Cracked lcd

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

handletom

jhollington said:
Well, to be fair, I don't think anybody's suggesting that the Nano isn't designed to be put in your pockets at all, but rather that like any expensive item, care should be taken.

I carry my full-size iPod in my pocket sometimes without a case or anything else on it, but I would never put it in a tight jeans pocket, or a back pocket, or any other area like that which might subject it to stress or pressure. I'm also careful to put it in a pocket that doesn't have other items in it such as keys, pocket knives, or anything else that might rattle around with it.

I agree that it's ridiculous to say that the Nano is not designed to be put in your pocket, but some common sense should still apply... If you're wearing jeans that are so tight you can tell which way the change in your pocket is facing, then perhaps that's not the best place for a $250 electronic device.

Note that I'm not suggesting that anybody here with a broken screen necessarily did this... Product and manufacturing flaws do occur, and in fact I've seen LCD screens crack under conditions that had nothing to do with stress or impact (many other factors such as temperature and humidity can apply here). However, at this point I'm suspecting a manufacturing defect in a single batch, or at a single facility, rather than an inherent design flaw.
If you are not saying that anyone here "If you're wearing jeans that are so tight you can tell which way the change in your pocket is facing" then why bring it up?

There is no common sense telling me not to place it in my pocket.

Apple's inital Press Release ( www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/sep/07ipodnano.html ) says:
----
iPod nano features Apple’s innovative Click Wheel for precise, one-handed navigation, and its ultra-portable design fits into even the smallest pocket making it easy to take iPod nano to the gym, in the car, traveling, commuting or anywhere you go.
----

It's even on the product detail page at The Apple Store (store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/StoreReentry.wo?family=iPodx)
----
An iPod of historic dimensions
When it comes to iPod nano, you need to reconsider your definition of “small.” Slip it in your pocket — it weighs less than a handful of change. Or wear it around your neck and forget it’s there. Want to take it for a jog? No problem. Your music will never skip.
----
Apple is ADVERTISING the Nano as a product that you can put into your smallest pocket.

And as stated elsehwere in this thread *my* LCD broke while I was wearing Dockers made for the fat middle age white man. Those have HUGE pockets, because I have a huge butt.

May I suggest a thread called "Stuff not to do with you iPods" and putting that jeans thing there?

Website
www.ilounge.com
Please, despite the way this thread has gone previously, there's no need to get defensive. This was my first post in this thread, and I was just trying to add a moderate point of view to the discussion.

I'm definitely not suggesting anybody's been careless, and my comments were not directed at your situation specifically. If anything, I was responding to the discussion that it wasn't designed to be carried in your pocket. I don't think anybody's saying that. Of course it's intended to be carried in a pocket, but there's reality and common sense and then there's marketing-spin.

Common-sense doesn't say not to place it in your pocket at all, but common sense would suggest that placing it in a pocket where it's going to be put under stress or impact is going to increase the chance of damage. Letting it rattle around inside a large pocket with a big wad of keys and a pocket knife while you're running down the street would be a bad idea.

Advertising doesn't usually convey real-world use, and all I'm suggesting is that people should use some common sense and not use advertising as a justification for abusing a product.

Again, please understand I was not directing my comments at you or anybody with a broken iPod. I was simply making a statement on the realities of daily use.

handletom

jhollington said:
Please, despite the way this thread has gone previously, there's no need to get defensive. This was my first post in this thread, and I was just trying to add a moderate point of view to the discussion.

I'm definitely not suggesting anybody's been careless, and my comments were not directed at your situation specifically. If anything, I was responding to the discussion that it wasn't designed to be carried in your pocket. I don't think anybody's saying that. Of course it's intended to be carried in a pocket, but there's reality and common sense and then there's marketing-spin.

Common-sense doesn't say not to place it in your pocket at all, but common sense would suggest that placing it in a pocket where it's going to be put under stress or impact is going to increase the chance of damage. Letting it rattle around inside a large pocket with a big wad of keys and a pocket knife while you're running down the street would be a bad idea.

