Critics say iTunes-only downloads and inflexible pricing are hurting song sales

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

justblaize

"You have this device consumers love, but they're being restricted from buying anything other than downloads from Apple. People are bored with that."

Riiiiight. Im happy with my iPod, and I love the iTunes store, everything I want/need is in there, including videos. Ive got no reason to go to any other service. My money is going to the iTunes store.

zapod

Gadgeteer
This is a thorny issue that raises it's head from time to time. I agree with justblaize about iTMS - I rarely buy actual CDs and prefer to browse'n'buy stuff that takes my fancy from my armchair; something I could never do in a record store.

I'm surprised the record industry hasn't reported an increase in music sales because iTMS and iPod are so popular. Perhaps piracy is outpacing the takeup of online music sales?

JMG

asdf
"You have this device consumers love, but they're being restricted from buying anything other than downloads from Apple. People are bored with that."

thats total bull$#it because I've only bought a few songs and videos from the itunes store. Are they forgetting about CDs?

anypats

iTunes is the main reason that people started to download legally again. I have purchased more CD's over the past year that I have had my iPod than I had in a long time. I purchased more Mountain Dew in a long time while Pepsi ran their iTunes promo last year and I actually purchased my first full CD two days ago. I have typically liked to have the actual CD, the liner notes, etc. but the cheapest I found the CD for was $14.99 so I saved the $5 and purchased it on iTunes for $9.99. I have to say that iTMS knows exactly what they are doing. Drive the competition nuts and get more people in their store.