Deleting Podcasts

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

gmccoy

I have V5 of iTunes loaded, so I don't know if this was a problem with the earlier version.

I can subscribe to podcasts and sync them to my iPod without problems. The problem I have is deleting them from the iPod and leaving the podcasts on my laptop computer. Usually I can use the checkbox beside the title to determine whether the song is on the iPod but the checkbox doesn't seem to have any effect on podcasts. I find that I need to delete them forever before they will be deleted from my iPod. Anyone else having this problem?

In other words, the checkbox doesn't seem to have any effect on podcasts but still works on songs.

Gary

On my iPod the podcast that are unchecked are not on it and I have saved podcast and ones that I don't keep. Most of my saved podcasts are not checked.

Try resetting the iPod and then try it. If it doesn't work then maybe you need to consider doing a restore. This will erase the iPod contents and set it back to factory settings so back up your library.

Also double check the podcast settings while the ipod is connected.

Last edited:

gmccoy

I found a solution to the problem I was having with iTunes not recognizing the checkbox used to determine if a podcast is to be copied to your iPod. I didn’t look deeply enough into the Podcasts tab under Preferences. If you select the Podcasts tab then click on the iPod Preferences button, there is a selection called “Update:” and there you can pick “Only Checked episodes”.

I didn’t look for a second checkbox selection option for podcasts because under the iPod/Music tab I had already checked “Only update checked songs”. Perhaps for the next release I guess it is a good idea to have two different options for music v. podcasts but I’m not sure I would ever set these differently. Perhaps Apple will combine them into one for the next release.

Gary

Unwinking Orb

You are a genius! I couldn't work out how to delete unwanted Podcasts from my Pod, but the above works.

Cheers!

BillClinton

Former First Lounger
As it stands, there is little functionality in the podcast menu/preferences. You can chose to update(to iPod) unplayed, or unchecked podcasts; why not both?

I think they should improve the versatility of the podcasts, or I'm going to switch to smartplaylists for all of my podcasts. I want the ability to update (to iPod) based on a variety of multiple factors, and do this based on each individual podcast. For example, I only want to listen to the most recent NPR news summary, but maybe someone else may want to make sure they don't miss anything and they may select to listen to the past few days, as long as they have not been heard/played already. Another podcast, The Seanachai (excellent stories that I'd highly recommend), I may want to keep all of the stories, or just use the check box to decide which ones to keep.

It is somewhat nice to have a since heading in iTunes in which to find podcasts; I simply find it frustrating to have very limited functionality.