Cracked lcd

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

teski

handletom said:
I have no idea how it happened. I noticed it after a sync. I do not think it broke in my pocket. I do not know how it broke. It is truly a mystery to me.

I bought it a a local store and they will not accept a return. Apple will not either. There is a small possibility that Apple may replace it if I call a certain number and talk to someone who has the ability to approve a replacement. I do not think they will since I did not buy it at an Apple store.
Hmm...I'm not in a position to question you because I don't know how you treat your stuff, but the screens don't crack just sitting there...No matter how sensitive they may be. Sounds like it happened when it was in your pocket. If the screen cracked during normal use, then Apple should do something about it.

Teski

Sulphide

Everyone says their nano's LCD apperently crack when they're in their pockets...ever think of standing up or walking into something with a sharp edge like a table or desk? Things do not crack or break spontaniously.

-Sulphide

handletom

Sulphide said:
Everyone says their nano's LCD apperently crack when they're in their pockets...ever think of standing up or walking into something with a sharp edge like a table or desk? Things do not crack or break spontaniously.

-Sulphide
I believe electronic things can break for reasons that do not involve operator error. If you can not believe that a LCD or anything else ever breaks because of a manufacturing error-- then I think your position is silly.

I understand your position: users are ALWAYS at fault because electronics are always manufactured perfectly. I just disagree.

I believe that normal use , not involving running into doors, falling down steps, being hit with a bamboo stick, missing a baseball , Lambada dancing with a robot or-having one's body used by a gorilla to roll out flour to make a tortilla , should not cause this kind of damage.

If the Nano is as fragile as an egg then I do believe it should have a warning as such on it. I bought a portable music player so I think that carrying it around is normal use.

HawkiPod

handletom, what model nano do you have? Some have suggested that they think it might just be a bad batch. My wife's was a 4gb white nano and I'm wondering if the other cracked lcd's are also 4gb white.

handletom

HawkiPod said:
handletom, what model nano do you have? Some have suggested that they think it might just be a bad batch. My wife's was a 4gb white nano and I'm wondering if the other cracked lcd's are also 4gb white.
It is a 4GB White Nano.

HawkiPod

As far as my wife's goes I don't think that it broke spontaneously either. She must have done something to break it. The problem I see with this whole thing is that she wasn't doing anything that should have caused it to break. She doesn't know exactly how it cracked but I think it just bent in her pocket, the nano shouldn't break that easily though.

teh-cut

teski said:
Just looking at them? Come on. I have a number of Canon cameras and have been shooting digital cameras for over 7 years without an LCD crack. I've been through 3 iPods without a cracked LCD. Things don't crack just sitting there. Something contributed to it like being in a pocket or having pressure of some sort...Maybe even pressing the fingers or thumb on it during normal use.

Teski
You're missing the boat here.

We're not talking about a cracked EXTERIOR Screen. We're talking about an LCD rupturing internally for no apparent reason. Could be power or manufactuaring related and seems to be in this case as opposed to some type of hard blunt trauma that somehow leaves no external marks.

I was referring to canon's SD camera series, not general canon cameras. They had the same probelm, many sd300-400-500 have their color LCD screen rupture for no apparent reason,force,or exterior damage.

Your past digital camera experince and past ipods that don't have the name nano on them have no bearing here.

The question we have to ask in these few cases is gonna be "How widespread is this probelm/defect" not, "how'd you break it, with your thumbs or in your pocket?".

If their screens were manufactuared the same as most other nanos and already we're seeing almost 10 reports through a few different message boards in the first week,, this COULD get ugly.

handletom

Giganano said:
handletom is trying to get this thread shut down. Maybe he's really matty1979…
I am trying to keep this thread on TOPIC.

As for your theories please report them to the adminsitrators here or keep them to yourself.

Do yourself a favor if you don't like the thread: stop reading it. No one here has called you a name,impugned your motives or questioned your ancestry. You did two of these three to me in your last point.

This thread is about people who have had their iPod Nano's LCD Screen break. It's not about you.

