Current, affordable, sexy, BlueTooth Dongle Options?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

gedansky

A friend gave me his Moto S9 when he bought another set of BT headphones. He told me to get a BT dongle and recommended the Motorola because it charges off of the iPod. But...

...the size...The Motorola dongle is as big (almost?) as a Nano Video. USB BlueTooth and WiFi dongles for laptops run as small a cell phone stub antenna, and WiFi SD cards leave an antenna the size of a mini-sd sticking out of your PD, so why do the iPod BlueTooth dongles all seem to be so large?

...the interface...Other than the Moto, which connects to the main connector or the bottom, all I've seen are ones that are little boxes (bigger than the Moto) with a short cable and headphone adaptor plug that hang by the wire off the iPod. Not very sexy, convenient or safe for the unit.

...the design...None of them are sexy. All are little boxes that look like they are stuck on the bottom of or (litterally) hang of the top of the iPod. Case in point, back in the Dinosaur age, when 3COM was still making Palm, and the Palm V/Vx was the sexiest PDA ever, 3rd party companies were making cellular modem and ethernet sleds for them. Sure, they were large, but, at least they made them to look like part of the device when they were in place and you could easilly care the modular solution in your pocket.

...the price...not to appear cheap, but technology is supposed to get cheaper, not more expensive. You can get a BlueTooth or WiFi dongle for a laptop or desktop for under $30 that, as mentioned above, is smaller than a thumb drive. Some of the truely best performing BT cell phone earpieces (i.e., Cardo Scala 500 and others) go for $20 - $40. So, why are simple, light weight, BT headphones for the iPod $69 and up, and the BT dongles easilly the same amount or more (Radio Shack sells the Motorola dongle for $79)? We're not paying a premium for the smaller size. Much of it isn't smaller, and other small BT tech (cell phone earpieces again) have been small AND cheap for years. So, what gives? Current technology pricing for other products indicates you should be able to buy a decent quality, reliable BT headset AND dongle for about $30-$50 total give or take a few $.

So, now that I've raged against the machine... where are the reliable, small, sexy, inexpensive Blue Tooth dongles that don't increase the size or weight of your iPod and look like an integrated part of the unit?

Barring that, what IS actually out there? Should I just leave my inherited Moto S9 in the box until a better, cheaper dongle shows, or Apple releases a must-have iPOD with integrated BT?

Thanks!

dvAshawn

I have the Sony BT dongle. It's super small compared to the rest I've seen. They aren't the cheapest, around $55-$70. I bought mine in a bundle with the headphones for $130.