Advertising doesn't usually convey real-world use, and all I'm suggesting is that people should use some common sense and not use advertising as a justification for abusing a product.

Again, please understand I was not directing my comments at you or anybody with a broken iPod. I was simply making a statement on the realities of daily use.
Nothing personal. Honest.

This thread is supposed to be about people who did not abuse their iPod Nanos that now have cracked screens.

You and others have felt the need to interject what is and what is not "common sense" use instead of what this thread is about.

Check the thread-- no one here was carrying a Buck Knife, three Zippo lighters and 12 Troy ounces of gold shaped like a hammer in a pocket and training their show dogs on how to run the obstacle course while wearing a Nano in a pair of black and blue Speedos. No one here has said "As I was doing leg flexes my Nano broke." No one gave the Nano to an infant as a rattle.

As for "marketing spin" about pocket use, let me again point out that is not only in press releases and web pages, it is also in the user manual.

Please please please start a thread about recommended use. This thread is about Nanos with cracked screens that have been placed in pockets (or not) and not subjected to any undue outside force, accidental or deliberate abuse or anything else that would COMMON SENSE-icly cause damage.

GEEZ UM AGATHA CHRISTIE.

Defensive, non-pensive, and offensive
-Tom

Last edited:

mike12345

Some BADLY needed context

A quick note and some useful context.

First, for those whose screens are broken (either by accidents or from a mfg defect), check to see if your credit card covers accidental damage in the first 90 days. I know that both Platinum MasterCard and AmEx cards do.

Second, the exact same screen "problems" have been documented with previous iPods. For example:

forums.ipodlounge.com/showthread.php?threadid=46452&highlight=ipod+cracked+LCD

They've also been documented with popular digital cameras, cell phones, and PDAs. In fact, they have basically been documented with every device that fits the following three conditions:

(1) It is compact.
(2) It has an LCD screen.
(3) It has a lot of market share (so tons of units are in circulation, increasing the probability that at least a few have defects).

Given that the iPod Nano is almost surely the fastest selling MP3 player in the history of the world, it is no surprise that several of these incidents have already occurred within a few weeks of release. LCD screens are inherently fragile - some will break under "normal" use. When you ship tens of thousands of units, a few will even have defects.

That being said, if it does turn out to be a widespread flaw (which I doubt, but you never know), you should be glad that you have an iPod. In that case, Apple will have little choice but to address it because of the bad press. For instance, consider the battery life "problem" with the original iPods. This is clearly a problem with *any* portable device that uses a non-replacable Li-Ion battery. Anyone who has owned a modern cell phone or laptop knows that the average Li-Ion battery will not last more than two or three years without serious degradation. And sure enough, not only do iPod batteries fail, but so do batteries in dozens of other competing MP3 players that also shipped with non-replacable batteries (e.g., Dell Digital Jukebox, Creative Zen Touch, etc. etc.). But there has been *no* settlement to provide relief to buyers of those players. Why? Because there is no press coverage of it - nobody cares because barely anyone buys those players anyway.

All companies - Apple, Creative, Sony, Dell, etc - have a common goal: to make profits. All companies ship products with defects, and they all try to cover it up. In the MP3 player market, the difference between Apple and the others is that Apple cannot afford to ignore a widespread iPod problem indefinitely, because there is simply too much public coverage of the iPod. The others can ignore systematic defects with their products, however, because nobody cares about their products anyway (at least, not currently).

jaysee

Mike... you make it sound like all we have to do is write to apple and explain it's a problem. You do remember the court case which went for some years about the battery issue, don't you? It's only just being settled now.

Bad press has nothing to do with it. It's about litigation. No one wants to go down that road, however.

No one is ``lucky'' to be buying with Apple because they fixed similar things in the past - at the moment it looks like the only way that anyone can get their player fixed is through hours of hounding apple employees. This is not a lucky situation.