Thank you,
Tom

Last edited:

carsncars

Website
carsncars.vze.com
Sometimes when things are in your pocket, they can be subjected to more pressure than you'd think-- walking, sitting, etc., so I can easily see how it could've cracked due to the pressure. Sometimes it's just a certain way it was stressed, etc... Unless there are many more people with this problem, I don't think it's an 'issue'. I think there are LCD-cracking issues with most players with large-ish screens.

If Apple won't replace it.. try using your credit card's protection, or watch out for those iPod repair services to have Nano services. These things happen, unfortunately...

random person

From a physics point of view, the smaller the screen size the less likely it is to be damaged. The problem with recent vintage Canon SD cameras, for example, is that the lcd size is larger and therefore more prone to damage. I would think, therefore, that the Nano's screen should be more durable, not less, than the larger Ipod screens. Unless, of course, it is covered by a thinner/inferior material.

That said, I must say since I've gotten the Nano I've placed it in my pocket while walking or sitting most gingerly -- I never forget it's there, and I never would simply sit with it in my pocket without thinking. It is an lcd panel after all -- and it can break.

I think MadPict made the most sense of all when he talked about the demonstration of the nano's size, etc. Just because it can fit in your pocket does not necessarily mean that it's wise to forget it's there, sit without thinking, etc. It's an lcd panel -- they do break. They have broken on Minis and full Ipods and cameras and all of those things.

If it is a bad batch, I am sure Apple will quietly take the offending items back. Will they publicly admit to a problem? I doubt it-- not good business practice. Will they quietly replace and repair? I should think so.

justinkoko

v6king said:
Honestly, I have to admit that I'm somewhat dissapointed with the NANO in some aspects.... I had the nano the first day for 4 hours and it has 10000 scratches... I've tried to get a replacement at my local Applestore, (claiming my battery is acting weird) and they have NO IDEA when they will recieve them again!! I think that they should SELL ALONG WITH THE NANO A PROTECTOR SLIDE IN CASE like the PSP. I've called APPLESTORE on the phone and I WAS EXTREMELY UNHAPPY WITH THE SERVICE THEY GAVE ME - IMO APPLE will never be what it used to be...!!!!!!

I DON'T THINK THESE PICS COULD BE REAL.. the NANO disectomy proved otherwise... check it out.
::JP
dude whatever...you are accusing apple of bad service because they couldn't replace your false battery problem? I'm glad they didn't have any ipod nano to replace yours! Come on..have some conscience..

Coming back on the topic...pople who are complaining about the nano's durability...let me just say this.. What you gain in portability..you will equally lose in durability..although it isn't made of titanium..it isn't made like feather either.. if you aren't responsible enough to baby your precious device..go get yourself a regular ipod and be happy...problem solved!

Last edited:

SicMX

I gotta admit it does scratch way too easily and thats why i need some kind of protective case for it, and quick.

handletom i know no one's been abusing the nanos, but if you actually broke it while it was in your pocket without any stuff there must be some kind of factory defect on some of the nanos, cause atleast i would have thought that apple would have a product like this tested and so on, but you never know.
I actually really like my old 2nd generation 20gb iPod cause it's taken massive abuse (dropped on the ground ect.), and it's still working without any problems for abit over 3 years now. It's almost a shame to have to sell it =)

handletom

A followup from my cased:

The reseller (Fry's electornics) has blown me off.

Apple's Custoemr Relations department has agreed to replace my iPod Nano.

They say it's a one time exception to the rule. Usually they do not replace items bought at resellers but they feel that Fry's is handling it poorly.

The bad news: the Nano is out of stock and it may take two weeks to get a new one.

GadgetGuru72

handletom said:
A followup from my cased:

The reseller (Fry's electornics) has blown me off.

Apple's Custoemr Relations department has agreed to replace my iPod Nano.

They say it's a one time exception to the rule. Usually they do not replace items bought at resellers but they feel that Fry's is handling it poorly.

The bad news: the Nano is out of stock and it may take two weeks to get a new one.
That sounds like great news. Congrats.

