Dark Blot on Screen: Is There Moisture in my iPod Touch?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

warrenpage

Hello, everyone. I have a weird problem with my iPod Touch, which I believe is 5th generation. It's a few years old.

It has worked perfectly for years, but the other night, something weird happened, I could turn it on, but the screen wouldn't respond to my touch at all…much like my ex-wife. I could not get anything on screen to work.

I did some research on Google, and did a forced reset. It did not work. I tried updating software via iTunes, and that didn't help. Nothing seemed to work.

Then, I noticed something. A dark blot, like a Rorschach ink blot, was on the screen. It wasn't on it, it appeared underneath. My first gut reaction was that it was some water or moisture, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how moisture would get into the unit. Furthermore, I couldn't figure out how or why moisture would get in it now, after all these years of working fine.

What's weirder is this…the blot has shrunk a bit each day for the past few days. I'm wondering if whatever that blot is, it's evaporating.

The good news is I can use the iPod a bit more now, as opposed to a few days ago. There are still some features I cannot use, because they reside under the remaining blot. But it does seem to be shrinking. It is definitely a lot smaller than it was a few days ago.

I was just curious…has anyone else experienced anything like this? If so, what ultimately happened? Is there any way at all to determine what this blot is? Is it possible it's moisture, and that it's evaporating inside the unit? If it's moisture, how the heck did it get in there, when it's never happened before?

Is there a way to accelerate the shrinkage of this blot, without damaging the unit?
Thank you, everyone.

MoonlitShadow

I've had something similar happen and it wasn't moisture. The "blot" was actually my screen protector moving around and effecting the iPod screen's response to my touch. Do you have a screen protector on it? If you do, remove it, clean the screen, and replace it with a new one.

Even if you don't have a screen protector on it, I would still clean the screen with a microfiber cloth. Sometimes a "blot" and intermittent touch response can be caused by the smallest piece of dust or debris that we may not see.

Last edited:

warrenpage

Thank you for replying.

No, I do not have a screen protector, and yes, I have cleaned the screen with a special cloth.

The "blot" has mysteriously shrunk in size enough for me to resume using the iPod. There is still a "blot" in the middle of the screen, but it is far, far smaller than it was, and it no longer prevents me from using the device.

I really don't know what this blot is. Perhaps dust, perhaps moisture, perhaps something else. Very odd. This is the first time this has ever happened, and I've had the device for several years.

MoonlitShadow

Wow, that is pretty strange. I've had a few iPod touches and this hasn't happened to any of them so it shouldn't have anything to do with how long you've had it.

It does sound like something did get trapped in the screen. I can't see how that would've happened unless there was defect in the screen itself. I'm glad the "blot" has decreased enough to let you use the iPod and hope it eventually disappears completely.

Thank you for replying.

No, I do not have a screen protector, and yes, I have cleaned the screen with a special cloth.

The "blot" has mysteriously shrunk in size enough for me to resume using the iPod. There is still a "blot" in the middle of the screen, but it is far, far smaller than it was, and it no longer prevents me from using the device.

I really don't know what this blot is. Perhaps dust, perhaps moisture, perhaps something else. Very odd. This is the first time this has ever happened, and I've had the device for several years.