Creating Playlist by Artist

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Doug183

I have a large library, 30,000 plus songs, 145 gigs. I am trying to automate the creation of playlists by Artists. The Apple script (from Apple I think) "Make playlist by Artist" gives me an Applescript of error 'Times Out" while doing these lines:

tell source "Library"
tell playlist "Library"
set the master_list to the artist of every track

Anybody else have this problem and figure out how to fix it?

Question #2. This script seems to make normal playlists. Can I edit the script so it makea the Playlists Smart with "Live Updating?"

One note: At 30,000 songs, i-tunes is not yet slowing down. I have 512mb of RAM in a dual 800mhz Quicksilver running running 10.2.3. I also ran this same library on my Lombard powerbook running 10.2.3 with no slowdown. Just soem more info.

Thanks
Doug

deeg

its not possible to currently create smart playlists via applescript which is a pain...

theres a couple of methods to overcome the timeout issue...

1. you can add a timeout value to your code...

with timeout of 600 seconds -- (thats 10 minutes.. adjust as required)
<your code>
end timeout

2. use a reference to your library rather than creating a list.. this is a better option because even if you over come the timeout problem a list of 30000 items is going to cause a "stack overflow" error.. its just too big for applescript.. i get them with my library of circe 7600 songs.. by creating a refernce to the library you dont make the list but you can still access all the info on the songs.. have a look at http://www.malcolmadams.com/itunes/itinfo/selection01.shtml on doug's itunes scrpting site for more info...

thenightfly42

Doug183 said:
I have a large library, 30,000 plus songs, 145 gigs. I am trying to automate the creation of playlists by Artists.
Is there a reason why you don't just use Browse by Artist? It's already done, assuming your tags are good.