Deleting Podcasts from my iPod

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Rockyroad

melsmusic said:
How do you delete them manually from your ipod?
On the iPod, I Click on the Genre called "Podcast" using the iTunes interface (NB: Not the Podcast playlist) and then you can see all your Podcasts, including all those that are hidden in the Podcast playlist.

Rockyroad

styles said:
I'm having the same prob as you bro, w/ my 3G ipod. Just noticed this today, as I was trying to figure out how to get my ipod synched w/ my podcasts in itunes.

Everything works in terms of the playlists. When I update my podcasts, it deletes the ones that have been listened to in itunes, and it will also delete the podcast from the smart playlist created on my ipod. But, if when I do a search of the files on my ipod, the podcasts that were deleted from the playlist, are still on my ipod!
Yeah, its a bit annoying. I think alot of people are seeing the Podcasts disappear from the main Podcast playlist and are assuming that they are no longer on the iPod, when it is slowly filling up with hidden Podcasts.

melsmusic

See my podcasts DO NOT go into my library unless I manually put them into another playlist or library in itunes.

If I just leave the podcasts in the apple's new podcasts playlist they only display in there.

However upon checking my ipod they do come up in "artists" "songs" etc so potentially if you are playing on shuffle using your full library - a podcast could play.

I usually only play my smart playlists which would never include any info that would add podcasts .. apart from recently added .. which I have just edited so it will exclude them.

The ones I do delete in itunes though do not show up in my ipod.

I just checked as I subscribed to a podcast .. didn't like it .. deleted it and connected and it doesn't show up in my itunes or ipod.

Also subscribed podcasts but deleted stories are also gone.

It must be a 3G thing.

Last edited:

tcristy

Yup, must be a 3G thing. On my 4G, Music->Genres->Podcast is completely empty. Podcasts only appear in the new Podcast menu on the iPod. I have the Keep podcast setting in iTunes on Unplayed Episodes. Each time I synch, any podcast that has been played is deleted from both the iPod and iTunes as it should be.

naumanp

I had the same problem with my 3G. I tried various options (same ones that people mentioned in this thread) to clean up the extra files, but then remembered that iPodder worked perfectly and so I unsubscribed from all podcasts in iTunes and went back to iPodder. It's funny, because after using iTunes for podcasts for a week, when I went back to iPodder I kept saying to myself "this is nice!"

timd

Rockyroad said:
3G it must be then
Don't think so - it works just fine on my 3G. Podcasts are being deleted from the iPod correctly...

:)

JasonMa

Just checked my 15GB 3G and only the Podcasts I have not deleted show up in both Playlists -> Podcasts and in Browse -> Genres -> Podcasts, as I would expect. I delete my podcasts entirely through iTunes once I have listened to them.

toddjb

Just to chime in, as echo'd in another post of mine, my podcasts do not get deleted either. 20G 3G ipod. Tried all the settings noted. No dice.

That manual deletion option is a PAIN IN THE *SS! With so many subscriptions. This is the same problem I had before iTunes added podcasts (which i asked about and we all hoped Apple would fix it right!)

Next release, i guess... :)

MattPackwood

As stated before, this needs to be fixed, great service apart from the old files filling up my system.

timd

MattPackwood said:
Can you send me your settings / configuration?
Sorry for delay, I don't check back in here very often...

Podcast settings:
Check for new episodes: Every Day
When new episodes are avaiable: Download all
Keep: All episodes

iPod settings:
Automatically update all Podcasts Yes
Update: Only unplayed episodes

When I plug the iPod into PC it updates automatically. The list in iTunes then updates with what has/hasn't been read.
A second update (now iTunes knows what has happened) will result in the read podcasts being removed from the iPod.

HTH. :)

BillClinton

Former First Lounger
I've been using the same settings as timd and haven't had any problems. Make sure you click on the iPod settings submenu that's available in the Podcast settings, which is under the preferences menu - sounds complicated when written down, but it makes sense once you find it.

MarkDuffy

iPhone management

I use a pc. I have an iPhone recently given to me. I can see it iS Mac orientated. I would willing exchange my iPhone for an android. It is so clunky and difficult to use. It is so music orientated. Why is it not just a matter of right click and remove the item - song, individual podcast, podcast group or whatever. And why is it not possible to easily download flash. Or Microsoft programs. I was astounded that I could not view a powerpoint which was attached to an email./ This is the biggest market. This is the same reason they lost out years ago. Steve jobs wants total control of what you have on your machine. I read a comparison recently saying how could a car manufacturer insist that you only serviced at their authorised garages.

Solution to all this is an android based smart phone. Not cheaper just far better. I would beg Apple to loosen up before they are down the drain again.