iTunes bug which can be exploited to get the popup window:

If the cast tag is used, iTunes shows the "i" button. And the best thing is, you can delete/add your TV Shows as many times as you want, it will stay there. The cast tag can be added via TvTagger, see the link above.

However, if you use this method, the 255 character limit will apply.

Agg2001

Egomaniacal Elitist
Website
www.gmlanddesigner.com
justsomedude said:
...the program LongDescription can be used to add descriptions to TV Shows (> 255 char, including the "i" button). You can get it on the TvTagger Homepage.
oh man!!! that is money! good find! thanks for the "point in the right direction". this is EXACTLY what i've been looking for. now the bad part is, is that i'm going to have to go through my entire seasons of "the office" and add these descriptions. oh well... it'll be worth it.

THANKS AGAIN.

ptha

justsomedude said:
In case anybody is still interested in this, the program LongDescription can be used to add descriptions to TV Shows (> 255 char, including the "i" button). You can get it on the TvTagger Homepage.

Also, there's an iTunes bug which can be exploited to get the popup window:

If the cast tag is used, iTunes shows the "i" button. And the best thing is, you can delete/add your TV Shows as many times as you want, it will stay there. The cast tag can be added via TvTagger, see the link above.

However, if you use this method, the 255 character limit will apply.
The LongDescription program does not seem to be available anymore on the site in the post above, does anyone have it/or know where it could be obtained?

If not, are there any other Windows applications that allow editing of the "Long Description" field which will enable the "i" button in iTunes.
Thanks.

load97

Iv'e also got it, but can't figure out how to use it unfortunately. Just a small window opens up when I click on the program. I can then hit either load or save. Doesn't really give a way to open up a file even.

Agg2001

Egomaniacal Elitist
Website
www.gmlanddesigner.com
you need itunes open, with whatever episode/movie you want to add a description to highlighted (inside itunes). then type into the little box and hit save. it will then add an "i" to your show. easy as that. good luck!