Deleting Podcast

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

pursuant

So after posting this a month ago, I've seen there is no way to manually delete podcast in Itunes 11.4.0. In fact I have found many people frustrated with the new version and wanting to revert to 10.7. My question is just how are podcast supposed to get deleted in 11.4?? There must be a way to get rid of old ones. I thought that if they were marked played that got rid of them, but no. Anyone have any suggestions or where I could get infor on this process?

cjmnews

Staff member
You can always right click a podcast episode and choose Delete to get rid of it immediately. That has always been there and remains.

Then you can set the played episodes to delete automatically by clicking the Default Settings button and setting Delete Played Episodes to On, and all your played podcasts will be deleted about 24 hours after you play them.

If you have one that you want to save and delete the rest, you can right click the podcast and choose Podcast settings (or click the gear symbol in the selected Podcast) and turn the Delete Played Episodes on or off depending on your needs.

If there are "many people" frustrated by this, they have not tried the usual right click to see available commands for iTunes, which surprises me.

pursuant

deleting podcast

Thanks for your reply
No I cannot delete podcast just by right clicking. That stopped working when I upgraded to the latest Itunes 11.4. I also tried using the auto delete function you mentioned and that does not work either. Other than this I am ok with this version, but this has been a problem since day 1. I suppose I should reinstall it and see if that affects it. Any other suggestions?

Again thanks

cjmnews

Staff member
I would try a reinstall. Your library should be safe with an uninstall reinstall. But you have a backup just in case.

pursuant

deleting podcast

I did a reinstall and that did not fix the problem. I still can't right click on individual podcasts and delete them even though it does show up on my drop down menu and I can't auto delete them after they have been played. What do you think about reverting to an older version, like10.7 when all of those things worked?

cjmnews

Staff member
Are you trying to delete podcasts with the cloud next to them?

Those you can't delete but you can hide them. Let me know.

pursuant

deleting podcast

Thanks
I am not sure what you mean by a "cloud next to them". I do not have any cloud storage that I am aware of, never signed up for it, so everything should reside on my hard drive.
I do see that "episodes will be deleted 24 hours after played". That might explain why I don't see the episode vanish. Still there is no way to delete them manually and thats frustrating. So if I marked an episode as played I have to wait 24 hours before it disappears from my software(hard drive), then I have to synch it so it will disappear from my Ipod ? I am not sure this works either. I have marked several as played and they still seem to be there. I'll try this again and see if I get the desired results. I am still contemplating going back to 10.7 as an alternative, what do you think?

cjmnews

Staff member
If you have the Podcasts set to show Feed, then episodes that are not on your computer will show up, and these should have a cloud with an arrow pointing down on them.

These you can't delete. You can hide them by changing your podcast view to Unplayed in the upper right hand corner.

cjmnews

Staff member
As for going back to 10.7, you may not be able to if you upgraded your devices to IOS 8.

If you only have an iPod, then you should be able to go back, but you may have problems in your library as all changes that you made since the upgrade will not be reflected in the old library.

You will have to bring back a library from the Previous Libraries folder, if you know when you upgraded. Or a backup if you did that as well.

pursuant

pocast

ok now I feel like an idiot. Changing the feed allowed me to delete episodes. I am still not clear why these podcasts that were on my pc could not be deleted. None the less, thanks so much for your help. One other question, how are you suppose to know this? Is there an operating manual somewhere that would explain this?

cjmnews

Staff member
No there is no manual. There are many sites out there that explain the changes, or you can post here and we'll try to answer the best we can.

I figure it out by trial and error.