By the way, what exactly happened with Fry's? How did they "blow you off"? I'm just curious because the only problem I've ever had returning anything at Fry's is the length of time it takes to accomplish a return. They have one of the slowest systems I've ever experienced. You have to wait in one looooooong and sloooooooow line to get your item returned, but they only hand you a piece of paper with your refund amount. Then, you have to take that piece of paper to the "regular" checkout lines to get your money back. However, if you're willing to endure that torture, they've always been very lenient with returns. I was just curious what your experience was.

handletom

GadgetGuru72 said:
That sounds like great news. Congrats.

By the way, what exactly happened with Fry's? How did they "blow you off"?
They would not let me return it due to "damage" and pointed to the line on the receipt that said that. The person there had no authority to let me return it and would not call anyone on the phone who would.

I asked her "Where did I fail as a consumer in this?" and she just pointed to the line on the receipt. I asked that if I bought the player, went home, found it damaged and came back at 9am the next morning if they would have let me exchange it and she said "No." Then she used the customer service brush off techniques such as not making eye contact, repeating the same "I can't help you", refusing to call a store manager on the phone, and using body language that said she was done with me.

I want to state that I am a large man but I am very aware to not lean into people, yell, clench my fists, shake with rage and fury, stare down, or do anything threatening. My job in this situation is to try to get the item exchanged and not to intimidate people.

Both store managers were not in on Friday at 7pm.

Neither of them have returned the three voicemail messages I left with them and their customer service line in Sacremento does not have a voicemail box.

Usually Fry's will take anything back. That's a reason I shop there, because there prices range from retail to 10% off. And they had the Nano in stock

I expressed my displeasure to Apple and Apple agrees Frys is handling this poorly.

random person

handletom I am delighted that Apple has decided to replace your nano. Regardless of what/how it happened, it is good to see them stand behind their products and to try to keep customers satisfied.

Pekkle

Ok, Got some chance to play with Bestbuy's iPod nano instead of mine. and I pushed pretty hard with my nail, and the screen don't even change any colored at all. so I know the plastic outside is strong enough. However my nail did made scratch marks on the screen though. So there might be some other issue that is cracking the LCD instead of bumps or sits in a pocket.. just my 2 cents.

mekmek86

Pekkle said:
Ok, Got some chance to play with Bestbuy's iPod nano instead of mine. and I pushed pretty hard with my nail, and the screen don't even change any colored at all. so I know the plastic outside is strong enough. However my nail did made scratch marks on the screen though. So there might be some other issue that is cracking the LCD instead of bumps or sits in a pocket.. just my 2 cents.
Same here, the screen flexed a lot when i pushed it but i never touched the lcd, so somehow it must be coming from the ipod bending while in the pocket. in which case would be a design flaw. you dont make something that tiny and not expect people to put it in their pockets. im also even more surprised that there is no belt clip for it to at least promote people from doing so if its this fragile.

Jesse Hollington

Administrator
Website
www.ilounge.com
Well, to be fair, I don't think anybody's suggesting that the Nano isn't designed to be put in your pockets at all, but rather that like any expensive item, care should be taken.

I carry my full-size iPod in my pocket sometimes without a case or anything else on it, but I would never put it in a tight jeans pocket, or a back pocket, or any other area like that which might subject it to stress or pressure. I'm also careful to put it in a pocket that doesn't have other items in it such as keys, pocket knives, or anything else that might rattle around with it.

I agree that it's ridiculous to say that the Nano is not designed to be put in your pocket, but some common sense should still apply... If you're wearing jeans that are so tight you can tell which way the change in your pocket is facing, then perhaps that's not the best place for a $250 electronic device.

Note that I'm not suggesting that anybody here with a broken screen necessarily did this... Product and manufacturing flaws do occur, and in fact I've seen LCD screens crack under conditions that had nothing to do with stress or impact (many other factors such as temperature and humidity can apply here). However, at this point I'm suspecting a manufacturing defect in a single batch, or at a single facility, rather than an inherent design flaw.