If it is a flaw then apple should be respoding better than this.

handletom

I haven't been able to see more then 10-15 cases on the Net of this happening so far.

Maybe I just got unlucky. Only time will tell.

But right now, this minute, I don't have a working Nano and someone else has my money.

I do hope its just isolated cases. Apple Customer Relations is doing pretty well by me right now.

jaysee

Hopefully this will be one case where the hype is more than the actualy problem.

I'm not an iPod person but I'd really like to buy one - the form factor etc. is pretty good. But I will not if they have an issue with the screen.

Glad that you're getting good treatment, Tom. All too often big companies (not just apple) blow off customers.

SupraSkylineSTI

Website
www.xanga.com
lol, so let me get this straight... You buy a black Nano, its ganna get scratched up badly in the back, you get a white one, the whole screen is destroyed. I guess I'll go with the scratches..

mitchjordan

So are we 100% sure the problem is isolated with the white nano's? Well, we cant be 100% sure about anything currently, but has anyone heard of it effecting a black nano?

handletom

SupraSkylineSTI said:
lol, so let me get this straight... You buy a black Nano, its ganna get scratched up badly in the back, you get a white one, the whole screen is destroyed. I guess I'll go with the scratches..
No, I didn't buy a black Nano, I only bought a single White 4GB Nano.

It gets shipped back to Apple today.

It's now not working at all, I tried to power on this morning when I was packing it up. And the screen looks a lot worse.

teh-cut

Theres a few more cases on the other boards. Next few weeks we'll see if its just a few defects or widespread.

Bob

Retired
Website
forums.ilounge.com
Keep on topic

I have removed posts from this thread which I feel are diluting the discussion. If you think I have removed your post/s and they were essential to the matter in hand I will consider placing them back, if I feel they add to the discussion.

Please only use this thread to report faults or any follow up action - do not use it to flame members who have experienced LCD problems or to post a rant on why nanos should be or shouldn't be carried in a pocket. Such posts will be removed.

Thanks.

The removed posts can be found here.

Last edited:

matty1979

Website
www.matthewdotcom.com
Just a quick note, I just got off the phone with Apple. They have decided to make a one time warranty exception for me and are replacing my Nano. No comment on my website (www.flawedmusicplayer.com) or other people with the problem. My website will remain open and I will still be collecting data from people experiencing problems. I'll post more details to my site later tonight.

Q: Has anyone that has reported seeing other posts about this problem sent the links to Apple via Email or the feedback form or letter?

I haven't read through this thread but if this is happening and others are posting about it at other sites then I think someone should gather up the links to these posts and make sure Apple is aware of them. Showing that others are experiencing this problem will be a help to providing proof to Apple that this is a wide spread problem.

matty1979

Website
www.matthewdotcom.com
Honeybee: I emailed Apple my site and links to others with this problem. They have no comment on the situation and only work on a case by case basis.

Also the Best Buy thing won't necessarily work. Someone emailed me and said they had the BB protection plan and BB told them it wasn;t covered.

handletom

Looks like iPodResQ raises the price on the repair stating:
http://www.ipodresq.com/detail.php?prodID=P010555
-----
We are experieincing a temporary price increase on the nano LCD repair due to LCD availability and overwhelming demand. Please stay tuned for future price decreases.
-------

Overwhelming demand does not sound good.

zie

I would like to start with saying that I havn't got my Nano yet. Still I have a theory. The Nano is too thin for the strength of the case (it bends). All the images have the LCD cracked vertically with should imply that pressure has been implied as drawn here (I know my MSpaint skills sucks).

x2.putfile.com/9/26715362053.gif

We will just have to see how many is affected by this problem. If it gets more spread I have to agree that it is a design flaw. You should be able to carry you Ipod around in your pocket without have to worry that the LCD will crack when you sit down.

AManInJapan

If I went to the apple store and tried to put some force on a Nano to see if it would break..and it did break..would I have to pay for it or anything? The store was so busy the last time I went I dont think anyone would notice If I just bounced.