Default earbuds - OUCH! Do they all hurt?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Keera

I've just bought an iPod, and I LOVE it! However, the earbuds that came with it hurt my ears. My ears are quite small, and I think that must have something to do with it. When I put them in I immediately feel an uncomfortable pressure. This gets worse as I wear them for more than a half hour, or when I have to take them in and out frequently to speak to people. After just a few days, my ears are sore!

So, I am looking for some inexpensive replacement headphones, which are portable (can be stuck in my pocket) and will allow me to hear people speaking to me yet provide enough isolation so that I can listen to my iPod on the bus. From searching the forums, it seems like the Sony 51's might be a good choice for earbuds, or Sennheiser PX 100's if I go for one with a headband.

Before I choose, I need to know if the Sony's would be wearable, or if I should just avoid earbuds completely. Has anyone else had this problem with the default iPod earbuds? I would love to hear from you!

Many Thanks.

uber tax payer

The Uber Tax Payer
The stock ear buds are not for everyone. After half an hour, my ears begin to hurt. Other people find them incredibly comfortable. One size definitely does not fit all. I agree with the user above. The sony 51s and 71s are good choices. I personally am waiting for the 71s to come out in white, since I don't feel like ordering it online.

RNELSON

Ultimate Member
i have the stock buds and shure e3c's. i find that when i wear the stock buds and i put the L one in my right ear and my R one in my left ear they are more comfy. i also put them in loosely and dont mind them. i have e3cs which are earbuds and those can be uncomfortable because i have small ears, and they are expensive and i would not recomend them.

moofie74

Website
moofie.lastcoolnameleft.com
I had the same problem. I replaced the stock cans with the Apple In-Ears, and I absolutely love them. I'm a big guy, but I use the smallest ear "cushion", and they feel great.

One issue with these (or any other canal phone)...you really hear yourself breathing a lot more than with open-ear designs. Plug your ears tightly with your fingers and you'll see what I mean. Having said that, the Apples sound great, and are very comfortable.

aznmask

i just Spend $30 on a iPod Remote.. on Ebay.. now should i buy those In-Ear Headphones for $39? or czu the default one with ipod is hurting my ear..

please help me find a good one that under $50.. i heard ppl said Sony 51s, Sony 71s.

Last edited:

Piranhahaha

I like the in-ears. My left bud just conked out, so I got a pair of Sony 71's to replace them, and was not overwhelmed.

I've gotten Apple to replace the in-ears, and am waiting for them to arrive so I can test them side-by-side with the 71's.

In short, you can't go wrong with the in-ears, particularly if you've got a good deal on shipping.

Meanwhile, has anyone tried the Jabara ear gels or the Griffin earbuds that clip onto the stock Apple buds? Both allow you to stick the stock buds into your ear like the 71's -- I'm wondering if either do a decent job.

aznmask

The apple in-ear headphone cost $39.. and i can't find any bargain place.. While i found some deal on Sony 71s under $30 but in black color!!!

one question does have a ipod remote control make any sound quality better?

SejalPatelMU

I just bought the Jabra ear gels (EarGels) from Radio Shack. They work pretty good. I would say the sound is just a bit muddled on some songs that I have but not all of them. Not bad for $7.

I would get them from RadioShack ($7.69) b/c the ones at Best Buy ($6.99) are colored. The ones at Radio Shack are clear.

I would say the comfort level has increased 100 fold. Without the ear gels my ears started to hurt after 10-15 minute. I am now going on 3 hours without any problems.

I have also noted an better bass respsonse as well.

I hope that helps.

afalconsvick

Atlanta Falcons!
Website
tonyjalbanese.com
The stock earbuds hurt my ears after using them for about one hour. Then I finally got fed up with them hurting and I just went and got some sony's which are way more comfortable.

rachwah

rach*
I find the stock ear buds way comfy, sure the sound isn't great but I hate being able to hear myself breathe in in-ear phones.

I like the stock buds actually, pity the cord keeps pulling out so I have to superglue them! :p

I like that style, the ones that sit outside your ear, and I see there are some Sony ones like that, cept they have a small piece which goes inside your ear more...I like that style, I have an old pair and they work brilliantly! Pity they are black...